Ricky Foster hits out at how he found out about axe

Contracts end on June 30th, new management is coming in as well, at the time it was not certain who that management would be.

For some of us it was a foregone conclusion, for some of the players it was not. I know that some amongst us can't help themselves but to hurl what is essentially abuse at some of the players. Modern day standards have slipped considerably in that respect. By the sound of it, the club did not exactly told them anything even after they read that paper stuff, or thanked them for their efforts (no matter how little some value them on here).

If it was up to some nobody at the club would get any abuse at all and we would be watching Sport Direct FC just now.

In terms of professionalism, surely it's only right that anyone not having their contract renewed should be told so. However, he must have known it was unlikely. It's hardly professional bitching about it afterwards though -- he's just trying to get his name in the papers.

In terms of professionalism, surely it's only right that anyone not having their contract renewed should be told so. However, he must have known it was unlikely. It's hardly professional bitching about it afterwards though -- he's just trying to get his name in the papers.

It will be interesting to see where all of these 11 players end up playing next season if at all.

And if any of them do get new clubs I wonder what sort of salary they'll get. A fraction of what they were on at Rangers I'd imagine

was.gifflagge.gif ... that is IMHO as strange as it gets.

Surely he knows the expiry date of his fixed term contract. Don't see why he needs a director to call to tell him it's coming to an end?

I think you are viewing this in terms of a fixed term contract in the commercial world.

I would suggest that in football terms whilst he knew the date upon which his contract ended, nonetheless it is customary to tell a player whether or not it is likely to be extended or a new offer made. This is a particularly true in our case because there were three different management teams and a new one on the way, so four really and two different ownership groups; all of which would have prevented any offers being made during the season. So the circumstances, where no offer = no new contract, did not necessarily apply.

I don't think Foster is the best defender in the world but he is more than useful going forward. He is credited with 6 assists in 29 games last season, two of which were in his first two games back after injury. IMHO he is by no means the worst of those "let go". Sinammon was not rated high enough to get even one start, when it was obvious that McGregor was need at CB; so it would appear that we do not have a first team RB on the books. If we are thinking about spending money on players then surely MF and strikers are the priority. I would have offered Foster a new one year contract at £2,000/£3,000 a week, which he would not be able to better in Scotland.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I think you are viewing this in terms of a fixed term contract in the commercial world.

I would suggest that in football terms whilst he knew the date upon which his contract ended, nonetheless it is customary to tell a player whether or not it is likely to be extended or a new offer made. This is a particularly true in our case because there were three different management teams and a new one on the way, so four really and two different ownership groups; all of which would have prevented any offers being made during the season. So the circumstances, where no offer = no new contract, did not necessarily apply.

I don't think Foster is the best defender in the world but he is more than useful going forward. He is credited with 6 assists in 29 games last season, two of which were in his first two games back after injury. IMHO he is by no means the worst of those "let go". Sinammon was not rated high enough to get even one start, when it was obvious that McGregor was need at CB; so it would appear that we do not have a first team RB on the books. If we are thinking about spending money on players then surely MF and strikers are the priority. I would have offered Foster a new one year contract at £2,000/£3,000 a week, which he would not be able to better in Scotland.

I think the fan outcry for foster would have ruled out any potential contract - good to see the club showing some awareness imo.

Edited by WATP_Greg

I think the fan outcry for foster would have ruled out any potential contract - good to see the club showing some awareness imo.

Perhaps so but that's not really the point here, common courtesy, if not football norms should have meant that he was told before he read it in the papers.