Rob Kiernan - Bid Accepted

on another note - has Lee Wallace commented on his future with us or otherwise? He had stated he didn't fancy another year in the championship. It's not an open invite to state whether you think he is shite or great (although I expect this request to fall on deaf ears). It really is - has anyone heard what his plans are?

I'm hoping Warburton is in the maket for a left back to replace Wallace - one that can actually deliver a decent ball and one that can actually link up properly with the players around him.

I dont expect us to go mad financially in the transfer market. I expecta lot of out of contract and loan deal players to xome in and i dont have a problem with it.

I will put my trust in warburtons judgement and give him the time and space to go about his business.

For the first time in an age i am confident we have the right people in the right places doing what is best for the club on and off the park.

The feel good factor is finally returning to the club so enjoy it.

Agree with that save I'd replace confident with optimistic.

Time will tell.

I am delighted he is our manager because Pereira apart, he was the only candidate with an impressive track record. Getting him was a terrific achievement. Personally I have not been giving him pelters, just questioning the reliance on lower league English level players. Aside from Stuart Dallas, it's not like we have been linked with players performing well in the Championship, looking at players in League 2 seems a particularly low division to look at, though that's not to say you can't find the odd decent player. I've no doubt these players will do fine against most in Scotland, are they going to be the level we need going forward though?

The fact is English football is saturated with over paid and underskilled players, hence why I do not see it as the best league setup to focus on. There is a reason why there is a complete lack of English players and coaches abroad. There are far better and cheaper players abroad, who can generate a lot more in profit. We need to be building long term sustainable plans for the future now. Developing players for the future now, instead of just splashing cash in panic buys whenever we do get European qualification. I am aware we are not going to be getting top European level players any time soon, but that's not to say we cannot develop our own players and find rough diamonds abroad that we can shape. I understand Warburton is currently at the Under 21 Championship - that fills me with a lot more excitement than getting linked with a player in League 2 in England.

We should never be afraid of questioning everything happening at our club, we need to be questioning things all the time.

I don't think League 2 is too low to be utilizing at all. Look at Nahki Wells (I use him as he is a Bermudian kid so I know him fairly well) - played in League 2 for Bradford but did so well there that he ended up signing for Huddersfield in the Championship and in the last window was being followed by Villa. Scores for fun and pace to burn.

League 2 is a great place to pick up young guys for CHEAP, develop them and then sell them on for profit. I'm not saying that every player is like that, of course they aren't. But to simply close our eyes to that league because it is down the leagues is naïve IMHO. Plenty of good players come from there - guys like Jenkinson of Arsenal (not my type of player but will still be better than anything we have) played non-league not so long ago.

Proper scouting and player awareness means these leagues are ripe for the picking.

I completely agree about questioning things at the Club - but surely we should be questioning them, in the instance of players at least, once they have actually PLAYED for us ?

BTW, I wasn't directing my ire at you either SBS, I was aiming it at our support in general.

I fully appreciate I'm a negative bastard but I can assure you this wasn't the case when I was watching Van Bronkhorst, Ferguson and Albertz in midfield :D. I too am looking forward to this particular player - £200k seems a decent deal for someone playing regularly in the Championship last season.

I want to agree with you being a negative bastard, but want to question if you were during the GVB days :D :fish:

I don't think many of us had cause to complain, certainly not about on the pitch stuff, back in the days of GVB, Albertz, Ferguson, Numan etc etc etc.

Personally I think 200k for someone playing regularly in the Championship looks like a steal. Players in the Championship don't usually go that cheap, and certainly not those playing regularly.

Edited by craig

on another note - has Lee Wallace commented on his future with us or otherwise? He had stated he didn't fancy another year in the championship. It's not an open invite to state whether you think he is shite or great (although I expect this request to fall on deaf ears). It really is - has anyone heard what his plans are?

If he does leave there is a tailor made left back available on a free who is currently without club who would do a superb job for 1 season. George McCartney - former Norn Ireland full back released by West Ham. He is 34 but his experience would cruise the championship and IIRC Davie Weir was a short term signing who went onto have 5 years.

I wasn't let down there. Nobody knows then

Guest mrkwallace08
I'm hoping Warburton is in the maket for a left back to replace Wallace - one that can actually deliver a decent ball and one that can actually link up properly with the players around him.

I hope Warburton will bring the best out of Wallace

He is a class player

I hope Warburton will bring the best out of Wallace

He is a class player

With all due respect mate - what is he 'class' at ??

Distribution

Fitness

Link up play

Delivery

Awareness

Touch

Composure

All rate very, very poorly in my eyes.

Someone (SBS I think) said "there's a reason there's a complete lack of English players and coaches abroad" as some kind of fact. It's not, there are scores of English players and coaches 'abroad' in all sorts of leagues. The main reason for this misapprehension is the lack of English players at top English sides.

It's worth remembering the governing factor in almost everything in professional football; money. If an English player can live in England and play in the Championship and earn more than he would at an La Liga side outside of their 'big two' then that's what they do. The reason Lampard and Gerrard are now plying their trade in America (that's abroad btw) is because of the money on offer.

I'm no fan of the EPL or its greed is good mantra, if the money dried up tomorrow you'd suddenly see English players and coaches appearing in leagues where the salaries were higher. The standard of player in England is as high as anywhere in the world and we are culturally and linguistically identical, any manager who didn't look there first for players should be severely questioned.