Nicky Law: Another year in lower tier is a blessing in disguise for Rangers

Monday 13 July 2015

THE money men charged with sorting out Rangers’ finances won’t buy into the idea ... but Nicky Law reckons another season in the Championship might be just what is needed at Ibrox.

The midfielder believes last season’s flop, while painful at the time, proved the Light Blues were not yet ready for a return to the top flight.

And now, with Mark Warburton changing the club’s football philosophy with every training session, he says it’s time for the players to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk.

“Last year at times we probably did too much talking and didn’t show enough on the pitch.

“Our job this year is to take that out on the pitch and be more consistent, which I’m sure we will be,” said the 27-year-old.

“Standards are very high at the minute and I wouldn’t imagine they will be dropping. I couldn’t see this manager allowing that to happen.

“Hopefully by the end of the season we’ll have done the job and we’ll have won the league.”

After their 6-1 play-off final humiliation at the hands of Motherwell, there were few who would argue that Rangers were ready for the step up to the top division.

For Law, one of the few to emerge from last season with credit after finishing as the club’s top scorer with 12 goals, the warning signs were always there.

Touted as favourites for the Championship crown before a ball was kicked, the Gers were powerless to prevent a rampant Hearts side cantering to the title, and they fell well short of the standard required against Premiership strugglers Well.

He said: “I never really bought into it the way we were built up last year as the big favourites. The season before in League One we’d gone through it unbeaten, which was probably a smokescreen because we certainly weren’t great.

“People probably thought that we’d do the same again a division up, but ultimately, of course, it didn’t prove to be the case.

“If you look back now, particularly on last season, I think in a couple of years people will probably say it was better for us to have another season out of the top flight. I didn’t think we were anywhere near ready to go up.

“Obviously we were desperate to go up, but I think ultimately when you look back we weren’t ready and we weren’t good enough, it’s as simple as that.”

With a year in the Cham- pionship now under their belts, and Warburton introducing a form of “Total Football”, Law believes that with a few more additions to the playing squad, Rangers will be better equipped for two things.

One, to challenge for the title and two, to cope with the step up in class if they do go up.

“We’re hoping that we are more prepared and we know a little bit more about what to expect this year,” he said.

“It’s going to be really difficult again, but hopefully in the next few weeks the manager will strengthen us even more. We certainly need that, we’re under no illusions that we need some more boys to come in.

“The squad is very young, and as it stands we still need a little bit more and I think the manager’s touched on that.

“They won’t be rushing it and they’ll only be brought in if they can strengthen us. It’s exciting times, and I’m sure in two or three weeks when that first game comes around we’ll be a heck of a lot stronger than we were last year and more prepared for the level we’ll be playing at.

“We need to be on a level probably that Hearts were last season, losing just one or two league games all year, that’s the standard and we know that.”

Three new players have already arrived at Ibrox in the shape of Danny Wilson, Rob Kiernan and Wes Foderingham, and Law is enthused over the quality of the additions to the playing squad.

He said: “They’re really good lads and they fit into the philosophy of the manager.

“They’re ball-playing players even though it’s a goalkeeper and two centre-halves. Everybody knows what Danny can do, he was excellent last season leading Hearts to the title and he’s been excellent since he came in.

“He’s fantastic on the ball, which the manager obviously wants as he likes us to play it out from the back.

“Rob has impressed everybody. He’s a big lad and he’s got two great feet. Some of the boys are still trying to work out what foot is his preferred one, because he plays with both and he’s so comfortable in possession.

“Wes has also come in and done great and he will provide great competition in goal. So the three that have come in have been very good, and I’m sure the manager will be looking to add more players of that quality.”

I am totally fuming at this statement if he really did say it. What a way to try and justify his own poor performances. This afternoon I was all for giving him a chance under Warburton now I only want him to see the door.

Hope he either went to see the Wizard of Oz and got some courage or he's punted before the season kicks

off.

I now hope punted! This statement speaks for his displays. No belief in success.Sorry mate Rangers players should at least expect success.

While nobody can deny that the performances last year were abysmal, I think the football we played was not conducive to success. I actually agree with Law: we we're not ready to go up: we would've been saddled with McCall and been humped every other week.

I'm not giving them an excuse because they ultimately take the blame, but the football didn't help some of them. We've lost most of the under-performers now, so we can make a fresh start. I liked what Jig said on SSN last night: he took a lot of stick but it was right taht he did; they were Rangers and they finished 3rd in the Championship -- it's a joke (I paraphrase, but that's the gist of it).

Was Law not one of our top scorers? Would that not suggest he was one of the better performers? Pretty low bar, but you know what I mean. (I might have put my foot in it...!!)

While nobody can deny that the performances last year were abysmal, I think the football we played was not conducive to success. I actually agree with Law: we we're not ready to go up: we would've been saddled with McCall and been humped every other week.

I'm not giving them an excuse because they ultimately take the blame, but the football didn't help some of them. We've lost most of the under-performers now, so we can make a fresh start. I liked what Jig said on SSN last night: he took a lot of stick but it was right taht he did; they were Rangers and they finished 3rd in the Championship -- it's a joke (I paraphrase, but that's the gist of it).

Was Law not one of our top scorers? Would that not suggest he was one of the better performers? Pretty low bar, but you know what I mean. (I might have put my foot in it...!!)

At hide and seek perhaps he was but that's not what we very handsomely remunerate him for.

I doubt Warburton will indulge his particular lazy and cowardly style.

Edited by forlanssister

I said it last year and I hate to say I agree with Law but unfortunately I do , we were a shambles of a club last year and this year gives us a bit of breathing space to put in place the necessary things for next year .

I think people completely forget that if you ignore the management change, the club is in a totally different situation and mood than the last few seasons. The spvs have been chased out, and we've gone from a board trying to bleed the club, to one trying to breath life back into it.

That alone should show itself on the park and it's been obvious that our form has been worse during the biggest upheavals. The players have gone from collecting their cheques while they can to one of being part of a bright future of the club. It's like a great storm has lifted and the sun is peeping through.

I think that will reflect massively on the attitude of the players. With Warburton, I personally think we have a manager that can take that attitude, and new broom, and run with it, to create something good for the fans and hopefully a lot of success for the club.

Our hands have been tied and our muscles atrophied, now they've been released we have some muscle building to do.