New Dutch Football Coaching

Not rangers News but I think it is worth discussing in this forum.

The new method of coaching for 7/8 years old is that Parents must stand at least 20 meters from the field of play. They are only allowed to make complimentary or positive remarks to their kids. They are not allowed to instruct the kids and have to be positive about the decisions the kids make. There is no referee and the kids decide themselves if a foul has been committed. Even the coaches have to promote the positive things that have been done instead of pointing out a barrow load of mistakes.

This is an attempt to bring fair play into the future.

Worth discussion I think.

Most of that is being done in the UK anyway Pete.

Is it? Im pretty sure I hear stories on Talksport about fathers practically having punch ups at kids games.

Its a good rule and a good way to build confidence.

[quote=Gribz;

Is it? Im pretty sure I hear stories on Talksport about fathers practically having punch ups at kids games.

I am not up on UK coaching methods Craig and it is possible Holland are taking it over from the UK. The Dutch can't be first with every coaching idea.

As Gribz stated I have seen parents screaming at each other down the line and have heard stories on news channels of multi parent punch-ups. I have also seen some parents ending up about 10 yards inside the line screaming instructions. The no referee thing is great in theory but it could cause lengthy discussions and who will stop the game.

I suppose that is the whole idea to get the kids discussing decisions. As BM says it will be interesting to see how it pans out in 10 years time when todays kids are about 18.

[quote=Gribz;

I am not up on UK coaching methods Craig and it is possible Holland are taking it over from the UK. The Dutch can't be first with every coaching idea.

As Gribz stated I have seen parents screaming at each other down the line and have heard stories on news channels of multi parent punch-ups. I have also seen some parents ending up about 10 yards inside the line screaming instructions. The no referee thing is great in theory but it could cause lengthy discussions and who will stop the game.

I suppose that is the whole idea to get the kids discussing decisions. As BM says it will be interesting to see how it pans out in 10 years time when todays kids are about 18.

Craig , my mate watch,s his boy every week and has done for years , last year they reached the scottish cup final , some of the stories he tells on a weekly basis are mental , parents and coaches are out of control in some cases

Craig is correct that this idea has been around the last 4 years or so. It can work with younger age groups and depends the areas involved. As they move to 11 aside competitive football it all starts getting a bit nastier. The real horror stories are probably in the minority but there is a simmering undercurrent in many games with arsehole coaches and agressive parents.. the big debate that takes place is the idea of non competitive football for youngsters. You have the old school side who just scorn it and want their kids and teams to get intae the opposition from a young age as they think they are developing winners. On the other side some are to namby pamby and want it all sterilised and contact and agression free. For me and i believe the succesful youth development coaches would say that football is always competitive as that is the nature of the game,the key is do you believe that its win at all costs for kids or is there times when it really isnt the end of the world if you lose a game but the manner you played and the effort displayed can be equally important.

Its a good rule and a good way to build confidence.

At the pro level, certainly in England, parents have to sign contracts. If they try to coach, or argue, or do anything other than just general encouragement their kid is on a "3 strikes" basis. Happens 3 times and kid is asked to leave Academy

At the pro level, certainly in England, parents have to sign contracts. If they try to coach, or argue, or do anything other than just general encouragement their kid is on a "3 strikes" basis. Happens 3 times and kid is asked to leave Academy

Aye unless he's a pretty special talent and they will get as many strikes as they want...lol