Summer 2015 - Transfers and Rumours Thread

Stuart Dallas - Brentford -> 43 games, 8 goals, 2 assists for Brentford last season

http://www.transfermarkt.de/stuart-dallas/leistungsdaten/spieler/158764

McKay, Walsh, Murdoch, Hardie, Gallagher ... Wilson, Wallace, McGregor, Zaliukas ... maybe Vuckic, Macleod and Allan. We sure have done worse lately.

Edited by der Berliner

Snatched from FF

Bid accepted for Rob Kiernan Defender from Wigan according to SSN.

24 years old, English born and has played for the RoI at Under 21 Level.

Rob Kiernan - http://www.transfermarkt.de/rob-kiernan/profil/spieler/99463

Rangers boss Mark Warburton makes move for Wigan defender Rob Kiernan

By Lyall Thomas

Wigan have accepted a bid from Rangers for defender Rob Kiernan, according to Sky sources.

rob-kiernan-birmingham_3265571.jpg?20150217120637

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11748/9887999/rangers-boss-mark-warburton-makes-move-for-wigan-defender-rob-kiernan

Will that kill any attempts regarding Danny Wilson?

Edited by der Berliner

Wouldn't have thought so, we're gonna need more than just McGregor and Kieran as CBs. Even if Zal is still here, then I don't imagine Wilson playing second fiddle to him.

another lift from FF:

Right back James Tavernier is meant to be our next signing target.

James Tavernier

Footballer

James Henry Tavernier is an English footballer who plays for Wigan Athletic as a defender, he is currently on loan at Bristol City.

Born: October 31, 1991 (age 23), Bradford

Height: 1.75 m

Weight: 81 kg

Career start: 2009

Current team: Bristol City F.C. (#24 / Defender)

We seem to be exclusively look at the lower leagues in English, which is understandable as that is the market Warburton knows. We will need much better than that if we want to start regularly competing in Europe once we're back in the SPL.

One step at a time. As long as they're young and promising then I'm happy. We can sign players for European campaigns when we're nearer qualification.

One step at a time. As long as they're young and promising then I'm happy. We can sign players for European campaigns when we're nearer qualification.

We really need to stop waiting until something happens before we plan for it. We should be building a team now for the years ahead, trying to identify bargains abroad who we can develop into at least Europa quality players. Winning the Scottish Cup this year and competing in the Europa in a year's time is possible and should be a realistic target. We can't just worry about it at the time, unless we want to become just another Scottish team who get beat by Irish and Welsh teams.

Getting decent players to play in the Scottish second division will be a tough one regardless who the manager is,just what European standard of player would want to join Rangers just now?

We really need to stop waiting until something happens before we plan for it. We should be building a team now for the years ahead, trying to identify bargains abroad who we can develop into at least Europa quality players. Winning the Scottish Cup this year and competing in the Europa in a year's time is possible and should be a realistic target. We can't just worry about it at the time, unless we want to become just another Scottish team who get beat by Irish and Welsh teams.

That all sounds great but we have absolutely ZERO scouting network for senior players. Warburton has already said that he will be looking to develop that as it is a vital part of the 1st team plans, to have a scouting AND youth development network. Whilst it is easy to say "we should be building a team now for the years ahead" Warburton has just stepped in the front door, needs virtually a full team and, quite naturally, will look to players who he knows well and can see would improve upon what we already have.

Once the scouting network is functioning properly one would hope that he would tell a scout to find him a particular type of player that fits what is actually needed.

I'm not surprised he is looking to sign players he knows, even if they are lower league English players (you yourself have said plenty of times that lower league in England is still far better than the SPFL players - so this would, for now at least, look like an improvement on what we have as well as have us in a strong position upon re-entering the SPFL) - at that time you have an increased revenue, you are in the top flight and so expected to challenge and make Europe, and would more than likely see us signing a higher caliber of player.

Lets also not forget that the players mentioned are two players who NOBODY had any kind of inkling that we would be trying to sign them. How do you know that Warburton isn't also looking at the continental market ? We need AT LEAST 7 or 8 players (I personally think that is conservative) - so if these two are signed then we still have 75% of signings to go - we don't know if they will be British or not.

I agree, but I doubt achieving a Europa League spot for the 2016/17 season is realistic. I think you assume young British players will not progress to Europa League standard, whereas I think they can. We've shown intent by targeting young players (One so far, but we can presume that's the type Warburton's after), and if they progress in the right way we will have a squad capable of qualifying for the Europa League in a few years time; In that regard, we are signing players capable of -- potentially -- competing in the Europa League. I also concur with Ian1964, that we're not really in a position to sign Europa League-standard players while we're in the Championship.

I think the planning we agree should happen entails buying younger, British-based, players with a modern-game style and plenty of promise at the present time. I think Europe is a few years off yet, and we'll only be able to sign the appropriate players when we have a realistic chance of finishing in a European spot in the Premiership.

Edited by Rousseau