Gers To Train At Spurs

Rangers need the right long-term strategy plus some smart short-term tactics.

Nothing wrong bringing in a quality loan signing, if we'd have to pay over the odds to buy equivalent quality (assuming of course that the equivalent standard of player could even be persuaded to come to the Scottish Championship - which is unlikely).

Can you explain to me why it is required for the second division of Scottish football when we have several times the resources of everyone else?

There s not a team in Britain that doesnt use loan players and with the EPL clubs having a 25 man squad cap it would be daft not to try and use this system.

Can I also point out we are basically starting again and doing now what should have happened those 3 wasted years ago.

Edited by rbr

Can you explain to me why it is required for the second division of Scottish football when we have several times the resources of everyone else?

We had several times the resources of everyone else last year too.

The new management team need to get more out of the experienced players we've retained, give the best of our youth setup genuine opportunities and bring in a small number of quality additions to raise the overall standard. If we can do that through permanent signings, then great. If not, as long as it's done in moderation, then a couple of eye catching loan deals won't harm our youth development and might just help put a few more bums on seats.

Even the Hearts team that won the Championship at a canter last year had a lot of 1 goal winning margins in the 2nd half of the season. Warburton will want to have the deck stacked as far in our favour as possible given the resources available and I think the above blend of approaches is a good compromise between minimising risk and still building for the long term.

There s not a team in Britain that doesnt use loan players and with the EPL clubs having a 25 man squad cap it would be daft not to try and use this system.

Can I also point out we are basically starting again and doing now what should have happened those 3 wasted years ago.

We're in a unique position. The top Premiership clubs rarely sign loan players though. Certainly not ones they have no option on purchasing.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

We had several times the resources of everyone else last year too.

The new management team need to get more out of the experienced players we've retained, give the best of our youth setup genuine opportunities and bring in a small number of quality additions to raise the overall standard. If we can do that through permanent signings, then great. If not, as long as it's done in moderation, then a couple of eye catching loan deals won't harm our youth development and might just help put a few more bums on seats.

Even the Hearts team that won the Championship at a canter last year had a lot of 1 goal winning margins in the 2nd half of the season. Warburton will want to have the deck stacked as far in our favour as possible given the resources available and I think the above blend of approaches is a good compromise between minimising risk and still building for the long term.

Last year we had an absolutely incompetent management team. So it's an entirely different situation. They have been able to bring in some of their own players, spending a lot of cash compared to the other teams in the division. Those couple of eye catching loan players will need replaced in one year, providing us with no long term benefit. There's nothing to guarantee they will be any better than our own player.

Those couple of eye catching loan players will need replaced in one year, providing us with no long term benefit. There's nothing to guarantee they will be any better than our own player.

Building the squad is going to be an ongoing process anyway, especially when you consider that as things currently stand we've got at least 10 players who'll be out of contract next June. It remains to be seen how many of those players Mark Warburton decides are worth keeping.

we must be in the top ten teams in europe for the amount of youth we have promoted into the first team squad in the last couple of years.

the likes of ajax aim for 2/3 every 2 years to be promoted from youth into first team squad. I know circumstance has dictated but still an impressive amount of youth has progressed.

Edited by trublusince1982

Building the squad is going to be an ongoing process anyway, especially when you consider that as things currently stand we've got at least 10 players who'll be out of contract next June. It remains to be seen how many of those players Mark Warburton decides are worth keeping.

I doubt if anyone out of contract at the end of next season will be kept. If anything I think they'll be encouraged to find new clubs now

We're in a unique position. The top Premiership clubs rarely sign loan players though. Certainly not ones they have no option on purchasing.

Radamel Falcao is just one example , the EPL was littered with loanees last year , 2 years ago Watford had a near entire squad of loanees , prompting a change in the rules

Not if we loan players we aren't.