God's got his half-line sorted - McColl, Woodburn, Cox.

Years ago on FF there was a debate on how the Iron Curtain would have fared in modern football. Someone reckoned, rightly imo, that Brown would have been too erratic, Young and Shaw would have struggled, McColl and Woodburn would have been just fine and Sammy Cox would have strolled it.

God's got his half-line sorted - McColl, Woodburn, Cox.

Years ago on FF there was a debate on how the Iron Curtain would have fared in modern football. Someone reckoned, rightly imo, that Brown would have been too erratic, Young and Shaw would have struggled, McColl and Woodburn would have been just fine and Sammy Cox would have strolled it.

Personally I think they would have been brought up in this time so they would have been the same level as they were then. Players develop as the game develops.

Obviously if players were timewarped from that period exactly as they were then, then no player would be up to it. I can't remember who it was but I read a story of an older ex-player recently and he said"We used to run 10 yards and pass the ball 50 yards. Now they pass the ball 10 yards and run 50 yards. Thankfully we seem to be getting back to wingers and dribblers which had virtually died out in the 90's 2000's. The Italians got us locked in defensive football. 5-3-1 or 4-4-2. Hopefully the path to open football will return for good.

Just thought I'd post this.

My wife's uncle (Harry) passed away yesterday at the grand old age of 90.

Harry was Rangers through and through he loved to talk about the Rangers teams of the 50's, I was forever in awe of the stories he told us all, over the course of the last couple of years Harry was blighted by dementia and basically went into decline.

His all-time favourite player was Sammy Cox...funny how it turned out for Harry and Sammy.

R.I.P. Harry Ballantine.

Just thought I'd post this.

My wife's uncle (Harry) passed away yesterday at the grand old age of 90.

Harry was Rangers through and through he loved to talk about the Rangers teams of the 50's, I was forever in awe of the stories he told us all, over the course of the last couple of years Harry was blighted by dementia and basically went into decline.

His all-time favourite player was Sammy Cox...funny how it turned out for Harry and Sammy.

R.I.P. Harry Ballantine.

Sorry to hear of Harry's death.

My uncle used to regularly speak of the 40s and 50s team, however his favourites was Waddell and Thornton.

Sorry to hear of Harry's death.

My uncle used to regularly speak of the 40s and 50s team, however his favourites was Waddell and Thornton.

Yeah Harry went on about those guys too and many others...he also went on a bit about current players at the time, especially Arthur Numan, I used to have fall outs with him over this, for some reason or another he just couldn't stand Arthur Numan, had no time for him at all?

Each to their own I suppose :)

Samuel Richmond Cox – The Darvel Marvel

by Gary Havlin | Contributor

"A wonder player, no matter his position ( except goal!). He takes pride of place over the many great football personalties of the present, principally because of his versatility and his ability to give a top class performance, no matter the occasion, be it for team or country. He has a natural eye and feeling for a ball and I doubt if anyone can clip a ball so hard and direct with either foot. In fact he is so adept with both right and left that it's difficult to judge that he's a natural right. As a full-back his positioning and tackling – where does he get the strength in the tackle for one so slight in frame – are unexcelled."

More:http://rangersfacts.thecoplandroad.org/2015/08/samuel-richmond-cox-darvel-marvel.html?m=1