Hibs reject bid for Scott Allan

Lets be honest, the bid is derisory. DUFC bid double a while ago. It's simply tapping up.

If Hibs sold SA and failed to replace him in time with an improvement, Stubbs and Dempster's credibility would be damaged.

There is still potential for civil war at Hibs also as long as Farmer etc remain in control. The transfer isn't going to happen unless it is on our terms. The media attack dogs can be utilised all you like but it still won't happen unless the price is right.

If he had two years on his contract, I'd say he was worth........ £900,000. (it would increase if his rehabilitation continued at same pace)

Currently I'd value him at around £600,000. (with only year on contract)

However, to a nearest rival, I'd be wanting £750,000 with a replacement ready to go.

With Cummings and Malonga up front, a mid of Fyvie, SA, Bartley, maybe mcGeouch, middle to front, I am quietly confident. These players have all improved. Defensive injuries cost us dear in the play offs. I'm not seeing anything to be worried about from ibrox or paisley and predict a Hibs championship win.

you could end up with nothing for him. he's free to pre sign for anyone in January.

Calscot - when I say rangers appear to have no money, the context is; compared to every rangers team for the last 30 years. I accept you may have the ability to bid £200-300,000. which is not enough for SA.

Hibs have to work out the cost of a fan base setting fire to the boardroom at ER, if SA is sold to our nearest rivals.

I

Lets be honest, the bid is derisory. DUFC bid double a while ago. It's simply tapping up.

According to sources closer to him than the DR is or Hibs will make the public think (for obvious reasons), we bid in the region of 250k, i.e. exactly as much as DU did half a year ago. You can obviously call these sources into question, but they have been spot on before with most recent transfers. At the end of the day, we have a Scottish Championship player here, who is on the last year of his contract. We have moaned for eons that Rangers (and the Scum) have subsidised the Scottish game and nigh all other clubs, usually by paying over the odds. Of course, an EPL or English Championship team can happen by and bid 500k plus for him, since "they can". I for one see no reason to pay over the odds though and their 800k to 1m valuation is orbital, I reckon it will be nearer 400k in the end, obviously undisclosed.

Maybe it is a type tapping up but it's done in a perfectly legit way and so I can't really see the problem as long as they haven't spoken to the player.

As for the bid, you do realise that post Bosman, a player has a basic price tag which is the amount of wages left on his contract - therefore he depreciates as time goes on, which is reflected on the balance sheets? That price tag only changes when he is considered underpaid for his ability and/or if there are two or more parties interested in a bidding war.

When there is no bidding war then the effective bidding comes from the seller and prospective buyer as to who values him the most. If Hibs think he's more valuable to the team than the Rangers bid, then they are right to not sell him. Pretty simple business stuff and not something to get agitated about.

If Hibs sold SA and failed to replace him in time with an improvement, Stubbs and Dempster's credibility would be damaged.

That's Hibs' business and of no real interest to Rangers - bar how much it would take for them to sell the player and whether that fee is in the best interests of Rangers.

There is still potential for civil war at Hibs also as long as Farmer etc remain in control. The transfer isn't going to happen unless it is on our terms. The media attack dogs can be utilised all you like but it still won't happen unless the price is right.

You seem to keep missing the point that the price needs to be right according to BOTH parties, not just Hibs.

If he had two years on his contract, I'd say he was worth........ £900,000. (it would increase if his rehabilitation continued at same pace)

You're saying the guy is worth 12 grand a week? Would you offer that to him to sign a new contract? You can value him at any random number you like but I can't see any rhyme nor reason to it. You really need to qualify that. I can see him being on more than about £4 grand a week at Rangers which puts my valuation on him at about £200k. But what do I know? I'd be very surprised if the fee went over £350k which would put his wage at about £7k for a Scottish, second tier player.

However, to a nearest rival, I'd be wanting £750,000 with a replacement ready to go.

You can want as much as you like but I doubt Rangers would pay that. What you're really saying is that you'd rather turn down less than that from Rangers even though you will lose him to us next year while playing a player to whom you have just admitted that he's vastly underpaid and you are stopping him from earning an amount closer to his worth... Good luck with that.

I think your board will see more business sense than that - eventually. Unless of course in the event some English club (or Celtic) thinks he's worth 12-15 grand a week.

With Cummings and Malonga up front, a mid of Fyvie, SA, Bartley, maybe mcGeouch, middle to front, I am quietly confident. These players have all improved. Defensive injuries cost us dear in the play offs. I'm not seeing anything to be worried about from ibrox or paisley and predict a Hibs championship win.

It's hard to be a supporter without being confident and optimistic about your chances, although spouting it on a Rangers site is hardly "quiet". Fair enough, but it's what happens on the pitch that counts, so be careful not to get too cocky. Same goes for us - although I do think objectively we have far more reasons to be cheerful.

Edited by calscot

Calscot - when I say rangers appear to have no money, the context is; compared to every rangers team for the last 30 years. I accept you may have the ability to bid £200-300,000. which is not enough for SA.

First bit is pretty much from the ministry of the bleedin' obvious... ;) But saying "no money" is a bit meaningless in the context of this player.

None of us are sure how much we have the ability to pay, our new board have deep pockets, so it's entirely up to them. However, things have changed considerably and we now want and desperately need proper value for money. In the context of the current Scottish game, I think our board and fans are being far more realistic than yours. Time will tell.

Hibs have to work out the cost of a fan base setting fire to the boardroom at ER, if SA is sold to our nearest rivals.

That's for them to worry about, not us. They also have a business and a club to run as best they can, and I can't see how they can afford to be too unrealistic. That doesn't mean they can't reject the first offer, but in the absence of another bidder, they have to start to weigh things up if there is an improved second offer.

In the end Hibs have to also look at what it will cost them if they weaken their team and fail for promotion. Another year in the championship will have huge financial implications. Especially without Rangers games. Crowds of 500 would be a norm and Hibs would probably drop to 3-5000.

In saying that if Allen does sign a pre=contract in January will his heart still be in it and would he want to stop Rangers winning the league if it meant he was playing in the SPL at Rangers the next season. I think your 750.000 is a joke as he will probably only be 100% until January. He probably will try his best after that but psychologically he will probably drop down a gear.

To quote the Borg-Queen (Star Trek - First Contact)... adapt at your leisure:

Brave words, I've heard them before

From thousands of species across thousands of worlds since long before you were created.

And now

They are all Borg.

Best post ever.

You must be preparing a stand-up routine for the Fringe. WTFringe! :laugh:

Teams sell players to rivals fairly regularly, Dundee Utd have been acting as feeder side to Celtic recently and whilst their support aren't too happy Thomson and McNamara seem to have ridden the storm. Dempster and Stubbs would too, particularly if they paint Allen as agitating for a move so the support blame him. For a guy with less than 12 months on his contract and who it seems won't be signing a new one I'm not sure Hibs will have a lot of choice but to sell, it's only a matter of when and to who. I'd guess the when will be the last possible day of the transfer window in an a attempt at brinksmanship, to who is a more interesting question. That'll come down to Allen in the end, he holds the power in this, not Hibs or Rangers. Realistically in Scotland only Celtic, Dundee Utd or Rangers could afford to buy him, I can't see him rejoining Utd so it might depend on whether Celtic don't want us to have him enough to bid more. Your best hope is someone down south fancies a gamble however it didn't work out too well there before so they'll be cautious.