'Fans are going mad here; the stewards will do well to keep order!'

The words in the title will bring back goose-bumps for any Rangers fan. Gerry McNee was never our most favoured of media broadcasters but his commentary ten years ago today did justice to what was an incredible day for Rangers fans and seen the unlikely Helicopter Sunday phrase etched into Old Firm history. We kept believing and big Marvin Andrews didn't let us down!

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/current-affairs/391-fans-are-going-mad-here-the-stewards-will-do-well-to-keep-order

Former Celtic star Chris Sutton admits: 'I'll never get over agony of Helicopter Sunday'

Celtic lost the title on the final day of the season exactly 10 years ago

Chris Sutton put Celtic ahead but Motherwell scored two late goals

Rangers clinched the title with a 1-0 win against Hibernian at Easter Road

By Lindsay Herron

Published: 01:45, 22 May 2015 | Updated: 01:45, 22 May 2015

Chris Sutton admits he will never get over the agony of having the title wrenched from Celtic’s grasp on the final day of the season exactly 10 years ago.

The Englishman’s goal at Fir Park had Martin O’Neill’s side seemingly coasting towards the SPL crown until Scott McDonald’s two dramatic late goals for Motherwell handed the crown to Rangers, who had won 1-0 at Easter Road.

Sutton had endured some huge disappointments in his illustrious Parkhead career, including a previous last-day loss of the Championship to their Ibrox rivals in 2003 and the UEFA Cup Final defeat to Porto the same year, but this was the worst.

‘Quite simply we blew it,’ he recalled of Helicopter Sunday in 2005. ‘To get so close, there is no worse feeling. It still rankles to this day.

‘There are moments in your career you can’t forget and that was one of them. I don’t think I’ll ever get over that day.

‘I had put the team ahead but, it was like any game, you need a second goal. We had chances in fairness but I have to give begrudging credit to Motherwell.

‘The dressing room afterwards was an eerie place. There are no words to describe it really and nobody could have said anything that would have made the situation better.’

Six days later, Celtic lifted the Scottish Cup at Hampden when Alan Thompson’s goal was enough to defeat Dundee United 1-0 but it was of little consolation to Sutton.

In the immediate aftermath of the last-day title loss in 2003 he had accused Dunfermline of lying down to Rangers when they lost 6-1 at Ibrox. He also made disparaging remarks about ex-Parkhead keeper Gordon Marshall trying too hard as Celtic won 4-0 at Kilmarnock, a result which saw O’Neill’s men fall just short as the Ibrox side lifted the crown on goal difference.

But the former Blackburn Rovers and Chelsea striker admitted he couldn’t attach any blame or cast aspersions on others following Helicopter Sunday in 2005.

‘We won the Cup the week after the Motherwell defeat which was some solace but the league was the one we wanted,’ recalled Sutton.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3092098/Former-Celtic-star-Chris-Sutton-admits-ll-never-agony-Helicopter-Sunday.html#ixzz3aqjucHK5

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I was actually listening to the Rangers TV audio commentary on that day, still done by some pundit alongside a Radio Clyde (methinks) reporter. On that day it was some Gallagher chap, IIRC - would have to get the MC out (as I obviously taped the game). He was saying the helicopter line as well ... and that was better than McKnee's one, which I only heard days after. That was a great day, when you expect the Scum doing their job and looking good for the title, only for that Aussie to step into the fray and thwart them late on.

Edited by der Berliner