New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

I was talking to his brother a few months ago and he said Mark was sorry to be leaving Scotland so I also think he will jump at it. His brother is the agent that organises the Rangers pre season tours over here. He is good friends with McCoist and Yogi Hughes he told me. It was when I was in hospital at the beginning of the year and the man in the next bed was his father-in-law. When he heard I was a Scot and Rangers supporter he started singing the sash and ended with FTP. As I had no idea who he was at that point I was in utter shock.

I am not sure if Mark Wotte has really done anything great in football management but he seems to have a good reputation on the technical side of the game and a lot of technical directors have not been managers so I suppose it takes other skills.

Wotte brought into the club in what capacity? How would Wotte restructure the club?

I'm sorry but we need to get to specifics. He would need to have a specific job and the effectiveness of how he did that job would need to be measured. We cannot simply be seen to be handing out jobs to anyone passing. FWIW I'm not entirely convinced he did that great a job at the SFA

Wotte,s big thing was the pro youth and central training academies , such as those at Ravenscraig and Hollyrood , both have been a disaster and as for pro youth it's the worst thing ever to have happened to youth football .

Leagues at all ages have been decimated as bigger teams come in , cherry pick whole batches of players then done play them , only yo real ease them in a matter of months

Former Rangers manager Alex McLeish has not been contacted about a return to lead Rangers, BBC Scotland has learned.

McLeish managed at Ibrox between 2001 and 2006, winning two league titles and two Scottish Cups.

The board are speaking to a number of candidates after Stuart McCall failed to overcome Motherwell in Sunday's play-off final.

The 56-year-old was recently in charge of Belgian side Genk, assisted by ex-Rangers midfielder Alex Rae.

Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme, Rae said he would welcome an opportunity to return to Rangers with McLeish in a managerial capacity, but admitted he was unaware if McLeish had been approached as yet.

"For me, I think it would be ideal," said Rae.

"It would be a great opportunity to come back to the team I supported, but what I'm led to believe is that no-one has contacted him from within Ibrox.

"It's a bit disrespectful, because Stuart is still currently the manager.

"Time is of the essence. I think part of the due diligence is spilled over for a couple of months which normally wouldn't have been the case.

"For me, I would love someone to pick the phone up - whether it's just as a consultant to get Alex ideas.

"I don't even know who is consulting Rangers, as we speak in terms of football matters and what direction to go.

"They are obviously three very good businessmen, but in terms of football, I don't know who is giving them a steer."

Rae arrived at Ibrox in 2004 and spent two years there, playing 34 games. He went on to manage at Dundee from 2006-2008 before spending time at MK Dons on a temporary basis working under his former Wolves teammate Paul Ince.

Last year, he became assistant manager at Genk, working with Alex McLeish, finishing 6th in the Belgian Pro League.

"It was a difficult ask for us, in terms of being away from our families for a year," said Rae of his experiences in Belgium.

"The football side was tremendous, it was great to work under Alex.

"It was 10 years ago I played under him, and he's matured into a top manager.

"When I saw him when he was younger he was confrontational and full of energy. I was a bit surprised when I worked hand in hand with him, how relaxed he was about things.

"Ultimately, you would like to have a go again, because you get that flavour for management, and it never leaves you, and whenever that comes, I'm not in any rush, but ultimately I'd like to get back in at some stage and I'd love to work with Alex again because he was excellent - I really enjoyed working with him.

"Rangers said something about a foreign manager the other day - I'm not sure that's the road Rangers need to go down, but that's just my view.

"They might have a medium to long-term plan in place which hopefully, sooner, rather than later we'll have a better idea of."

And rightly so he shouldn't be contacted.

Not sure what Alex rae means we shouldn't go down the route of foreign managers. For me nationality doesn't matter, its all about the right man.

Rangers boss hunt: We profile the runners and riders in race to take Ibrox hotseat

11:43, 3 June 2015

By Andrew McInnes

MARK WARBURTON has already revealed he is keen on the job but here are other names that could be in the frame.

IT’S a crucial decision facing Dave King and Co as they weigh up who to name as Rangers’ next manager.

Following the club’s failure to win promotion to the Premiership, a strong group of candidates has emerged to try to revive their stalled fortunes, with some names inevitably expected to come out of left field.

Here Record Sport Online runs the rule over the runners and riders in the race become manager.

MARK WARBURTON (Age 52).

