Willie Henderson urges McCoist to 'give something back'

Guest mrkwallace08

I have not lost the respect I have for Ally as a player because of his failing as a manager

I doubt he will ever have financial problems, so why continue to take a wage it just doesn't make.any sense

There must be something else going on

I understood Ally taking his salary while Ashley's cohorts were in charge but I thought this would have been sorted as soon as the new board came in. The fact that is hasn't is a damning indictment on both the board and McCoist himself.

Wee Willie is only saying what a large percentage of Rangers fans are thinking, myself included.

In fives years time Ally will still be a failed Rangers manager.

As I say, do people remember John Greig for that? Nope. The only thing that is different here is that Ally remained loyal to the club (though certain people will argue that from a different angle) and got one of the worst environments a manager (no matter how good he is) can find himself in. Things got dramatically worse last season, and while people can claim he is not a good manager, it is all rather hypothetical and subjective a debate. If anything, what will remain in memory is that he wasn't that good in a terrible time for the club. His legend status was achieved elsewhere though.

BTW, I can't say much about him still taking up his salary, as one simply hasn't got his angle of the story thus far. In the interest of the club, you (and I) would have expected him to cut his ties with the club once King & Co. took over.

Wasn't very impressed with him as a manager although he did seem to hold some of the values of the club together at times and too many forget the unimaginable circumstances under which he worked. His record against that of McCall shows he wasn't as bad as some like to think, but in the end he did his best, but it wasn't good enough. IMHO, to be useful to us he had to overcome the difficulties just enough to at least shade the Championship title.

He's still a legend as I player, but I find the continual taking of a wage after the old board have gone, very hard to stomach, or find any justification. Three months severance should have been way more than enough for someone who's been made very wealthy from the fans' hard earned wage packets, in good times and bad.

As we have seen, King likes to challenge a contract, but he reckons McCoist's one entitles him to be paid in full. Perhaps he is simply rewarding him for being his eyes and ears within the club. Doubt we'll ever know the reasoning.

As I say, do people remember John Greig for that? Nope. The only thing that is different here is that Ally remained loyal to the club (though certain people will argue that from a different angle) and got one of the worst environments a manager (no matter how good he is) can find himself in. Things got dramatically worse last season, and while people can claim he is not a good manager, it is all rather hypothetical and subjective a debate. If anything, what will remain in memory is that he wasn't that good in a terrible time for the club. His legend status was achieved elsewhere though.

BTW, I can't say much about him still taking up his salary, as one simply hasn't got his angle of the story thus far. In the interest of the club, you (and I) would have expected him to cut his ties with the club once King & Co. took over.

Of course they remember Greig as a failed manager - why else would it even be discussed in this thread if people had forgotten about it ?

I was one of those who fully believed that McCoist would do the "right thing" - I am also one of those who believe that if the Board gave him a salary that was far in excess of what an SPL manager should have got then that is on them, not McCoist. He is absolutely entitled to those wages.

However, he could have saved some of his tarnished reputation had he gone to King and said "OK, the crooks are out, lets reduce my gardening leave and negotiate on an exit payment far less than the salary is". But he hasn't.

You call it "loyal to the club" but on what grounds ? He wasn't getting a job anywhere else, Green was offering him a salary that nobody else would give him anyway..... as each day passes and he stays on his gardening leave without looking to come to an arrangement to save the Club some cash at the same time as save his reputation then the only loyalty that is visible is his loyalty to money. Which, by the way, is his prerogative.

It leaves a bad taste in the mouth that he knows the Club is still struggling day to day to recover from the financial mismanagement AND his ineptitude as a manager but refuses to give up ANY of his gardening leave salary.

This situation is a difficult one because I DO believe he is justly entitled to do what he is doing. But if he really wanted to maintain his "legend" status in the eyes of many Bears, then he would look to give the Club something back, by way of cutting short his gardening leave period.

The job was toxic

Ally knew what Green was at so it took megabucks to get him on board

At the same time he was a rallying point the supporters could focus on and he helped keep us together.

He was a shite manager and shouldn't be insisting his onerous contract is paid up to the full

Of course they remember Greig as a failed manager - why else would it even be discussed in this thread if people had forgotten about it ?

Well, I only read it in the record books. That said, he was managing and playing before "my time" (1983). Having read about him though, I remembered his ill-fated reign, much like Wallace's second spell at the club. Hence the comparison of two legends.