New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

... I doubt that McCall would have retained many of the 11 OOCs, but would have got in 6 to 8 new faces in and thus started a season with "his" team. Then again, I'm not sure whether he would have got the job had he won promotion.

Daily Express:

Mark Warburton will this week kick off plans to bring in an entire team of new players to Rangers after his appointment as manager is confirmed on Monday.

An entire team! Got to be happy with that.

Mark Warburton plans huge OVERHAUL at Rangers

By Iain Macfarlane

PUBLISHED: 22:20, Sun, Jun 14, 2015

MARK WARBURTON will this week kick off plans to bring in an entire team of new players to Rangers.

Former Brentford boss Warburton and ex-Ibrox skipper Davie Weir will be confirmed as the new Gers management team today, having signed three-year deals.

Ibrox chairman Dave King hopes Warburton’s managerial and recruitment skills, coupled with Weir’s coaching ability and knowledge of the club and the Scottish game, can be a winning team.

Warburton has already earmarked new players for Rangers after the Ibrox club shipped out the dead wood following their play-off flop.

And one of the first could be former Gers midfielder Lewis Macleod, who Warburton and Brentford signed for just £850,000 in January but has been troubled by injury since.

The decks have been cleared for the new Championship campaign with expensive and under-achieving players shown the door, and 52-year-old Warburton now faces a race against time to make changes. Rangers’ failure to go with a permanent boss after the departures of Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall meant they missed out on the best Bosman deals in Scotland.

And while interim manager Stuart McCall was praised for lifting morale in a final push for promotion, which ended with aggregate defeat in the play-off final, the ex-Motherwell boss did not do enough to convince the Rangers board he should land the job full-time as they looked to bring in a director of football and coaching set-up that was new to the club.

Now Warburton will use his knowledge of academy and lower league teams in England to try and find a winning blend at Ibrox.

While a youth coach at Watford and then as boss at Brentford, Warburton made his name by giving talented youngsters a chance, and his role in helping to create the NextGen series of European fixtures for top clubs also worked in his favour.

For years, Rangers’ youth policy has failed to produce, and a lack of a scouting network over the past four years has seen the club miss out on a new generation of potential stars.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/584472/Mark-Warburton-New-Squad-Players-Rangers

It hasn't taken long. . .

keith jackson ‏@tedermeatballs 8h8 hours ago

Rangers have obviously pushed the boat out to get Warburton. But let's not pretend he was their first choice. Or them his.

He was my first choice out of any of the names that have been mentioned.

When I first heard that Brentford were getting rid of him, I never for a moment thought we would be able to get him, so it's a real coup for me.

He was my first choice out of any of the names that have been mentioned.

When I first heard that Brentford were getting rid of him, I never for a moment thought we would be able to get him, so it's a real coup for me.

Looking forward to the ride.

Hope he can cope with the pressure, no honeymoon period in Glasgow.

Rangers have obviously pushed the boat out to get Warburton. But let's not pretend he was their first choice. Or them his.

Unbelievable and just shows you how the media can manipulate lies (that doesn't just go for football BTW). The only way he wasn't our first choice is probably because he may have been out of our reach!

Looking forward to the ride.

Hope he can cope with the pressure, no honeymoon period in Glasgow.

I certainly think he is thick skinned and will shrug this nonsense off. I hope he doesn't give them an inch and puts them in their place from the first question. He doesn't need to get them on side at all. All he needs to do is get Rangers playing good winning football. Pretty sure the board and Weir will make him aware that the media can be poisonous.

Mark Warburton is new Rangers manager: Stuart McCall tells new Ibrox boss he's the luckiest man in the world.. but says there are no sour grapes.

McCALL insisted there is no rancour at being overlooked by the Ibrox board after being pipped to the post by former Brentford boss Warburton.

STUART McCall lost out on the job of his dreams then told Mark Warburton he is the luckiest man alive.

Rangers have sealed a deal with Warburton and his No.2 Davie Weir to become their new management team and will be paraded at Ibrox this afternoon. The Rangers board finalised the deal yesterday with the new men putting pen to paper on three-year deals.

Former Brentford boss Warburton pipped McCall to the post as long- term successor to Ally McCoist but the man who led Gers to the play-off final last month insists there is no rancour at being overlooked.

McCall said: “Naturally, I’m disappointed not to have been appointed. Mark is a lucky man – anyone being given the job is very fortunate and I wish him all the success in the world.

“There are no sour grapes. Mark and Davie were two really strong candidates and I’m sure they will do well at the club. I’m a Rangers fan and that will never change.”

Warburton and Weir have been given assurances over their budget for players as they bid to take the club out of the Championship.

They have already identified a list of signing targets and hope to hit the ground running this week before pre-season training starts later this month.

Rangers released 11 first-team players at the end of the season and the squad needs an extensive rebuilding job if the club is to claim a place in the Premiership next season.

Warburton declined to comment last night ahead of his unveiling today but he’s delighted to land the job he wanted most after being linked with Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday.

Ex-city trader Warburton and former Gers skipper Weir teamed up last season to take Brentford to the Premiership play-offs before being axed by eccentric owner Matt Benham, a professional gambler.

Benham wants to take a more statistical approach to team selection next season in an attempt to mirror the success of his other club, FC Midtjylland, the newly-crowned Danish champions.

Warburton, 52, fought off competition from McCall and Ian Cathro to land the job, although the Rangers board had also considered an approach to Aberdeen for Derek McInnes and Olympiakos for Portuguese boss Vitor Pereira.

Warburton has been a manager in his own right for just the last 18 months but has experience at all levels of the game after quitting his job as a trader at the age of 40 to study football coaching.

A modest defender, he played early in his career under Jock Wallace at Leicester City before moving into non-league football with Enfield Town.

He rose through the ranks at Watford to become academy director before he was poached as sporting director at Brentford.

He was also one of the founders of the respected NextGen tournament for European elite youth teams before its financial collapse.

Rangers are convinced they have the man who can deliver success at first-team level while also helping to restructure their academy system at Murray Park.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-warburton-new-rangers-manager-5884130

Edited by ian1964

If Warburton wasn't the first choice....Who was??? and why didn't we get our 1st choice???

Also, what other options did Warburton have, that made him settle for us???

Warburton, 52, fought off competition from McCall and Ian Cathro to land the job, although the Rangers board had also considered an approach to Aberdeen for Derek McInnes and Olympiakos for Portuguese boss Vitor Pereira.

Amazing the way they swing things. Before the appointment it was McLeish, McInnes, McCall and Davies the papers listed. And I don't think he had to fight off McCall and Cathro at all. McCall was never in the running and Cathro probably hasn't been spoken to.