Hibs reject bid for Scott Allan

Hibs statement:

Hibernian FC confirmed that the Club had received an offer from Rangers FC for midfielder Scott Allan.

The offer – for a total of £175,000 with payment terms to be negotiated – was rejected out of hand.

Leeann Dempster, Chief Executive of Hibernian, said: “There has been a lot of speculation in recent weeks regarding Rangers and their intention to bid for our player. That bid arrived three days before the two sides are due to meet in the first match of the season. It was an easy bid to reject.

“Scott Allan is one of Scotland’s best midfield talents and last season’s Championship player of the year, and any approaches for him are unwelcome.”

Head Coach Alan Stubbs said: “Scott is focused on helping Hibernian to gain promotion this season, and he will be a big player for us in meeting that challenge. He is happy to be at Hibernian and is only focused on performing well for the club and its supporters.”

Stubbs has put his foot down, and as it is becoming increasingly apparent that rangers have no money, there is no chance of rangers getting even halfway to meeting the asking price.

How many season tickets have Hibs sold?

Is the figure an increase, or decrease on last season's?

How many season tickets have Hibs sold?

Is the figure an increase, or decrease on last season's?

They had sold 5000 by the end of April - apparently an increase of 10% compared to the same point the previous year.

Not sure if they will have sold much more since then - some Hibbees suggesting they may wait until the Allan situation unfolds before committing.

Edited by Frankie

I think we should let this one go. Too many times in the past we've paid unrealistic prices for players and I think now we should show that we no longer are a milk cow. For me, it would be a statement of intent and other clubs might get the picture.

They had sold 5000 by the end of April - apparently an increase of 10% compared to the same point the previous year.

Not sure if they will have sold much more since then - some Hibbees suggesting they may wait until the Allan situation unfolds before committing.

Cheers.

I thought the feelgood factor at Easter Road was higher, runners-up and Scottish Cup semi-finalists. Further, the honeymoon with Stubbs continues and Pat(weather vane of all things Hibbery) Nevin's enthusiasm is brimful. Seriously, expected Hibs to be achieving 7-8,000 season tickets.

Hibs statement:

To quote the Borg-Queen (Star Trek - First Contact)... adapt at your leisure:

Brave words, I've heard them before

From thousands of species across thousands of worlds since long before you were created.

And now

They are all Borg.

Hibs statement:

The offer – for a total of £175,000 with payment terms to be negotiated – was rejected out of hand.

Leeann Dempster, Chief Executive of Hibernian, said: “There has been a lot of speculation in recent weeks regarding Rangers and their intention to bid for our player. That bid arrived three days before the two sides are due to meet in the first match of the season. It was an easy bid to reject.

“Scott Allan is one of Scotland’s best midfield talents and last season’s Championship player of the year, and any approaches for him are unwelcome.”

Head Coach Alan Stubbs said: “Scott is focused on helping Hibernian to gain promotion this season, and he will be a big player for us in meeting that challenge. He is happy to be at Hibernian and is only focused on performing well for the club and its supporters.”

Nowhere does it say "He is not for sale". I suspect he will be having salt and vinegar on his chips instead of salt and sauce before long.

Stubbs has put his foot down, and as it is becoming increasingly apparent that rangers have no money, there is no chance of rangers getting even halfway to meeting the asking price.

Your statement is so strangely worded and illogical that I don't even know what you're trying to say. You seem to be saying Rangers are offering money for the player therefore "have no money"? What does that even mean?

The only logical interpretation I can make is that you may be saying that Rangers have no money, therefore they are putting in an offer they know will be refused and subsequently look like they are trying to buy the player, when they aren't, to look good in front of the fans without actually spending anything.

Now while I wouldn't argue against that that was a tactic of CW, do you really think the current board would risk stooping to that? The Rangers fans are pretty savvy at this now, and just wouldn't swallow it. It would be a high risk strategy at a time when the board are asking the fans for trust.

Can I ask on what you're basing your "no chance" part? It could be true there is no chance - it could be the asking price may be quite a bit more than twice the actual value of the player - I agree that is very likely, but with your previous, "no money" assertion it looks like you think you are privy to Rangers finances. Could you expand on that and give your sources?

In the end I get the impression you just don't really get the buying and selling thing when there is no fixed price. An offer that is lower than a seller wants does not mean the buyer doesn't have enough money to pay more (although it can mean that but most of the time that is not the case and so you can't logically infer this), or that he has "no money".

It really sounds like you've been on a Hibees site and as Rangers have made an offer that is lower than you'd subjectively like, so you are jumping to false conclusions and casting aspersions to make yourselves feel better about it.

Maybe he's just not as valuable as you think. Rangers can get him next year for free, but are interested in getting him a year earlier. How much do you really think that's worth to a club, on top of his signing on fee and wages? Do you really think he's worth an extra 14 grand a week?

Hibs also have to work out whether it's worth an extra 5-8 grand a week (the money they could lose), to keep a player who wants to leave, for another year - unless they are very confident of a better offer from elsewhere.

Lets be honest, the bid is derisory. DUFC bid double a while ago. It's simply tapping up.

If Hibs sold SA and failed to replace him in time with an improvement, Stubbs and Dempster's credibility would be damaged.

There is still potential for civil war at Hibs also as long as Farmer etc remain in control. The transfer isn't going to happen unless it is on our terms. The media attack dogs can be utilised all you like but it still won't happen unless the price is right.

If he had two years on his contract, I'd say he was worth........ £900,000. (it would increase if his rehabilitation continued at same pace)

Currently I'd value him at around £600,000. (with only year on contract)

However, to a nearest rival, I'd be wanting £750,000 with a replacement ready to go.

With Cummings and Malonga up front, a mid of Fyvie, SA, Bartley, maybe mcGeouch, middle to front, I am quietly confident. These players have all improved. Defensive injuries cost us dear in the play offs. I'm not seeing anything to be worried about from ibrox or paisley and predict a Hibs championship win.