Poor Journalism or Institutional Hatred ?

I'm not so sure. I agree there is quite a difference in definition and job responsibility, but I still think all news reporters are biased to a certain extent. In simple terms a Journalist would report news, but how they report it (tone, word choice etc.) will be refection of their own feelings and beliefs on the matter.

Aren't journalists/reporters supposed to report facts to allow the reader to make up their own mind.

Aren't journalists/reporters supposed to report facts to allow the reader to make up their own mind.

I think in the old days it was but they day's have seemingly gone and they can now write any s**** they like.

Radio 5 Live is the perfect example. Their anti-union, anti-LOs, anti-Rangers bias is becoming more obvious by the day. The presenters, their "guests", their "pundits" are all cherry picked and obviously no friends of the Union or Rangers. Campbell's opinions in particular have flip-flopped completely since he did the "who do think you are ?" TV show.

Regular pundits include - Nevin, Hartson, Lennon and others. A recent radio show guest was Sutton. Why Sutton, who gives a flying one about him apart from you know who! Jobs for the bhoys and ghirls!

It's no accident either. A road is being paved..........

This ignores Radio Five using Roddy Forsyth, Gordon Smith, Stuart McCall and Terry Butcher too. Sutton had a high profile in England, winning the league with Blackburn, playing for Chelsea, Norwich and his country he was once the most expensive player in the country. I hate him but you need to go some to suggest he's a nobody.

I've no real issue with D'art's piece, but the quote above is one-eyed in the extreme.

Although this comes up often when the football stops it's worth trying to understand why some people who culturally or socially shouldn't be obviously 'anti-Rangers' often are.

PS What does 'anti-LO' mean?

Edited by JohnMc

I knew we were hated when we were on top, but at the time I took the majority of it as banter seeing as we were the club everyone was chasing.

The level of hatred we have amassed since 2011 has actually astonished me. I have and always intend to be a fan of football for the football aspect, somewhere along the way, rivalry got lost and it has turn into something much more destructive. I hope it improves.

I knew we were hated when we were on top, but at the time I took the majority of it as banter seeing as we were the club everyone was chasing.

The level of hatred we have amassed since 2011 has actually astonished me. I have and always intend to be a fan of football for the football aspect, somewhere along the way, rivalry got lost and it has turn into something much more destructive. I hope it improves.

Lord of the Flies, mate - and we're Piggy

These last couple of years, Rangers and Rangers supporters are in a position where the usual suspects continually tell us what/how we should be thinking, and how we must act. Remember contrition from Spence and Cosgrove? We ignore their advice; in fact tell them to stick it up their collective arse, and they round on us for not doing as we've been telt.

Cosgrove keeps up the scare, he loves to indulge in vignettes, little constructed morality scenes. Who can forget his several minute telephone conversation with, 'Gordon the Jambo from Glasgow' in the immediate wake of Hearts 2-0 win over us at Tynecastle? Gordon spat the venom and Stu' purred. Who played the part of Gordon? Then, Stu' told of three lifelong friends who had been long term season ticket holders at Ibrox, but no longer attend because of shame of our immorality, and because we are not the same club. I am sure Gersnetters can see the fault line in that one, but Stu' cannot help but over egg a rancid pudding. Lastly, just last week, Cosgrove praised Dave King's love and support of fine art. Lionised him for being a collector of Irma Stern's work. Described the German born, South African's work, and applauded King's decision to hang three pieces on the walls of his offices. Tam Cowan replied, "Dave sells those three paintings and ploughs £30million into Rangers"? Cosgrove purrs the punch line, "sadly, the South African tax authorities now own those works".

This ignores Radio Five using Roddy Forsyth, Gordon Smith, Stuart McCall and Terry Butcher too. Sutton had a high profile in England, winning the league with Blackburn, playing for Chelsea, Norwich and his country he was once the most expensive player in the country. I hate him but you need to go some to suggest he's a nobody.

I've no real issue with D'art's piece, but the quote above is one-eyed in the extreme.

Although this comes up often when the football stops it's worth trying to understand why some people who culturally or socially shouldn't be obviously 'anti-Rangers' often are.

PS What does 'anti-LO' mean?

As a long term listener and fan of 5 my post is intended as a snapshot of my perception of the direction the station has taken not a thesis on it. My perceptions are not limited to how they report football, far from it. The skew is obvious (to me) across the spectrum. I listen to it daily. I simply expect balanced reporting on all issues from our national broadcaster - the institution that makes me pay a licence fee for the privilege of them pontificating to me! But when they give me Greenslade and his likes I have to baulk.

Some points -

1. I had no idea Roddy Forsyth is considered pro Rangers. I don't mind the guy but he has got my back up plenty of times with his views on us.

2. Gordon Smith could hardly be called a regular on 5.

3. Stuart McCall - as above.

4. Terry Butcher - as above. His link to 5 is primarily due to his captaincy of England.

5. Sutton was invited on to an entertainment show on 5, not a football show, as a guest for a 30 minute slot. Producer says to self - Oh yes, I know who we need this week.....Chris Sutton, that will pull the punters in..............dream on! All about contacts and scratching backs!

P.S. Forget LOs, you would not understand, not in a million years!