Credentials: Warburton didn't exactly follow the traditional route into football management. After a minor career as a player he became a highly-successful trader in the City of London, earning millions before chucking it all to become a youth coach at Watford. Subsequently funded his coaching education at some of Europe's biggest clubs, including Barcelona. Last season he took lowly Brentford into the Championship, and was released after their semi-final defeat to Middlesbrough in last month's Premier League play-offs. He would almost certainly appoint former Rangers captain David Weir as his assistant.

Likelihood of being appointed: High. He has already expressed his desire for further talks with Rangers and is the current odds-on favourite with the bookmakers. Worked wonders on a small budget at Brentford and is exactly the kind of 'outside the box' Ronny Deila-style appointment the club needs. He's also very enthusiastic about youth football, having founded the NextGen series, and his financial expertise could help guide the Glasgow team through a very sticky period.

STUART McCALL (50).

Credentials: A former star midfielder for the club (1991-98) during their fabled nine-in-a-row heyday, he managed Bradford City before going on to work wonders as the manager of Motherwell, who he incredibly led to back-to-back second-place finishes in the top flight and the qualifying stages of the Champions League. McCall is currently part of the coaching team for Scotland, for whom he won 40 caps.

Likelihood of being appointed: Slim. He stabilised the club's ropey Championship form after being appointed to the hotseat in March and delivered on his remit of taking them into the play-offs. However, their performances were sluggish in the end-of-season knockout games and the team were humiliated 6-1 over two legs by his old club Motherwell in the Final. Can point to his exceptional record on low budgets but may already be perceived as being 'damaged goods'.

BILLY DAVIES (51)

SNS Group

Former Motherwell boss Billy Davies watches Rangers' defeat to Raith Rovers in the Scottish Cup

Credentials: Played with Rangers as a young midfielder, before going on to carve out a career at St Mirren, Dunfermline and Motherwell. Went on to manage Well for three years before heading south to take charge at Preston, Derby and Nottingham, Forrest (twice). Has been out of work since his controversial second spell at the City Ground came to an end in March 2014.

Likelihood of being appointed: Has been linked with the Rangers job on numerous occasions and is desperate for the appointment. But his star has fallen in recent years and his passion probably won't be enough to land his dream post.

DEREK McINNES (43)

Credentials: Joined Rangers as a midfielder from Morton in 1995 but went on to make only 35 appearances in five years before joining West Brom, who he captained in the English Premiership. Had spells with Dundee United and Millwall, before going on to manage St Johnstone and Bristol City. Was appointed Aberdeen boss in 2013 and has been the driving force behind the club's long-awaited.

Likelihood of being appointed: McInnes is reportedly on the shortlist and would be a popular choice among some fans. But having already led Aberdeen to League Cup success in 2014 and the Dons’ first runners-up spot in 21 years, he may feel he has unfinished business in the Granite City.

IAN CATHRO (28)

Credentials: Cathro never made it as a professional player but his knowledge of the game and determination to learn led to his appointment as the head of the Dundee United youth academy at the age of only 22. He went on to be the assistant manager of Portuguese side Rio Ave before following his boss Nuno to Valencia for the 2014/15 season, where they finished fourth behind Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.

Likelihood of being appointed: He would be a progressive choice and it’s understood the board have spoken to him. Although he would be going from one of the best leagues in the world to the second flight in Scotland, the chance to become a boss in his own right would appeal.

DICK ADVOCAAT (67)

Reuters Sunderland manager Dick Advocaat celebrates at the end of the match after avoiding relegation

Sunderland manager Dick Advocaat celebrates at the end of the match after avoiding relegation

Credentials: The big-spending, spikey Dutchman brought a measure of success to the club in his former spell at Ibrox between 1998 and 2002. He is highly regarded and has managed all over the world, notably with the Dutch and Russian national teams. Led Zenit St Petersburg to victory over Rangers in the 2008 UEFA Cup Final. His most recent achievement was keeping Sunderland in the English Premier League.

Likelihood of being appointed: Slim. He turns 68 in a few months and has already announced he is going retirement. Would be tempted and is still very popular among the supporters but the club have hinted that relying on old heroes isn't the way forward for them any more.

ALEX McLEISH (56)

Credentials: Played in defence for Aberdeen during the most successful phase in their history, culminating in the 2-1 victory over Real Madrid in the 1983 European Cup-Winner's Cup Final in Gothenburg. Also a Scotland Hall of Famer, McLeish went on to manage Motherwell and Hibs, before being appointed Rangers boss in 2001. Broke Celtic's stranglehold on Scottish football, winning two league titles and five cups in five years before moving on to manage Birmingham City, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forrest and Genk, who he has just left.

