Surely Not - Dick Advocaat

Surprised by that, if there was one thing i'd have said about Advocaat, it would have been that he was a straight shooter

United Arab Emirates

In July 2005, Advocaat signed a one-year contract to become coach of the United Arab Emirates,[31] but he terminated this contract in September to become manager of South Korea's national team from 1 October 2005 until the end of the 2006 World Cup.[32] During his tenure with the UAE, Advocaat was manager for two games at the 1st International Arab Friendly Tournament in Switzerland.[33] UAE won the first game against Kuwait 7–6 on penalties after the match had finished 1–1.[34] They lost the final to Egypt 4–5 on penalties, following a 0–0 draw in normal time.[35]

This is the one van Hanegem said he sneaked out the hotel room in the middle of the night.

On 15 April 2010, Advocaat left as manager of the Belgian national team after breaking his contract with the KBVB (Belgian soccer association) amid speculation that he was to become coach of the Russian national team.[74] Advocaat was later appointed Russia manager, and announced his intention to leave AZ Alkmaar at the end of the season.[75] On 22 April 2010, it was announced that Gertjan Verbeek would take over as AZ manager the following season. Under Advocaat, AZ finished fifth in the league entering the third qualifying round of the 2010–11 UEFA Europa League.

The Little General as they call him has little faithfulness and goes where the price is right whether he has a contract or not.

Advocaat as DoF with Numan as manager/head coach would be interesting!

Numan has a very good reputation from his time with the Dutch U20's. He would be a risk, but one that I would happily take.

Numan has a very good reputation from his time with the Dutch U20's. He would be a risk, but one that I would happily take.

I would much rather take on a continental manager that could be a 'risk' than an SPL manager who would have virtually no chance of being any better than mediocre, and would certainly never get us anywhere in Europe. Any manager is a risk and in our predicament there is going to be no easy/obvious choice. We can either fix our club and go with someone talented or we can stick with the same old.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Our best runs in Europe have all been with Scottish managers.

We've only ever had Scottish Managers (except for two), and, omitting the 2008 UEFA cup run, they've hardly been outstanding in Europe. The football was poor. It depends what you define a 'good run'. I would suggest it's not going to be exactly challenging for titles. We should have an infrastructure in place to challenge for EU titles, or at the least get as deep as possible. FC Porto are a relatively small side, but punch above their weight in Europe.

We seem to have 2 standards: one for domestic competitions, where we expect to beat everyone playing good football; then one for Europe, where we expect to defend games out and try to 'sneak it'. If the latter standard creeps into our domestic game it's 'not worthy of the jersey', but in Europe it's a tactical masterclass. Now, it may be pragmatic, but I want something better for our team. We need 1 standard where we play decent football and are able to match any European opponent.

I think a Scottish manager is only going to get us so far as they are dependent on the quality of player, whereas a proper 'coach' (continental or otherwise) would be able to get us playing a decent brand of football, with players developed to be technically as good as most European opponents.

(Sorry GS, that wasn't really aimed at you, just the first paragraph; it just sort of spilled out!)

Can't see it.

Advocaat is largely a chequebook manager and he won't get much funds returning to Rangers. As some sort of DoF he may be a good option but I doubt he'd settle for a return to that position which he held for a short while in 2002.

As much as I liked Advocaat at the time I hope he doesn't come back at all.

He certainly doesn't fit as a manager for the reason that you state. That would go against what King said about looking for a coach rather than a manager.

As much as I liked Advocaat at the time I hope he doesn't come back at all.

He certainly doesn't fit as a manager for the reason that you state. That would go against what King said about looking for a coach rather than a manager.

In fact Dave King specifically used him as an example of what he didn't want, I'm paraphrasing but he said something like, we don't want someone who simply comes in and manages the players like a Dick Advocaat for instance...