Hearts financial situation....

Tynecastle debt rises to �£28.4m

Valdimir Romanov

Debt has risen since Vladimir Romanov took charge at Hearts

Hearts have notified shareholders that the club debt has risen by �£6.9m to �£28.4m in the last year.

In majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov's first year in charge, the club has posted losses of �£5.2m for the year to the end of July 2006.

Salary costs at Tynecastle have doubled to �£10m, up from around �£5m the previous year.

Just wondering, what is our current debt and what's our wage bill looking like now?

If I was a Jambo, those figures would scare the living daylights out of me. Even moreso when they probably only have Craig Gordon who could now command a decent transfer fee and they're out of the cup as well.

Are they not in danger of a downward spiral out of control now?

They aren't in danger as long as Vlad keeps the loans going and as long as he retains interest. He has a boat load of money so that isn't an issue.

Hearts are in the same potential predicament Chelsea are in - a very rich owner who is putting their financial wellbeing under pressure but is bank-rolling it - if he decides he has had enough Hearts, like Chelsea, would then be in the shit !

Yes, that's the thing, that so long as Vlad is there, it doesn't really matter as he owns the bank who are underwriting the debt. I guess its kind of like DM, where he could get rid of the debt by transferring it to other companies.

But I don't understand his business plan. They're talking about a new stand at Tynecastle, but how are they going to fill it when their team seems to be getting weaker after every transfer window? They missed a great chance last season to finally challenge for the title when Burley was in charge. I also think they've missed a great chance this year to open up a lead on us for second place. From here on in, I think we'll get stronger which kind of makes you wonder what Vlad hopes to achieve on the pitch with Hearts?