Rob Kiernan - Bid Accepted

(see transfer thread)

Deal over 200k. In W&W we trust, would be the quote of the day.

Wonder if we pursue Wilson as well, we sure need 4 decent enough centre halfs.

BTW, Watford want to keep Ikechi Anya and put a 4m price tag on his head. He's out of contract next season.

Wee bit underwhelmed but I'm willing to defer judgement until I see him. Warburton obviously knows the guy, he's at a good age and has played in a competitive league, so a quick glace would imply he'd do well enough.

Warburton has been a fan of this lads for a while:

"I must say for us that Rob Kiernan was again outstanding, as he has been all tournament. His distribution was excellent and he was magnificent"

https://web.archive.org/web/20120216091649/http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~1357166,00.html

Wigan have accepted a bid from Rangers for defender Rob Kiernan, according to Sky sources.

The 24-year-old is set to become new Rangers boss Mark Warburton's first summer signing after a fee of around £200k was agreed between the clubs.

Warburton worked with Kiernan during their shared spell at Watford's academy and he then signed Kiernan on loan for Brentford whilst working as the club's sporting director, impressing in his eight appearances with the Bees during the 2012-13 season.

Kiernan, a former Republic of Ireland international, was nurtured further by current Everton boss Roberto Martinez whilst at Wigan, and he was tipped for a big future by the Spaniard.

But the centre-back, who can also play in central midfielder, struggled to break into Wigan's first team under Uwe Rosler and then Malky Mackay during a troubled last season in which the club's chairman Dave Whelan left and they were relegated to League One.

Kiernan made 12 appearances on loan at Birmingham after joining the Midlands club for the rest of last season in February, and he is understood to be keen to move on to a new challenge.

The section in bold is quite promising: if Martinez thought he had something then I'd be confident that he'd be comfortable on the ball. Warburton does indeed know the kid from Watford and Brentford.

My opinion is changing for the positive after being somewhat underwhelmed initially.