They made a total dogs dinner of the last so-called reconstruction, so I'd be in favour of them fixing and cleaning up their mess by doing it right and expanding the size of the leagues because having a 4 tier professional football system in a country the size of Scotland (population wise) is a complete joke.

Edited by Zappa

Can someone remind me what the reason for the rejection of an expanded league was?

If it was simply to get 4 Old Firm games, how that in accordance with 'sporting integrity'?

Edited by Rousseau

As horrendously flawed as the current system is, I can't think of one that would be more attractive, bar going back to a 10 team league.

I absolutely hate the current split in the top flight. The unequal number of home and away fixtures pre-split is ugly, and the whole reason behind it (having a more exciting finish to the season) is undermined when the authorities painstakingly avoid the possibility of an Old Firm decider.

Boring as it may sound, I'm convinced the best system for a league of our scale is a 10 team top flight. The only other option would be to do something really novel like the Belgian Pro League (16 teams with bewilderingly complex play-offs for the title, European spots and relegation). I fear Scottish football traditionalists would hate that more than the current split though.

Edited by Thinker

A 16 team top flight is the most popular option according to Scottish football fan polls, but my own preference would be to move to an 18 team Premiership/top flight and a 24 team 2nd tier. I would guess it'll never happen though, primarily because the TV broadcasters won't be satisfied with only having 2 guaranteed Old Firm games.

It may come to pass quite soon as we are approaching the point where there is so little money coming into the Scottish game with or without TV that the difference in reverting back to Saturday kick offs at 3 (wth the occassional TV game at another time by STV or BBCeltic) will be marginal in financial terms. I can't see Sky or BT Sport offering much in the next 'negotiation' rounds and increased gates for Saturdays at 3 would compensate to a degree if they just buggered off and left the game alone.

Edited by SteveC

A 16 team top flight is the most popular option according to Scottish football fan polls, but my own preference would be to move to an 18 team Premiership/top flight and a 24 team 2nd tier. I would guess it'll never happen though, primarily because the TV broadcasters won't be satisfied with only having 2 guaranteed Old Firm games.

That's correct Zappa, although there was quite alot of support amongst fans for an 18 team league it was very much second choice.

Of course both 16 and 18 team leagues imply only playing each other twice a season but SD had a solution in the Fan's Plan with a return to an old style regionalised sectional league cup, which would produce other additional derby games as well.

When I was involved I did point out that there was a law of diminishing returns where the old firm games were concerned and that conversely if there were only two such a season then there would be a scarcity value as well. If you remember back to when we played them 7 times in a season Rangers couldn't sell all the tickets for the cup tie.

We put forward 2 leagues of 16 because there are far too many so called senior football teams in Scotland anyway.

Pre-SPL old firm games, especially at New Year, really were something to look forward to but in recent years typically playing 5 or 6 times, sometimes became a bit routine.

If there is to be any reconstruction it should take place with effect from the end of next season so that everyone knows what they have to do at the start of the season. Moving teams about at a whim is just wrong and will turn Scottish football into even more of a joke.