Security & the moron

Heard the official reason it took so long for Stewards to get on the pitch is that no one other than match day officials, players and coaches / medics are allowed onto the pitch without the Stadium Manager's permission.

That was what they were saying on the radio on Saturday anyway.

Heard the official reason it took so long for Stewards to get on the pitch is that no one other than match day officials, players and coaches / medics are allowed onto the pitch without the Stadium Manager's permission.

That was what they were saying on the radio on Saturday anyway.

Stadium manager or the head of security David Martin?

Stadium manager or the head of security David Martin?

Not 100% about the formal title Zappa. It was a senior Club Official, so may well have been Head of Security.

In my defence, I'd just come off the hills after climbing 4 Munros and was still knackered, and not paying full attention!

Not 100% about the formal title Zappa. It was a senior Club Official, so may well have been Head of Security.

In my defence, I'd just come off the hills after climbing 4 Munros and was still knackered, and not paying full attention!

No worries mate, I know David Martin is 'Head of Security', but I don't actually know if he's also classed as the 'Stadium Manager'. Either way, I'd have thought that it's probably him who'd need to give the OK for security staff to go onto the pitch because he's in charge of all security and stewarding.

He's not a particularly popular chap amongst certain groups of fans for a whole bunch of reasons, but in his defense, he works extremely hard on matchdays under quite difficult circumstances. My only real criticism of him would be that he seems to dither quite a lot, so if he got a message over the walkie-talkie on Friday about the nutter running onto the pitch, then it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he dithered a bit.

No worries mate, I know David Martin is 'Head of Security', but I don't actually know if he's also classed as the 'Stadium Manager'. Either way, I'd have thought that it's probably him who'd need to give the OK for security staff to go onto the pitch because he's in charge of all security and stewarding.

He's not a particularly popular chap amongst certain groups of fans for a whole bunch of reasons, but in his defense, he works extremely hard on matchdays under quite difficult circumstances. My only real criticism of him would be that he seems to dither quite a lot, so if he got a message over the walkie-talkie on Friday about the nutter running onto the pitch, then it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he dithered a bit.

Yup, it's one of those thankless tasks where no one notices everything you get right, only the times when you get it wrong (or are wee bit slow off the mark in this case).

Yup, it's one of those thankless tasks where no one notices everything you get right, only the times when you get it wrong (or are wee bit slow off the mark in this case).

Yeah, it is a thankless task. The guy works his arse off on matchdays and it seems like a really difficult job he's got trying to coordinate all of the security & stewarding staff as well as liaising with the police. In this case, it's probably quite an awkward situation to deal with when a fan invades the pitch and a decision needs made as to which personnel should get them off it. On the other hand, you'd think it wouldn't be difficult to just give the more experienced pitch-side staff the authority to go onto the pitch if necessary.

Edited by Zappa

Yeah, it is a thankless task. The guy works his arse off on matchdays and it seems like a really difficult job he's got trying to coordinate all of the security & stewarding staff as well as liaising with the police. In this case, it's probably quite an awkward situation to deal with when a fan invades the pitch and a decision needs made as to which personnel should get them off it. On the other hand, you'd think it wouldn't be difficult to just give the more experienced pitch-side staff the authority to go onto the pitch if necessary.

Sorry guy's I don't get this. surely the security people are briefed before the match. Surely it is a standard weekly brief that if someone enters the field the best placed stewards get him off as quickly as possible. The only thing i can see that would cause time is that 3 or 4 stewards would need to get together and not anyone going it alone. I can't for the life of me see why permission has to be given for something that should be standard in the pre-match briefing.

Sorry guy's I don't get this. surely the security people are briefed before the match. Surely it is a standard weekly brief that if someone enters the field the best placed stewards get him off as quickly as possible. The only thing i can see that would cause time is that 3 or 4 stewards would need to get together and not anyone going it alone. I can't for the life of me see why permission has to be given for something that should be standard in the pre-match briefing.

That's basically what I was trying to say myself when I said:

"On the other hand, you'd think it wouldn't be difficult to just give the more experienced pitch-side staff the authority to go onto the pitch if necessary."

Although obviously the emphasis was on "the more experienced pitch-side staff".

He certainly brought some entertainment to those who find that sort of thing entertaining.

Our security were very slow in reacting to it, which added to the entertainment.

Quite funny but something for security to look at and take more seriously in future, just in case.

We shouldn't have wannabes running on the park.

Edited by Bearman

That's basically what I was trying to say myself when I said:

"On the other hand, you'd think it wouldn't be difficult to just give the more experienced pitch-side staff the authority to go onto the pitch if necessary."

Although obviously the emphasis was on "the more experienced pitch-side staff".

I wasn't barking at you Zappa just the thought of trained security people having to get permission to get a numpty off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearman

He certainly brought some entertainment to those who find that sort of thing entertaining.

Our security were very slow in reacting to it, which added to the entertainment.

Quite funny but something for security to look at and take more seriously in future, just in case.

We shouldn't have wannabes running on the park.

I doubt he will be entertaining anyone inside Ibrox again in the near future.