Ricky Foster hits out at how he found out about axe

Ricky Foster reckons he probably wouldn’t go back to Rangers now – even if he was asked.

The defender was one of 10 out-of-contract players allowed to leave the Light Blues at the end of the season without the offer of a new deal.

And, while new Rangers assistant manager Davie Weir has stated he wouldn’t rule out bringing one or two of their number back into the fold, Foster himself is not so sure.

“It would be difficult because of the way things ended,” he said.

“I learned I was being let go through the pages of my morning newspaper and, for me, that was wrong.

“To read you are being axed when you haven’t even had as much as a phone call is not a pleasant experience.

“It left a sour taste in my mouth and was a sad way to end things after all the positive experiences I had at Ibrox.

“Listen, I appreciate the season did not work out the way we all had hoped it would.

“Our target was for us to achieve promotion to the Premiership, if not automatically by winning the title then via the Play-Offs.

“In the end that didn’t happen. We made it to the Play-Off Final but Motherwell were too good for us over the two games.

“We didn’t fall short for lack of effort or desire. The players were all desperate to succeed, as was everyone at the club.”

In Foster’s case, a near-Herculean effort was involved.

Out injured from the start of February to the beginning of May, he played seven games in 29 days as the Light Blues attempted to scramble their way up through the Play-Offs.

“It was hard going after being sidelined for so long and to an extent I was putting my body on the line going through that kind of programme.

“I was happy to do it, though, because I wanted to play my part in achieving something special.

“There is a new management team in and stating they would not rule anything in or out until they have completed their assessment of the squad that shows an

open-mindedness which should serve them well.

“My problem was not with them but the people at the top of the club.

“I have to consider my own future now.”

http://www.sundaypost.com/sport/football/ricky-foster-hits-out-at-how-he-found-out-about-axe-1.885793

If it was handled like that, a poor show from the new board. Same goes for King's kick at the 11 people shown the door, people he admitted not having seen in play. We should show far more dignity, no matter what individual fans think about the players' abilities.

If it was handled like that, a poor show from the new board. Same goes for King's kick at the 11 people shown the door, people he admitted not having seen in play. We should show far more dignity, no matter what individual fans think about the players' abilities.

They should be lucky the police aren't after them for the wages they stole.

Every single one of the players who were out of contract at huge end of last season MUST have known there was absolutely NO CHANCE of them being retained, such was the poor form of every one of them individually, and collectively.

I fully expected a few of these slaughter pieces from some of them, and Foster and Daly would have been at the top of my list, so I haven't been surprised to read of them in the papers.

He is of course totally correct. That is bad management that he learned through the media. Possibly in defence of the club, things can speed past you in this digital age. It would have been shit to tell them directly after the game so the proper thing to do would have been meetings on Monday morning. I believe that hit the papers the next day. If the club was the source then they were wrong not to inform the players first. Sometimes life is a bitch.

If his contract is coming end and there have been no discussions about a new one then what is it he is expecting to be told.

Contracts end on June 30th, new management is coming in as well, at the time it was not certain who that management would be.

For some of us it was a foregone conclusion, for some of the players it was not. I know that some amongst us can't help themselves but to hurl what is essentially abuse at some of the players. Modern day standards have slipped considerably in that respect. By the sound of it, the club did not exactly told them anything even after they read that paper stuff, or thanked them for their efforts (no matter how little some value them on here).