Breaking: Green, Whyte And Whitehouse to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court tomorrow

So do you think it's perfectly acceptable for HMRC to go round issuing tax bills to companies for amounts to which they are not entitled?

Well to be honest they do send large tax bills to even ordinary people because they know they will get a reaction. After 5 years of living in Holland I suddenly came into the visors of the Dutch tax office. They hit me with a tax bill for 500.000 guilders. My immediate reaction was shock and contacted them to get it sorted out. After filling in tax forms for the 5 years I ended up getting 3000 guiders back. The bill for 500k certainly gave them the reaction they were looking for as I contacted them within hours of getting the bills.

Everything being in the accounts is no defense though. Not when it comes to HMRC, as the accounts show very little with regards to tax obligations.

HMRC did not "whip up a rule" - the rule was put in place to close a loophole. I do agree that retrospective application of tax rules seems unfair to the entities who had merely employed tax avoidance schemes. However, HMRC regulations allow for these to be applied retrospectively, so they still acted within their remit. Should tax law be altered for this ? I believe so.

It is not HMRC's obligation to dictate who should and should not be allowed to purchase companies. Should they have had a tighter reign on us not paying taxes after Whyte got control ? Maybe. But then we seem to conveniently forget that the CLUB had an obligation to those taxes and simply weren't paying them. Further, what if HMRC had approached us about non-payment earlier ? What was Whyte going to do ? He didn't have the money so administration was coming anyway - and the EBT "liability" was always going to ensure a CVA wouldn't be accepted (as HMRC believed they would win that case)

Seeing you know so much about HMRC care to tell us why they settled EBT's with Arsenal (& Chelsea ?) but refused to settle with Rangers?

They became not entitled to it after the court case and for it to go to court they needed to issue the demand.

I'm not saying that HMRC's actions are blameless and there's a lot in this whole case that they should be criticised for, but my specific point was on the merits of the argument.

Did HMRC not originally find against Rangers hence the tax bill? Were we not appealing the decsion?

I see other problems with the system though, the main one being the amount of time it took to come to tribunal. The tax system should not be so slow as to kill off companies due to the amount of time they take while having the threat of huge tax bills.

Should there not also be some kind of system whereby they limit losses by judging just how winnable a case is and plee bargaining the ones they are less likely to win?

Thirdly should there not be some consistency in how companies are treated, eg Vodaphone?

And fourthly, there is a reason for the statute of limitations, should it not also apply to tax - at least where it's a bit grainy?

When you add in the retrospecitveness, and other strange and unethical practices by HMRC (such as releasing information), they can have all the "entitlement" they like but it looks like that entitlement comes from a very fucked up and unfair system that makes our government look pretty tin-pot

Surely, even negating this is Rangers, and our blue tinted specs, doesn't our country deserve better?

I don't know about anyone else, but as a tax payer in the UK, I no longer have any trust in the tax man and his unethical rules.

Sorry for not going into all detail on this rather hot and sunny afternoon on things that have been done to death before. I essentially done it "lightweight" since the court / tribunal rulings thus far have shown that even if we had done it not 100% correctly, it was hardly done in a way chased by HMRC. Something we know now. Something quite a few of us felt year ago.

Its all been covered though, the club was raped, the old company ruined, and the judge sits over the latest attempt by HMRC to grab a few pennies from the corpse. All we can do is sit and wait ... and hope that if it all go awry for HMRC, some MP et al worth his salt takes them to the cleaners as well.

Unless I'm mistaken, we were initially found GUILTY of the BTC....

We then appealed & won.

HMRC then appealed and lost

HMRC then appealed again and lost

no weren't "found guilty" of anything. There was no court case or tribunal.

HMRC decided EBT's were illegal and demanded £50 million back tax + £50 million fine from us.

we appealed and won on the First tier tax tribunal.

Hmrc appealed that at an Upper tier tax tribunal and we won again.

HMRC appealed that and we're awaiting the outcome.

The Daily Record ‏@Daily_Record 18m18 minutes ago

BREAKING: Former Rangers administrator David Whitehouse has been arrested. More to follow

:giruy::flipa::fingers::wanker:

:party::party::party::party3::party3::party3::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate2::celebrate2::celebrate2::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::yay::yay::yay: