Gordon Waddell: Where is Rangers' sleeping support?...

Unnecessary line breaks are the norm for shitty tabloid/red top newspapers like the Record. Most of Jackson's pieces use them and Jim Traynor's used to too, so without having studied it in any way, I'd guess it's probably just a general editorial stance on padding pieces out when writers don't really have much to say or submit short (and/or to the point) pieces.

I disagree.

Information provided in small sections

is easier to read

and understand.

Like writing on a blackboard

I disagree.

Information provided in small sections

is easier to read

and understand.

Like writing on a blackboard

It's symptomatic of a general 'dumbing-down'. 'The Gruffalo' is a nice piece of prose to understand, but one will not get as much out of it as Thomas Hobes' 'Leviathan'. One could argue that news pieces should be short and to-the-point, but opinion pieces should be more developed.

It's symptomatic of a general 'dumbing-down'.

In fairness, we're talking about articles which are intended for print and space in narrow columns, so the sentences span far more lines before a break than what we read online.

In fairness, we're talking about articles which are intended for print and space in narrow columns, so the sentences span far more lines before a break than what we read online.

That's very true, but there is clearly a significant difference in the quality of prose between publications. I do think the quality has decreased in the more populist publications; Even the space is smaller than it could be. I don't think it's necessary.

That's very true, but there is clearly a significant difference in the quality of prose between publications. I do think the quality has decreased in the more populist publications; Even the space is smaller than it could be. I don't think it's necessary.

My point was just that a newspaper like the Daily Record regularly use up to 6 columns per page and when you have that many columns the average word count per line is about 5 or 6 words, so single sentences can span up to 8 to 10 lines in the column. It's a pretty interesting subject though because in the print versions of articles they don't actually use line breaks as such, they just use an indent to define between sentences and new paragraphs. Personally, I find narrow newspaper and magazine columns a lot more difficult on the eye than reading full width columns online.

Edited by Zappa

I think we are confusing content and presentation.

I disagree with the content, provided reasoning for my objection. His presentation is good, succinct, pithy, and punchy. He is a columnist, thus sets out to illicit a response, and is successful in doing so.

He is a good writer.

So much of attending games has to do with habit - and once the habit is broken, it's hard to get back into it. When you have a season ticket, you just go to games. You don't think about it. the game's on; you go. Simple as that. But if you don't have a season ticket and have to think about forking out every time, arranging lifts or driving through on your own the hassel factor rises and it's more difficult to make the effort.

That's why the damage that the previous bunch of con-artists and crooks was so serious and long lasting. We will have permanently lost thousands of fans after the boycott and it will take time and success to get the next generation to come.

This is about right.

We have lost thousands of supporters. They will continue to count themselves as fans but rarely or never go.

The article highlights the fact that our attendance numbers are significantly less than was anticipated. I have no problem with that because they are.