Scottish Teams in Europe 2015-16

And we moan about the poor standard of Scottish football which will only get worse as they get worse....if we are starved of competition we also get sucked further into the morass. Their embarrassing efforts only help us if we can get out of this league into one where their is stronger competition.. and there is nowhere but Scotland for us to go.

Sorry if we are a one horse race we will never do anything in Europe.

Right now we aren't part of that one horse race. Further, if they gain entry to CL riches then it will give them even more of a financial surplus over us to be able to maintain the "one horse race" status. Call me small-minded but I see them gaining entry into the CL group as serving the purpose of only one team, Celtic.

The co-efficient points that they pick up for Scotland on the way will be a very insignificant amount when considering we wouldn't have been in Europe for 5 yrs by the time we get back there - our own club co-efficient will see to it that it will be very difficult for us to make the CL group stages. The country co-efficient wont have that big an impact on us getting easier games.

I completely understand where you are coming from - but my only concern is Rangers. And when I look at the pros and cons of Celtic gaining CL group stage qualification I see there being far more CONS (from a Rangers perspective) and far more PROS (from a Celtic perspective). And for those reasons I hope they get papped oot. And by a cricket score too, just to ensure there are no nerves surrounding the outcome.

Further, they as a Club did everything that they possibly could to KILL us. It will be a cold day in hell before I will forget that, and it will be an even colder day in hell when I wish them well in ANY competition.

It's not always the country's/teams with the better coefficient who go through when 11 meets 11, mostly it is the best team who comes out on top.

When Rangers reached the 2008 UEFA Final the country's coefficient must have been quite high, but instead of it helping and improving all the clubs efforts in European competitions it has plummeted to new depths.

Rangers fans don't need or want a successful selik, just a successful Rangers.

Edited by Bearman

Right now we aren't part of that one horse race. Further, if they gain entry to CL riches then it will give them even more of a financial surplus over us to be able to maintain the "one horse race" status. Call me small-minded but I see them gaining entry into the CL group as serving the purpose of only one team, Celtic.

The co-efficient points that they pick up for Scotland on the way will be a very insignificant amount when considering we wouldn't have been in Europe for 5 yrs by the time we get back there - our own club co-efficient will see to it that it will be very difficult for us to make the CL group stages. The country co-efficient wont have that big an impact on us getting easier games.

I completely understand where you are coming from - but my only concern is Rangers. And when I look at the pros and cons of Celtic gaining CL group stage qualification I see there being far more CONS (from a Rangers perspective) and far more PROS (from a Celtic perspective). And for those reasons I hope they get papped oot. And by a cricket score too, just to ensure there are no nerves surrounding the outcome.

Further, they as a Club did everything that they possibly could to KILL us. It will be a cold day in hell before I will forget that, and it will be an even colder day in hell when I wish them well in ANY competition.

I reckon the MW appointment will have ruffled a few feathers over in the East End. He will have access to players(as loans probably) that the likes of McCall or McInnes wouldn't have had. For that reason alone it may not be the one horse race next season you suggest.

You also have to remember they have this ceiling of £3m that they're prepared to spend on a player & you dont get a lot for that money these days do you? And they've had some spectacular flops over these past few seasons have they not?

As "bad" as it might be for Scottish football, them dropping out of the CL group stages will give the public a far better picture of their own financial affairs.

On a sidenote, a few more factors than the Yahoos' games come into the equation of Scotland's coefficient. The country's exploits as such, plus how all the rest of the Scottish teams show up in Europe. Or, rather don't show up. In that respect, the Scottish teams have matched the exploits of those of Wales and Northern Ireland already. Out of their own inabilities, but partly also because of that ridiculous UEFA scheduling of qualification rounds half-way between the summer break and pre-season. Malmö, on the other hand, has what, 20 games of the summer league football under their belt?

I used to want Celtic to do well in Europe for the coefficient and the reputation of Scottish football - as long as they didn't get further than us.

Now I want them to get stuffed in every game.

For this season, I obviously want them to get pumped out even from my previous viewpoint.

The way European football is at the moment, I see much less relevance to us for the coefficient, as long as we win the Premiership. In that scenario, we have a relatively easy route to the CL group stages where I don't expect us to progress, no matter what our coefficient is. My ambition there is to finish third and drop into the Europa league. Once there, it's all about how good we are with also rans of the big leagues and teams from the lesser countries who should be our peers.

It becomes all about how good we actually are relative to European teams, rather than the coefficient.

The only difference with finishing second is that we won't have a route to the CL, but then getting the coefficient high enough for that looks impossible as we end up with more teams who go out early and water down the points we accumulate. Not only that, the second place route to the CL is incredibly tough with the likes of 3rd and 4th from the big leagues.

Of course if our coefficient was high enough we'd get an automatic CL place for first and a short route to qualification for second place, but I can't see that happening in the foreseeable future if ever - unless there is a massive change.

BTW, I am still of the opinion that teams should be ranked not according to some co-efficient, but their previous exploits. For in the big leagues, you can end up with getting nigh straight entry into Europe (CL included), despite having hardly ever played there since the 60s or 70s, if at all. Remember Hertha Berlin almost managed that a few years back. Because of Germany's standing in the wordl rankings, plus the continuous points gathering by the nigh dozen or so German participants in Europe each season. Whereas the "lesser" countries have 3 or 4 teams who start off with 3 qualifying rounds, perhaps even against some 7th placed German team who might dump them without breaking sweat. Or, indeed, teams that have played summer football while you are just about to start pre-season.

Edited by der Berliner

For what it's worth I think they lack the mental toughness to defend a slender lead abroad, no matter who they play.

I would agree with that. But they have had a fair bit of luck in recent past in UEFA competition.

I would agree with that. But they have had a fair bit of luck in recent past in UEFA competition.

They will have their lawyers sifting through all paperwork to see if they can win on default even if they do lose.