Raith hold off competition to sign former Rangers striker Jon Daly

Raith Rovers have held off competition from rival clubs to complete the signing of former Rangers forward Jon Daly.

The 32-year-old striker, who has recently been training with his previous club, Dundee United, following his release from Ibrox at the end of last season, has signed a short term deal until January.

Raith manager Ray McKinnon has been on the hunt for a new striker to fill the void left by a long-term injury to Lewis Vaughan, and his attention turned to Daly after a number of trialists failed to win a deal.

Daly scored 26 goals in two seasons at Rangers and, at 6ft 2in, will add a physical dimension to the Rovers attack.

Daly will be included in the squad for tomorrow night’s League Cup tie at home to Hamilton Accies.

A delighted McKinnon told the Press: “There were last minute buds from other clubs in Scotland offering a lot more money but Jon had committed to us and I’m delighted that he’s signed.

“He is exactly what we need. He’ll take a bigger responsibility awaty from Mark Stewart and Craig Wighton and help these guys immensely.

“We’ve been looking for this type of signing all summer and I said we’d wait until we got the right person.

“We’ve been speaking for over a week before we agreed a deal, and I’m really over the moon to get him.”

Daly’s arrival has been tempered with another devastating injury blow with the news that midfielder Ross Callachan his suffered a dislocated shoulder in a freak accident while out with his family.

Callachan faces an extended period on the sidelines, although the full extend of the injury will not be known until an MRI scan can be arranged to assess any soft tissue damage that may have resulted.

“I’m absolutely devasted for the player, the team and the fans beceause Call has been so good for us,” McKinnon said.
“He’s such a great young talent and to have him and Vaughan out is hurting us, no doubt, because we’re a better team when they are playing.

“We hope he’s back as soon as possible.”

McKinnon is expecting a difficult match against Hamilton tomorrow following the Lanarkshire club’s recent good run of form in the Premiership.

“They’re just on the back of beating Dundee United 4-0 and going away to Inverness and winning 2-0,” he said.

“You’ve got to be a right good side to do that.

“They’ll be full of confidence and be looking forward to the game as much as us.

“We’ll concentrate on how we want to play, get about them and try to take the game to them.”

The clubs have agreed on reduced admission prices for the League Cup tie at Stark’s Park with adults paying just £10 and concessions only £5, while two kids can go free with an accompanying adult. Kick-off tomorrow is 7.45 p.m.

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-hold-off-competition-to-sign-former-rangers-striker-1-3867276

I don't think I have ever seen such a big guy lose so many balls in the air. All the best though.

Daly epitomises all those dark days recently past. A useless waste of time, a complete disaster.

Complete rubbish ... if I for once may say so.

Came here at the start of season 13/14, played 44 games, scored 25 goals and assisted another 10. Helped us marching through League One, and scored some really nifty headed goals along the way. Out with injury for long spells thereafter and never had the chance to get any consistency. But for some, he should have scored 100 goals for us in the leagues where we played and with the "quality players" at his side. All about opinions, but some folks really get real when making comments like the above.

Daly epitomises all those dark days recently past. A useless waste of time, a complete disaster.

Completely agree. He was just horrendous in the later stage of his career and barely looked fit to be playing at any level. Typical of the McCoist regime - old, immobile, predictable, no technique, direct. Scoring quite a few goals in the Scottish third tier for Rangers doesn't count for anything - any half decent striker would have been breaking records.