New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

Talks held with Warburton.

I am certainly coming around to him and think its a fresh approach. The David Weir factor is a good one and he will surely help with the defence problems.

Rangers have held discussions with former Brentford boss Mark Warburton about the manager's job at Ibrox.

Warburton, 52, is believed to be one of a number of candidates being considered along with current boss Stuart McCall.

Former Rangers captain David Weir, who assisted Warburton at Brentford, has also been spoken to.

The Ibrox side will be in the Scottish Championship next season after losing the Premiership play-off final against Motherwell.

McCall's side lost 6-1 over two legs against his former club, allowing the Fir Park outfit to preserve their Premiership status.

The 50-year-old former Rangers player returned to Ibrox as manager in March, taking over from Kenny McDowall, and guided the side through the play-off quarter-final and semi-final after they finished third in the Championship.

He has stated his desire to stay in the job.

Former Enfield and Boreham Wood defender Warburton joined Brentford as first-team coach in 2011 and took over as manager following Uwe Rosler's departure in late 2013.

Promotion from League One to the Championship followed at the end of season 2013-14.

However, the Bees announced in February that Warburton would depart at the end of the season. Dutchman Marinus Dijkhuizen was appointed Brentford's new head coach on Monday.

Speaking about Rangers on Monday, Warburton said: "From my point of view they are a massive club.

"I have huge respect for the size of the club and the fan base at Rangers. Who wouldn't?

"I am well aware of the tradition and history of the club so I would never be anything other than absolutely respectful of a club of that stature."

It would be interesting to know who will be on Warburton's list, as he sure wil have a good knowledge of the English lower leagues.

As stated previously Warburton had at least six players from the EPL clubs in London as loan players, hardly lower league.

As stated previously Warburton had at least six players from the EPL clubs in London as loan players, hardly lower league.

The vast majoprity of championship teams have players from the EPL on loan , infact 1 year Watford had an entire team of loanees from the EPL and abroad

IMO the important point here is Warburton at least seems to have contacts in the game which would allow him to source players.

No idea if McCall has contacts but McCoist certainly didn't seem to have judging by him flying half way round the world and coming back with Peralta

Any manager with a decent reputation will be able to attract a decent level of loanee. No club in its right mind would have loaned players to us over the last few years, which explains why we ended up with half a dozen of Newcastle's walking wounded. But if clubs think their players will return more rounded, exposed to perhaps lower quality but higher pressure then it doesn't have to be Claudio Ranieri...anyone half decent will do for that part of the job.