New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

If Steve McLaren doesn't go to Newcastle then we should have a punt on him.

No chance whatsoever. We need to be realistic.

The only reason Warburton is being linked is because he isn't that established yet. McClaren is established in English football and will command several times what we are offering.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I'd prefer a 'youngish' coach with good player development skills, with an experienced DoF. If indeed Warburton is good with player development, and he's willing to work with a DoF, I'd be content with his appointment. He doesn't quite excite me because I don't think he's been successful for long enough: runners-up in League One and then 6th (?) in the Championship; it's a good progression but it's only 2 years, at one club.

I'd like McClaren: I think he's good at player development, he's a 'coach', had Derby playing some good stuff; success at Middlesbrough, Twente (winning a league title!), and worked under Sir Awec. His record is on another level, but like SBS says: it's perhaps a bit unrealistic.

CGc-CEXWQAAtk8N.jpg:large

There's a curious bit in this article about us being after someone else had we got promoted. First I've heard anything of this.

As for McInnes - what exactly is this Aberdeen success? a league cup when we are out of contention? He hasn't challenged the timz in the slightest (not saying he had a chance, just at a loss to why he is acclaimed for his job there) he has won a diddy cup - as did St Mirren and ICT have just won the Scottish. Why McInnes then? oh wait, an ex-player.........

Edited by SteveC

I initially was quite keen on McInnes. Though I have completely changed my mind. I don't want us going near anyone who has only looked decent in Scotland. After McLeish, McCoist, KMD and McCall it's absolutely compulsory that we get someone in who is proven at a decent level. McInnes lost 32 games at Bristol City, I would pay closer attention to that than how he performed in the joke league that is Scottish football. Although McCall's last season ended very badly, he did pretty well in his other seasons and we have seen how poor a manager he is. Someone with English or continental experience is a must.

I initially was quite keen on McInnes. Though I have completely changed my mind. I don't want us going near anyone who has only looked decent in Scotland. After McLeish, McCoist, KMD and McCall it's absolutely compulsory that we get someone in who is proven at a decent level. McInnes lost 32 games at Bristol City, I would pay closer attention to that than how he performed in the joke league that is Scottish football. Although McCall's last season ended very badly, he did pretty well in his other seasons and we have seen how poor a manager he is. Someone with English or continental experience is a must.

I don't even see how he has looked decent in Scotland. Without us, Hearts and Hibs in the league. Aberdeen should come second to Celtic. Which they did, some 17 points behind a trying for half the season only poor tim side.

I don't think we need to look at McInnes record in England - I don't think his record with Aberdeen is good enough. He has built a team that tends to lose the games that really count - all four league games against Celtic this season, the League Cup semi fin al against Dundee Utd, and the Scottish Cup tie against Dundee. Last season, although they won the League Cup, they got beaten in the Scottish Cup semi final, with an easy final in sight (Celtic were out) and they lost at home against Motherwell on the last day in the game that decided who would take second place. His record with more resources than anyone else in the Division bar Celtic isn't all that impressive. I don't know enough about Bristol's situation to say if his record there was good or bad, it may be that the they didn't have the financial resources to compete with the other teams in the Division, but I don't think it matters - his record with Aberdeen isn't good enough to suggest that he would do a good job for Rangers.