Players out drinking

This is brilliant - arguments about football stuff! We really have turned a corner!

Don't forget the media attack on us for merely bidding for a player under normal circumstances, we are well and truly on our way back to the very top.

I'll go with Arsene Wenger's standpoint rather than yours, thanks.

Wow, that really adds to the debate. Maybe you should get him on here to explain his standpoint... :crazy:

But if I was going to choose a manager as my champion, it would probably be Fergie... I think he knows a lot more about winning, and likes a drink himself.

However, I usually like to take on board a load of information from lots of sources (including what others on here have said) and think for myself. That way I can actually present my case in a debate...

Ultimately, I couldn't care less if a player arrives for the match straight from the pub.....as long as he does his job on the park. What they do in their own time is irrelevant.

However, if their playing performance is sub=standard, then things need to be looked at.

I don't think either should be an option for an athlete wanting to reach the pinnacle of their sport. Both Andy Murray and Chris Hoy were/are known to be tee total or drinking very rarely and nowhere near competitive action. It seems football has some catching up to do in the UK. The two best footballers in the world Messi and Ronaldo are tee total and the continental approach is way ahead of us here. Our season has just started and we have another game in a week. The drink culture and general approach to nutrition and conditioning is one of the main reasons the British nations lag behind everyone else. Do you think the Real Madrid or Barca teams will be out getting pished after their first game of the season?

The players will get away with it just now playing at this level but if we want to be competing in Europe any time soon they might need to change their ideas.

PS - I'm not trying to be a negative arse here after a great second half performance, this is something I feel really strongly about though.

I certainly don't like the idea of our players being out on the lash every night and I wouldn't even be too pleased about them being out drinking after the Hibs game if we had another game on Tuesday, but I don't see much wrong with them having a few drinks on Saturday afternoon/night when they had a week until their next game.

I can understand where you're coming from though because being out on the piss isn't symbolic of a modern professional sportsman. It shouldn't work this way, but I suppose Saturday's result makes a difference to the way we view the drinking. If Hibs had beaten us 6-2 we would view the photo of them out drinking in a completely different light.

I can't agree with your last sentence - how do you know it's not beneficial? There are plenty of studies that show alcohol is actually good for you in moderation, and there's plenty to show it's beneficial for mental-health.

Admittedly, I hadn't thought it was beneficial, but on your claims I did a quick search. It turns out there are a few health benefits, although I am not convinced of the legitimacy of the sources! However, the few health benefits listed have nothing to do with being an athlete, or nothing that would help them; for instance reducing Gallstones, reducing risk of diabetes etc. Mental health could be a good one, but it's not directly relevant to an athlete. There are plenty stories of sportsmen struggling with mental health issues, but drink is often a cause. I would love to read a good source that details the benefits to an athlete, if you could point me in the right direction?

Perhaps I would revise my statement by suggesting it maybe is beneficial in moderation in some instances, but I still do not think it is beneficial in general -- at least not as beneficial as not drinking -- to an athletes performance.

I also can't see how it says you have a "lax attitude". If it's moderate, can't that be a balanced attitude? I've never known draconian attitudes to ever work in life.

Well, if I take my premise that alcohol is not beneficial to an athletes performance, then I think it demonstrates an inability to refrain from such a substance, which IMO is a "lax attitude."

Again, perhaps I am being excessively strict here, but I just do not like to see it in a professional athlete. An athlete should be committed to a strict regime in order to achieve peak physical performance. I do not think alcohol consumption is conducive to such a goal. It may have benefits to a degree, but I don't think they directly improve an athletes physical condition. As a general rule athletes should not drink, but perhaps some may need to be prescribed alcohol for a certain symptom, but that would only be to combat a deficiency which inhibits his/her ability to reach peak physical performance. Can you agree with that?

Edited by Rousseau

Admittedly, I hadn't thought it was beneficial, but on your claims I did a quick search. It turns out there are a few health benefits, although I am not convinced of the legitimacy of the sources! However, the few health benefits listed have nothing to do with being an athlete, or nothing that would help them; for instance reducing Gallstones, reducing risk of diabetes etc. Mental health could be a good one, but it's not directly relevant to an athlete. There are plenty stories of sportsmen struggling with mental health issues, but drink is often a cause. I would love to read a good source that details the benefits to an athlete, if you could point me in the right direction?

Perhaps I would revise my statement by suggesting it maybe is beneficial in moderation in some instances, but I still do not think it is beneficial in general -- at least not as beneficial as not drinking -- to an athletes performance.

Well, if I take my premise that alcohol is not beneficial to an athletes performance, then I think it demonstrates an inability to refrain from such a substance, which IMO is a "lax attitude."

Again, perhaps I am being excessively strict here, but I just do not like to see it in a professional athlete. An athlete should be committed to a strict regime in order to achieve peak physical performance. I do not think alcohol consumption is conducive to such a goal. It may have benefits to a degree, but I don't think they directly improve an athletes physical condition. As a general rule athletes should not drink, but perhaps some may need to be prescribed alcohol for a certain symptom, but that would only be to combat a deficiency which inhibits his/her ability to reach peak physical performance. Can you agree with that?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2993059/Scott-Brown-pictured-slumped-street-alleged-drunken-night-lap-dancing-bars-just-days-Celtic-s-Scottish-League-Cup-final.html

It would appear from reports at the time, one is included, that premier athlete's do not require to fit the facts as you have lain them out.

This fellow, just a few days later after these pictures were taken, went on to captain his team to win a Scottish League Cup. He also subsequently captained his team to winning the SPFL Premiership league title. He also subsequently captained his country's national team in a few games later in the season.

This would suggest that as your argument is projected, that there is one law for players from Scotland's champion team and other laws of the training ground for mere mortal teams.

As a result of his success during the season and the success of mere mortal teams during the season, who's training regime would you expect the youth of this country to follow?

Some exceptional talents excel on the park despite the drinking culture. Of that there's little doubt.

But how many real talents are lost to the game at an early age, or don't fulfil their true potential because they can't handle it? That's the real question.

Genuinely world class athletes, cyclists, swimmers etc focus on winning by inches and very few of them drink much, if any alcohol during their training & competition schedule. It's part of what they are prepared to sacrifice to be the very best.

I don't think many British footballers have that mentality, which is a shame.

On the plus side, the photo of the players out drinking on Saturday only shows a few of our players, so it's not necessarily as if the full squad was out getting hammered. :D