Depay to play as striker for MU...:notworthy:

With Van Gaal you probably think he will go 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 with Depay upfront. But Man Utd just need to be a 4-4-2 team, anything else just doesn't look right. They now have the players for a proper midfield and is their best options since Keane and Scholes. If they get a centre half I might have a punt on them winning the league.

Make or break for van Gaal now...fantastic season ahead (yet again!)

I can't see past Chelsea just now but who knows that's the pull of the EPL.

I have a feeling for Man City too, but that's just me, love watching Aguero, Yaya & Silva along with their outlandish approach.

Wonder if Arsenal can make a real challenge, would welcome it, then there is Man U who knows?

Sterling is an excellent prospect, but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Of course, I don't know if it's him or his advisors. At 20, I think the best thing for his career is to stay at Liverpool, get games and develop for another couple of years. Liverpool have got an excellent deal.

I've never had a problem with the high transfer fees, because I always think that if someone is willing to pay it then that's the price -- it's not an indicator of value. But £49m for Sterling I think is ridiculous; not because of the fee but because I don't think he's worth it. Rooney was worth £27m at 18 (IIRC?), but was a better 'all-round' player; Bale was too much because Ronaldo is better and wasn't as high a fee; Zidane was bought for £48m, but was one of the best players in the world. I would like to see a weighted comparison between these transfer fees. The steady increase has skewed their value.

Sterling had a half season of brilliance but I might look not too bad playing with Suarez and Sterling has baggage.

City need defenders. What would John Terry be worth? Ageing but still a master defender and likely to score a goal or two.

With Van Gaal you probably think he will go 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 with Depay upfront. But Man Utd just need to be a 4-4-2 team, anything else just doesn't look right. They now have the players for a proper midfield and is their best options since Keane and Scholes. If they get a centre half I might have a punt on them winning the league.

I think it's interesting how British sides are so reluctant and unsuccessful at playing a different formation. The rigid 4-4-2 is always used because it's pragmatic, but LVG was pragamtic at the WC using a 3-5-2 with the Netherlands because they missed their best midfielder. And not to forget the most pragmatic manager ever, Fabio Capello, who used an 'adventurous' 3-4-1-2 with Roma to utilise Totti and Cafu but retain the 2 DMs won Serie A for the first time in ages. I am wondering if the 4-4-2 is used simply because most British players can't handle a change?

I agree that a Man Utd without wingers looks weird, but I think one can still retain the wingers but with another formation.

Incidentally, I think LVG playing the 4-3-3 brought better results last year, rather than a 4-4-2.

Sterling is an excellent prospect, but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Of course, I don't know if it's him or his advisors. At 20, I think the best thing for his career is to stay at Liverpool, get games and develop for another couple of years. Liverpool have got an excellent deal.

I've never had a problem with the high transfer fees, because I always think that if someone is willing to pay it then that's the price -- it's not an indicator of value. But £49m for Sterling I think is ridiculous; not because of the fee but because I don't think he's worth it. Rooney was worth £27m at 18 (IIRC?), but was a better 'all-round' player; Bale was too much because Ronaldo is better and wasn't as high a fee; Zidane was bought for £48m, but was one of the best players in the world. I would like to see a weighted comparison between these transfer fees. The steady increase has skewed their value.

Agreed Sterling at 49M is laughable. As you say its down to those paying the money out and not a value. If Sterling is 49M what would Hazard, Coutinho, Silva etc be. Sanchez was what 17m less than Sterling and id rather have a half fit Sanchez in my team.

Sterling cant even cross a ball. id say Oxlade-Chamberlain is a better player and he isn't even a first team pick for Arsenal.

I think it's interesting how British sides are so reluctant and unsuccessful at playing a different formation. The rigid 4-4-2 is always used because it's pragmatic, but LVG was pragamtic at the WC using a 3-5-2 with the Netherlands because they missed their best midfielder. And not to forget the most pragmatic manager ever, Fabio Capello, who used an 'adventurous' 3-4-1-2 with Roma to utilise Totti and Cafu but retain the 2 DMs won Serie A for the first time in ages. I am wondering if the 4-4-2 is used simply because most British players can't handle a change?

I agree that a Man Utd without wingers looks weird, but I think one can still retain the wingers but with another formation.

Incidentally, I think LVG playing the 4-3-3 brought better results last year, rather than a 4-4-2.

Ive been a fan of 3-5-2 over the years but it always depends on the players you have. For me Man Utd are much better with 4-4-2 which of course can be 4-3-1-2 or 4-1-4-1 etc...(these additional numbers in formations is silly as there is only 3 areas of a pitch)

They will be very dangerous with Di Maria and Depay down the wings (with Janazai and Young as back up) plus Herrera, Carrick, Blind and Fellaini wont be starters. It will be good to see a strong Man Utd again for some reason.

You missed out Wayne Bridge (maybe you didn't rate him?), although he didn't come all the way up through the Southampton academy, I think he was signed at about the age of 16.

There's also the young lad Ward-Prowse who's another real Southampton academy product having came all the up the youth levels at Southampton along with Luke Shaw. Ward-Prowse could maybe be one of Southampton's next big money sales.

I'm not as old as you (mentally at least...) so clearly he was before my time :P

Edited by craig

Liverpool have triggered the 32.5m release clause for Benteke. Talk about another overpriced tag. 81.5m switching hands for Sterling and Benteke just shows how inflated football has got.

Liverpool need to offload a few more now. Balotelli, Lambert and Borini need to be shifted on.