Wednesday 17th-Record Back Page

Good debate guys. I think from my own POV, there is a duty upon the keepers of the keys at Ibrox to build a new future for our club and team beyond just winning at all costs. The multitude of events over the last 10 years or so have tried the patience of many a fan and I have to admit it's caused to me to fall out of love with football in general. The utter neglect and contempt shown by a raft of owners/leaches over the last 5 years was bad enough to swallow but to see our entire footballing enterprise being so overlooked and abused by various individuals for me was sometimes harder to take. I can probably count on one finger the progressive decisions we have taken for the sake of our footballing ethos over this period and I genuinely feel that is about to change. No more Kenny Millers on fat wages. No more backwards thinking. We need to get a new generation of fans back through the door based on the football alone and I feel with an appointment like Warburton, we are at least giving ourselves the chance. The past is past. Let it stay there

Let's not kid ourselves on that Walter Smith is some sort of football genuis.

In a league that ranks outside onf the top 20 in Europe Smith won some trophies in a two team league. And during much of his time he had more money to spend than all the other clubs combined. Put in perspective, it's not a genuinely great story to write home and get excited about.

His brand of 'football' was utterly miserable to watch most of the time.

As for effectively appointing McCoist as manger - well that says it all.

Where were they ranked when he won those trophies though.

No point twisting the stats. We all know what they really are.

As much as I will always be appreciative of what Walter has done for Rangers, that door should be closed. It's the past and that's where it should stay. IMO our obsession with continually looking back has held us back over the last 10 years or so. It's short termism at it's worst. We need a fresh start. A blank sheet of paper. We need to move on and give this guy the time and space to help rebuild our club and lay the foundations for the next 10/20/30 years.

Agreed. No need to caricature and mock someone who brought us a lot of success though.