Mohsni - The SFA have made an example out of me

I was never a big fan of Mohsni (although I was pleased when he performed well: like the times when he reads the forward pass a drives himself forward to intercept; Or the times he got his head on a cross easing the pressure. I took great pleasure in watching that -- we don't have many that can read a pass like that. It was all too few and far between alas!), but I feel sorry for him here. It was not an unprovoked attack, and while I'm not condoning what he did, I feel he's being made a scapegoat. He's not a nutcase, he just has a temper with a low tolerance threshold. I doubt anyone, when pushed hard, would simply walk away. B]I condemn the degree of the response, but I do not condemn that he responded at all.[/b]

If he had responded to the push with a similar push he would have received the same punishment as Erwin. The degree of his punishment was for the degree of the retaliation added to his previous record of indiscipline. There really is no just reason to defend him.

If he had responded to the push with a similar push he would have received the same punishment as Erwin. The degree of his punishment was for the degree of the retaliation added to his previous record of indiscipline. There really is no just reason to defend him.

I'm not defending him, and I'm not critcising the punishments -- ok, maybe the 'punishment' handed to Erwin. I'm merely suggesting the media would have us believe he was the devil in that situation, while there has been nothing much said about the push by Erwin, and nothing much said about the 5-on-1 assault following the incident. To rank the events according to severity, I would suggest Erwin's was 3rd, Mohsni's response 2nd, and the 5-on-1 assault was worst.

We can't put up much of an argument in defending Moshni, but that does not mean we cant highlight the culpability of Erwin. The mitigation of Moshni's actions, nor the SFA and SPFL's suspicious but not surprisingly lenient attitude towards Erwin's guilt, and several other Motherwell players part in assaulting Moshni.

We can't put up much of an argument in defending Moshni, but that does not mean we cant highlight the culpability of Erwin. The mitigation of Moshni's actions, nor the SFA and SPFL's suspicious but not surprisingly lenient attitude towards Erwin's guilt, and several other Motherwell players part in assaulting Moshni.

Erwin's push was worthy of nothing more than the yellow card that he received. Handbags like that are routinely seen in matches.

Mohsni, Ainsworth, Moore and Kerr all received automatic two match bans for violent conduct.

Mohsni received a further automatic two matches for his previous exploits.

The extra three matches Mohsni received was for the excessive nature of the violence.

On the street I can't really seem much wrong with Mohsni's actions which, if they were on the street, pretty much seemed reasonably proportionate - especially in Glasgow where you could expect a lot worse, I really don't see the logic in the only acceptable response being exactly the same as the original attack. In fact it makes it sound pretty childish and resulting in a pushy, pushy contest. It doesn't seem a great deterrent to stop a bully. Punching them in the chops seems far more effective and shows others you're not to be messed with. If someone kicks you is the only appropriate response to kick them back? I really don' t get it. What if they hit you with something?

The only thing you can hold against him is that he's a professional footballer and so should be able to overcome the normal response while in his place of work. However, you should not be subjected to unprovoked violence in your place of work, and employers and professional bodies have a duty of care to their employees to protect them. This includes severe punishment for violently attacking someone.

Retaliating when you're attacked is perfectly normal and natural, attacking someone for little reason is not. It is therefore inappropriate to play down the attack because it was not the most likely to cause bodily harm. The point is that it is incredibly likely to cause a fight and escalation, and is therefore a pretty severe crime to do so. What the bully is playing on is that he can provoke something and then laugh his own offence off as "just a wee push".

It's a bit like the IRA creating a small explosion but luckily for us, not harming anyone, and then the authorities laugh it off and treat it like it was nothing and let them off with it. Or is the appropriate response to blow something up in Ireland to make it even?

Reading some of the opinion, I find it easy to understand why bullying is so difficult to eradicate - people pick on the victims instead.

The SFA have done everyone who might have to play against Mohsni a massive favour.

In the 50's or 60's he'd have been suspended sine die for sure.

Can you even slightly justify this? I get the flying headbutt thing but you are completely contradicting that viewpoint here. Your moral compass seems to whizz around to whatever agenda you have against this player.

As you have shown, your own actions on the pitch actively encourage retaliation as you wouldn't punish a clear case of assault. Players should be protected from this but you would be derelict of that duty to them. You seem to get some of the letter of the law but totally missing the spirit and I fail to see any sense of fairness.

Erwin's push was worthy of nothing more than the yellow card that he received. Handbags like that are routinely seen in matches.

Mohsni, Ainsworth, Moore and Kerr all received automatic two match bans for violent conduct.

The extra three matches Mohsni received was for the excessive nature of the violence.

So if you had a kid whom you saw was pushed by a bully and he kicked him and punched him once back, you'd find that excessive and punish him severely, but you'd reasonably OK with a gang of five kids, who are friends of the original attacker, simultaneously kicking and punching your child, and wouldn't find that at all excessive?

Edited by calscot

What about Erwin's subsequent retaliatory attacks on Moshni?

Why haven't the SFA further charged Moore Kerr and Ainsworth with the excessive nature of their attacks on Moshni?

What about Erwin's subsequent retaliatory attacks on Moshni?

Why haven't the SFA further charged Moore Kerr and Ainsworth with the excessive nature of their attacks on Moshni?

Probably because he never got anywhere near him, not that I have seen anyway.

Because they were covered by the rules on red cards for violent conduct?

Probably because he never got anywhere near him, not that I have seen anyway.

Because they were covered by the rules on red cards for violent conduct?

Erwin made several determined attempts to retaliate to Moshni's own retaliatory action to Erwin's initial assault. By good fortune rather than design, his attack was stopped in the melee. But the intent was there, but no further action taken, not even a well deserved retrospective red card,

Moshni was issued with a red card by the referee, how are the Motherwell players red cards issued in the same indecent, deemed somehow lesser with no further punishment as Moshni's was?