Latest BTC appeal news

Haven't they already settled with Arsenal?

Why were Arsenal allowed a settlement and we weren't? That's what this is all about too.

Yes they have already settled with Arsenal.

As for the second statement, you and I will continue to agree to disagree on this being a vendetta against Rangers by Tims or Rangers-hating HMRC employees.

Edited by craig

Yes they have already settled with Arsenal.

As for the second statement, you and I will continue to agree to disagree on this being a vendetta against Rangers by Tims or Rangers-hating HMRC employees.

I'm not renowned for agreeing with Rab on much, but I know exactly how the HMRC security audit trails work, and I know that HMRC could find out tomorrow who accessed and leaked confidential information regarding Rangers. Only a very small amount of people are allowed access to secure cases such as Rangers' files and each one has a secure login that is audited and retained for 6 years. I know that the guy the Vanguard Bears announced as being the 'mole', Bill Mcilwraith, was a glorified admin and wouldn't have been within a million miles of those records. Why do we still not have this mole accessing the most secret of records yet HMRC continue to sack staff for accessing their families records (not to fiddle but to check how claims are proceeding etc)? They are sacked based on audit trails of their logins yet they can't trace who accessed 'secure' files with significantly more security attached and far smaller numbers allowed access.

I know that HMRC have been subject of several complaints (one serious) regarding catholic nepotism and promotions accordingly. I know that members resigned from their union after several awards from the union to celtic fc to commemorate certain anniversaries.

Go ask a certain ex-HMRC inspector, now with our youth set up, Billy McLaren, if he witnessed any of this when he worked there.

Do I think people at the very highest level in HMRC (and I'm talking Scottish based, influential at Whitehall) would harbour such a hatred for Rangers they would go to such extremes? Without a shadow of a doubt!!

The scale of offence is completely irrelevant in this case. It is all about tax law interpretation and principle. Doesn't matter whether or not it was 1 pound or 1 billion pounds. And even if Carloway rules against RFC the sad reality (for HMRC) is that they will be chasing a debt from a company which will ultimately be liquidated - if they win they will be small pennies on the pound.

Likewise, why the SFA would be concerned is beyond me. Caroloway can rule on the law and can levy fines on a legal entity. But that doesn't necessarily mean the Club. Not sure how the courts would expel us from football...... Seems like scare-mongering to me.

You do realise this article is from 2012

I'm not renowned for agreeing with Rab on much, but I know exactly how the HMRC security audit trails work, and I know that HMRC could find out tomorrow who accessed and leaked confidential information regarding Rangers. Only a very small amount of people are allowed access to secure cases such as Rangers' files and each one has a secure login that is audited and retained for 6 years. I know that the guy the Vanguard Bears announced as being the 'mole', Bill Mcilwraith, was a glorified admin and wouldn't have been within a million miles of those records. Why do we still not have this mole accessing the most secret of records yet HMRC continue to sack staff for accessing their families records (not to fiddle but to check how claims are proceeding etc)? They are sacked based on audit trails of their logins yet they can't trace who accessed 'secure' files with significantly more security attached and far smaller numbers allowed access.

I know that HMRC have been subject of several complaints (one serious) regarding catholic nepotism and promotions accordingly. I know that members resigned from their union after several awards from the union to celtic fc to commemorate certain anniversaries.

Go ask a certain ex-HMRC inspector, now with our youth set up, Billy McLaren, if he witnessed any of this when he worked there.

Do I think people at the very highest level in HMRC (and I'm talking Scottish based, influential at Whitehall) would harbour such a hatred for Rangers they would go to such extremes? Without a shadow of a doubt!!

I know you are giving an opinion here, but do you have any proof?

. I know that the guy the Vanguard Bears announced as being the 'mole', Bill Mcilwraith, was a glorified admin and wouldn't have been within a million miles of those records.

You would think this guy , if wrongly accused , would seek to defend his reputation in some way .

what surprised me was the headline reporting of what HMRC were saying. In the previous appeal there was little coming through the news.

I think HMRC have changed tactics and looking for publicity for their "common sense" approach rather than arguing points of the law as they did in the past.