Likelihood of being appointed: Has a chance and would be a popular choice for many fans. His previous success at Ibrox and subsequent experience in the English Premier League and Belgian top flight make him a strong candidate. Perhaps a key plus point is he previously took Hibs up to the top flight in 1999 following their relegation.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-boss-hunt-profile-runners-5814396

None of them excite me very much to be honest.

Dick Advocaat changed his mind over returning to Sunderland after owner Ellis Short refused to leave him alone.

The 67-year-old reluctantly turned down the offer of an extended stay on Wearside days after the Barclays Premier League season drew to a close after his successful mission to preserve the Black Cats’ top-flight status.

However, Texan businessman Short simply would not accept no for an answer and ultimately his persistence paid off.

Advocaat, who signed a one-year deal, told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf: “The club kept calling. The owner would not let go. They think I’m still fit enough and personally, I also feel that I am still fine. And it’s a wonderful club.”

The former Rangers boss was drafted in to replace Gus Poyet in March with the club entrenched in a second successive fight for Premier League survival, and with only nine games in which to turn things around.

But victory over derby rivals Newcastle in his second match set the ball rolling and in total his team collected 12 from a possible 27 points, easing themselves across the finishing line with a game to spare after a goalless draw at Arsenal.

Advocaat’s reward was to be offered an extended deal before the final-day trip to Chelsea, but after careful consideration – and not least, discussing the situation with his wife after promising his brief spell in England would be his last job in club management – he decided to opt for retirement.

However, it was a decision which barely lasted a week as Short finally got his man.

The American said: “Dick’s credentials in football are top-class and we saw what an 
impact his vast knowledge and experience had on our team and the club as a whole in just two months. Sunderland fans took him to their hearts and so did everyone at the club, so we are absolutely thrilled that he will be here longer term.”

Sunderland had turned to alternative candidates after Advocaat’s initial response, but sporting director Lee Congerton revealed they never gave up hope of persuading him to think again.

He said: “Dick was always our number one choice and we were determined we weren’t going to take ‘no’ for an answer.

“I have been in constant contact with him over the last two weeks and I’m absolutely delighted that he has agreed to return. In just a short space of time, he has bought into the club wholeheartedly and understands exactly what we need now in order to move forward.

“We have a lot of work to do to prepare for the season ahead, and that starts in earnest now.”

Advocaat has voiced the opinion that up to half a dozen quality signings would be required this summer to avoid a repeat of last season’s struggles, and he has been assured that money will be spent this summer in a bid to address the deficiencies of the squad he inherited from Poyet.

But while there is hard work to be done before a ball is kicked in earnest, he is confident he has now made the right decision.

He said: “After a lot of discussions with Ellis and Lee, they convinced me that I am the right man for the club.

“It was a great feeling to be part of Sunderland in the last few months.

“The experience was something very special and after talking with Lee, Ellis and of course my family, we all agree it is the right decision.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/sunderland-keep-advocaat-after-owner-s-persistence-1-3793430

As I predicted somewhere. The money wolf would return. He will now have a pretty big pension pot with a decent budget to buy players.

Warburton is the only one I would take from the runners and riders list. Advocaat would have been but now he has done his U turn to go back to Sunderland.

Cathro - I don't know much about him but he hasn't been a No.1 before which means he would need someone experienced along side him. Interesting choice but would still prefer Warburton.

McInnes - The best of a bad bunch but Id rather we didn't. He didn't do well down south and that is really where you can be judged. The standard in the SPL isn't even average so to take a Aberdeen side to 2nd, who should financially be better off than St Johnstone and Co, isn't a mass success.

McCall - Proved the job was too big for him IMO. Obviously didn't get a chance to play with his own squad but I didn't see much improvement from a McCoist team and decisions was similar to Ally. Agreed with other comments, if he didn't star for us in the 90s then we wouldn't even be looking at him.

McLeish - not sure where this idea has come from all of a sudden. I like Big Eck as a pundit and he was a superb defender but he was the master of playing players out of position and finished 3rd in a 2 team league.

Davies - Maybe 3 years ago I would have thought he could have been decent but now he seems to do more damage than good. Do I think he would lead Rangers back to the top of the game and into the CL? - No not IMO.

Warburton and Weir on a 5 year deal all day long for me.