New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

The good thing about all of this is that it certainly looks less and less likely that McCall will be staying.

The new board will want their own appointment and put down their own stamp on the football side - so thankfully it looks like McCall will be gone, which is a huge positive for me as I was nervous a few weeks ago when noises seemed to suggest he'd be kept on.

Edited by MoodyBlue

Pereira has just begun his stint at Olympiakos, who are a "big club" as well, trow some money about and vie for CL glory every now and then.

In 2014–15 season, Olympiacos entered the 2014–15 UEFA Champions League group stage with hopes to repeat the last year's performance and were drawn against Atlético Madrid, Juventus and Malmö FF.[30] They had a solid performance in the group, managing to beat last year's runners-up Atletico Madrid 3–2 and eventual finalists Juventus 1–0 at Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium, but they lost the qualification for the knockout stage in the last game: Olympiacos beat Malmö FF 4–2 at home but at the same time Juventus were drawing against Atlético in Italy, securing the crucial one point they needed to qualify. Had Olympiacos and Juventus finished with the same points, Olympiacos would have qualified due to the best aggregate score (away goals) of their two games (1–0 Olympiacos win in Piraeus, 3–2 Juventus win in Turin).[30] The third place in the group gave Olympiacos the ticket for the next round of UEFA Europa League, where they were eliminated by the eventual runners-up Dnipro. Domestically, the team had a very successful season, winning the 17th Double in their history. They won their 42nd Greek Championship with 12 points difference from the second Panathinaikos and their 27th Greek Cup, beating Xanthi 3–1 in the final.[86]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympiacos_F.C.

It may show ambition, but honestly quite a bit of wishful thinking as well. The name Rangers FC is a big draw, but we will be in the 2nd tier (!) of Scottish (!) football for another season and we live in the 21st century too. Good managers rarely come because of the draw of a club' name and tradition and status ( unless it is sweetened by money). Any foreigner will want to bring in foreign talent too (and probably lots of it). Unless they know the British market and requirements inside out. I for one cannot see that happening right now and where we are. Not that I wouldn't welcome it.

FORMER Brentford gaffer admits he's held 'informal talks' with Gers representatives as the manager race hots up at Ibrox.

MARK WARBURTON revealed he is waiting for the call to ask him to become the new boss of Rangers.

However, the Light Blues have decided against a move for Olympiakos boss Vitor Pereira after talks with the former Porto chief.

Warburton confirmed he has held discussions with Rangers officials in the last few days, believed to be directors Paul Murray and John Gilligan, as they bid to get their project back on track for the Premiership.

The former Brentford boss, released at the end of the season despite taking the Bees to the brink of the Premier League, is holding off for now on a family holiday to Florida.

However, he is not certain to be offered the job as Rangers mull over a string of candidates. They include Valencia number two Ian Cathro and Stuart McCall, with other potential managers still likely to emerge from left field, like Pereira.

Warburton told Record Sport: “I can confirm I had informal talks with representatives of Rangers just a few days ago. The ball is very much with Rangers.

“It struck me the club can now look to enjoy a period of some stability and there are clearly very positive and well intentioned people now behind Rangers.

“The impression I get is that after a period of some turmoil they are looking to return Rangers to an even keel.

“The first meeting with any prospective employer is always about chemistry. Do you get on? Do your philosophies align? If you’re happy, you progress on from there and the people I spoke with from Rangers were very nice indeed.

“It’s very flattering when people speak about the great job I’ve done at Brentford and tell me my phone must be ringing off the hook.

“In reality, it’s not like that because there are a lot of good people associated with football who are in work and out of it.

“I’ve had two or three informal chats with clubs recently, but this is all new to me as I’ve never had a day out of work since I was 16.

“Usually I’d be in Florida at this time of year but I’m not sure what’s the right thing to do at this stage, although I guess we’ll see what happens in the next few days.

“I have to be very respectful because I’m sure a club like Rangers has a very big search process underway, but time is of paramount importance to every club at this stage of the year.”

Rangers sounded out former Everton target Pereira, 46, earlier this month after being drawn to his work with Porto and Olympiakos, whom he has just led to the Greek league and cup double.

Pereira was assistant to Andre Villas-Boas at Porto before taking over when the head coach moved to Chelsea three years ago. He won the Portuguese title twice before moving to Saudia Arabia then Greece.

However, Rangers decided the appointment of Pereira was just too high risk as they attempt to clinch the championship next season and win back their place in the top flight of the Scottish game.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-warburton-ball-rangers-court-5811307?

If its to be Warbuton lets get him in and let him get on with the job of re-building the sooner the better .

Agreed. Not only could Warburton be the re-making of Rangers, Rangers could be the making of Warburton. This job is a 3-5 year task and its not just promotion that's needed but its going to be a job that comes in stages, with stage 2 jumping up to the top 2 in the SPFL again then eventually back where we belong as champions and in the champions league. Warburton could really make a name for himself achieving that.

Maybe it is just me and I will say I had never heard of the guy up until he was first mentioned on here but the Warburton and Davie Weir just don't excite me at all. Davie Weir was already a failure as manager and what has Warburton really done. All he has done is gain promotion from a lower league and then take his team to a play-off thus 3rd or 4th place. How many teams get promoted have one good season because they are unknown and then get relegated the season after. The players loved him at Brentford was said but is that a reason he should be made manager of the most successful club in the world. The Rangers players loved Ally McCoist because he was increasing their handicap on the golf coarse instead of doing hard training. I would prefer someone that has actually proved to be a good manager at a high level,over a number of years. I don't see Warburton having much more experience as Ally McCoist to be honest but I hope I am wrong and will certainly give him my support if he gets the job. I just fear we will be looking for a new manager again in 2 years although I do think we will gain promotion next season but I would expect that from any half descent Rangers manager.

The Rangers players loved Ally McCoist because he was increasing their handicap on the golf coarse instead of doing hard training.

Ally gets blamed for lot but surely not for making the players worse at golf? ;)

Ally gets blamed for lot but surely not for making the players worse at golf? ;)

He probably did if he was coaching them.:)

Does a handicap go up to 1 and down to a hundred.

Or down to 1 and up to a hundred.

It depends on what way you look at it. I would increase my handicap by going up to 1. Any golfers in the tent.:D