John Eustace Arrives In Glasgow

Here, SBS, do you not think that Chelsea have an unfair advantage with their trophy haul as they were regularly champions of Division Two and took the Full Members Cup seriously? :P

Ouch! That is the biggest put-down of all time apart from Sonny Liston's.

10 years ago that gap was huge about 40 v 15. The roman millions have played the part. But Arsenal have been rebuilding for the long term in that and in 10-15 years Id still bet that Arsenal will be clear of Chelsea.

Its a good debate though. Id class Leeds as a sleeping giant and Sheff Wed. There is always the debate about how you define a big club / team: History / Stadia and Facilities / Fan Base / trophy count & on what level / turnover.

I always thought of Rangers and Man Utd as the big 2 in the mid 90s. (Pretty sure we beat a full strength Man U side in Aug 1996.) Liverpool and Arsenal for sure in the top 3 in England.

Rangers and Celtic still have big ticks in most categories but the TV money has moved the English clubs poles apart. Even Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were decent clubs in the 80s on a Euro level but neither were giants.

Leeds are just a bad ran club but have huge potential due to fan base in the local area. Yhey have been in and out of the top flight in pretty much every decade but id class them as a big club.

I don't see much evidence of that. Chelsea's youth teams and u21's were much better than Arsenal were last year. Neither club bring through that much youth though so unless Chelsea go into financial meltdown, I only see them improving.

Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are two poor Championship teams and I don't think it really counts for anything that they wanted to sign him. My feelings on the player are made clear above.

Yet you continue to wax lyrical about how much better EVERY English team in the pro leagues is even compared to the SPFL.

So which is it ? Are Leeds & Sheffield Wednesday shite ? Or is it that they are still miles better than SPFL teams, in which case we may have won a watch with Eustace.

I think your previous post summarized it very well. A one year deal, a born winner who accepts nothing less than 100%, someone who will ensure everyone is giving their all, someone who can lead and organize. On a one year deal this is hardly earth-shattering.

In fact, seeing him only get a 1-yr deal has me somewhat enthused about the management of our Club. A 1 yr deal for a 35 yr old who is recovering from injury makes perfect sense, not a huge financial risk and if he doesn't recover from injury well then he gets released. The previous Board would have given him a 2 or 3 yr deal.

For one year on fairly limited wages this one comes under the "very little risk" category for me. Could work out terrifically, but if he is a bust then no big deal.