Security & the moron

How much are we paying this security company? An out his head moron leaves the stand, enters the field of play and our security company stand and watch. The supervisor stands talking through his phone/radio, Al the while this nutter is holding up play. Looks like we are playing for untrained security personnel.

I won't go into their performance after they finally got a hold of him.

How much are we paying this security company? An out his head moron leaves the stand, enters the field of play and our security company stand and watch. The supervisor stands talking through his phone/radio, Al the while this nutter is holding up play. Looks like we are playing for untrained security personnel.

I won't go into their performance after they finally got a hold of him.

In fairness it was by no means a high security game, but I get your point about the length of time it took for the 'yellow tops' to make their move. Probably choked on their pies and cokes when they saw the moron stroll on.

These things can happen and will happen. Given that there essentially is no barrier to keep people from getting to the pitch, there is little chance that people can be stopped from going onto the pitch from virtually any corner in the ground, bar perhaps the away support.

It could well be that there was a little confusion what the order of the day was, as it was a screened game. And who was actually responsible from the steward crew - i.e. which side would go after that chap. Nothing about being untrained and whatnot. I do assume that - having a precedent now - they will place "special" people at certain places next time around, people of the "fitter" category.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the fact this nutter actually got on the pitch; the disappointing aspect was the time it took for them to make a move to remove him. It was annoying because it slowed the game down, which it was anyway at the time.

These things can happen and will happen. Given that there essentially is no barrier to keep people from getting to the pitch, there is little chance that people can be stopped from going onto the pitch from virtually any corner in the ground, bar perhaps the away support.

It could well be that there was a little confusion what the order of the day was, as it was a screened game. And who was actually responsible from the steward crew - i.e. which side would go after that chap. Nothing about being untrained and whatnot. I do assume that - having a precedent now - they will place "special" people at certain places next time around, people of the "fitter" category.

You concur with my assertion. If they don't know who is responsible, are a little confused about orders etc. then they ain't trained properly.

The security and stewarding situation is a bit of a shambles tbh because it's not just one company, it's 3 completely separate companies.

We've got G4S who still have an office in Broomloan house and still contribute a lot of security and stewarding staff.

Then we've got Garrion, the subsidiary company Green & co set up. They seem to do all sorts of stuff from stand security & stewarding management down to basic stewarding in certain areas.

Then we have a 3rd security company sub-contracted in called Servoca. Presumably they're being used for large attendances because G4S and Garrion don't have the staff numbers to cope with big crowds at Ibrox.

As well as that, I think there's probably issues with inexperienced staff because there seems to be a high staff turnover. You constantly see new stewards and security staff being told what to do (and what not to do) because it's their first day on the job.

[/b]

You concur with my assertion. If they don't know who is responsible, are a little confused about orders etc. then they ain't trained properly.

Who would train them? As Zappa said, there are up to three different security companies involved, plus the police. Even a few minutes delay in checking who does the on-field "cleaning" gives the guy a chance to run onto the park and have his fun. With a touch of ill luck, some of those out there at trackside haven't been to The Stadium (on such an occasion) before. I would reckon that next time around, a similar scenario will be dealt with faster.

As for staff turn-over, this is more or less the norm. I have been to the Olympiastadion in Berlin and now the O2 World / Mercedes-Benz-Arena and a certain core of experienced long-term folk aside, you do get loads of new faces on a regular basis. Up to 800 security folk (excluding police) or more at the Olympiastadion and 150+ at the MBA. If you don't have a security company with say 1.500+ part-timers (sic!) handy, you will struggle to cater for the demands of 50k games during a season, not least if you have other places to fill too. I can't speak for the Scottish compaines and grounds, but over here, staff revolves quickly and thus you could very well end up with more inexperienced folk at any given time in a specific place. Or, indeed, face a few minutes delay in co-ordinating the chase of a streaker.