Can Rangers fans embrace being a selling club?

I think it is essential that we become a selling club - as long as it's done right.

For too long we have done things the wrong way - we have brought in players with inflated transfer fees & OTT wages. We then try to keep them as long as possible, then they move on for less than we paid - either as free agents or poor negotiations.

We need to bring players in, develop them, play them....then they will start to attract increased bids. All to often we have brought in players, done nothing with them training-wise then not played them. If a player isn't playing, he ain't gonna attract a decent transfer.

A player who is up against the likes of Hibs, Alloa or Peterhead won't attract anyone. Even if they are competing in the top league, the potential suitors will be limited.

I remember Dick Advocaat saying we were a selling club. His idea was essentially what Celtic are doing now. Buy good players and sell on when they were mid to late 20's. The only player I remember this working with was Van Bronckhurst

Spot on! There have been a grand total of ten transfers of over £1m since Advocaat stepped down in 2001 totalling about £40m.

Flo, Amoruso, McCann, Ferguson, Boumsong, Hutton, Ferguson, Thomson, Wilson, Jelavic.

A transfer surplus of £10m per annum from a declining nation is rather optimistic.

Arteta ???

Apologies, inadvertently put Ferguson in twice. Edited.

Feel free to point out any other omissions. :)

LOL. I only noticed Arteta as I read he had signed a new 1-yr deal with Arsenal.

My memory isn't the greatest on this stuff :D

Spot on! There have been a grand total of ten transfers of over £1m since Advocaat stepped down in 2001 totalling about £40m.

Flo, Amoruso, McCann, Ferguson, Boumsong, Hutton, Arteta, Thomson, Wilson, Jelavic.

A transfer surplus of £10m per annum from a declining nation is rather optimistic.

We sold Kenny Miller to Wolves for £3m the same day Eck took over from Advocaat and we sold Reyna to Sunderland for £4m the week before, but I guess that doesn't count.

Other ones which you could maybe count are Ricksen who we sold to Zenit for £1m and Sebo who went to a French club for £1m.

Then there's Cuéllar for nearly £8m, Cousin for £3.5m, Adam for £1.35m (£500k + sell on fee), Mendes to Sporting for £1.5m, Thomson to Middlesbrough for £2m and Bougherra to Lekhwiya for £1.7m.

I suppose that's about it.