Relentless Rangers refuse to take foot off the gas

There is a line of thinking that the way the team are currently playing maybe less physically draining than previous seasons.

We are generally in control of the ball for large periods of the match - the players are not chasing things, or running about like headless chickens. Everything is done in a controlled manner. This should make it less tiring for the players - the opposition are doing a helluva lot more work.

Poor stuff on here again. You'd think we'd learned something from Warburton. I really can't imagine our current manager is very popular with you as he's guilty of so many of Ally crimes.

"Having a laugh and having fun in training" vs "Really enjoying the training and looking forward to coming into work"

"Ally only plays youngsters when he has to" vs "I'll dip into the academy if it's needed"

"Ally plays players out of position" vs "a small hungry squad that can play in multiple positions"

"How dare Ally give the players an afternoon off, or the day off after a game" vs "we had three days off and then smashed it in training"

Then we have players miraculously becoming much, much fitter in a matter of a few weeks, and that's after Ally used fitness experts... Show the evidence...

Nandos - yeah, players aren't allowed to eat, especially when it's low fat, low carb, high protein stuff like chicken...

As I've said before, I'm no Ally lover, but I do dislike it when people use immaterial rubbish to put someone down, especially when the same things can apply to the guy they are lauding.

Like I say, if you apply the same crap to Warburton, you're putting him in the same bracket as McCoist. He's guilty as charged of these "crimes".

So maybe there's more to better management than non-stop fitness training, no days off, banning fun and laughter, banning chicken, playing a load of youths, and only playing in one position... And maybe not having a load of shit behind the scenes really helps.

Edited by calscot

Poor stuff on here again. You'd think we'd learned something from Warburton. I really can't imagine our current manager is very popular with you as he's guilty of so many of Ally crimes.

"Having a laugh and having fun in training" vs "Really enjoying the training and looking forward to coming into work"

"Ally only plays youngsters when he has to" vs "I'll dip into the academy if it's needed"

"Ally plays players out of position" vs "a small hungry squad that can play in multiple positions"

"How dare Ally give the players an afternoon off, or the day off after a game" vs "we had three days off and then smashed it in training"

Then we have players miraculously becoming much, much fitter in a matter of a few weeks, and that's after Ally used fitness experts... Show the evidence...

Nandos - yeah, players aren't allowed to eat, especially when it's low fat, low carb, high protein stuff like chicken...

As I've said before, I'm no Ally lover, but I do dislike it when people use immaterial rubbish to put someone down, especially when the same things can apply to the guy they are lauding.

Like I say, if you apply the same crap to Warburton, you're putting him in the same bracket as McCoist. He's guilty as charged of these "crimes".

So maybe there's more to better management than non-stop fitness training, no days off, banning fun and laughter, banning chicken, playing a load of youths, and only playing in one position... And maybe not having a load of shit behind the scenes really helps.

It's good to let it all out and get things off your chest now and again, eh? :D

Wouldn't be so bad if it was just chicken but I cant imagine Boyd having a meal there without the fries ;)

I think we are all just noticing what a massive difference a good coach and manager has done on a professional basis.

Wouldn't be so bad if it was just chicken but I cant imagine Boyd having a meal there without the fries ;)

So you're slagging a manager off for a meal you "imagine" one of the players had? Also, don't you have a cheat day?

The point is that the criticism is erroneous, and you don't know what the current players are eating on their day off and Nando's seems a good choice to me compared to many other places.

I think we are all just noticing what a massive difference a good coach and manager has done on a professional basis.

Indeed we are, but do you really think that Warburton is an excellent manager because he bans the likes of Nando's, and that's what's making the difference? I personally think it's something far more substantial. You seem to be insulting the players, McCoist and most of all, Warburton all at once, without any real facts or considered analysis whatsoever.

I think your prejudice is clouding your judgement - why are you not slagging off Warburton for giving the players 3 days off, but you slag McCoist for giving an afternoon? You slag McCoist off for hearing about Nando's but are ok about players in the pub under Warburton? (I'm fine with both)

If your going to slag someone off, make it something real, something substantial and use some consistency, otherwise you're just slinging mud on one of our own.

Warburton is not just a far better manager than McCoist, he's a far better than just about any manager we know we could hire. He's not good just because you think McCoist was bad, it's far more substantial than that and his success shouldn't be measured against perceived trivial failures of McCoist. Dick Advocaat, was the micromanaging, control freak that you seem to desire, and look what happened there.

The thing is, Warburton wasn't even an obvious choice - otherwise he'd have gone to the EP, he's a diamond we discovered in a coal bunker. We're lucky to have discovered him and he can only be exceptional if he's doing stuff that is less than obvious to your average fan.

I think stuff like "pitch geography" is more what he's concentrating on than Nando's, golf or taking the fun out of training.

Come on Cal you must now see the difference in the fitness levels of our players. If not you are hiding your head in the sand.

Maybe instead of me with my head in the sand, you are just wearing blinkers. You seem to think you're a fitness expert than can tell fitness merely by "watching". So do you really know the difference between actual fitness and the amount of effort someone is putting in, and the motivation they have? I would say we're seeing the latter two - and I would be confident in saying not all of it is down to Warburton - although he's doing a fantastic job.

However, it has to be remembered he doesn't have the same job as McCoist, it's a different ballgame behind the scenes.

If you have objective evidence that the players are far fitter now than a couple of months ago then please show it. I really don't think the likes of Wallace has gone from the perceived, very unfit, under three different managers, to top fitness in a couple of months.

I do believe his attitude has changed, he's buying into the new management and atmosphere at the club. I believe he's putting in more effort in training and busting a gut on the field - and enjoying it all. I believe his fitness will have improved a bit, but I think it will be more down to his attitude and motivation than the actual training regime - the latter is a part of the job where I don't think Warburton can bring too much that is revolutionary.

I think it's how he sees how the players should play the game as a team, while allowing players to express their individuality, where he is being revolutionary. Coupled with great man management which, with the enjoyable and successful way we play, is creating a feel good factor, where players respect what he's doing and will "run through walls" for him - and us.

As I said in my previous post, giving Warburton credit for more trivial aspects as relative to preconceived failings of a previous manager in previously horrendous circumstances, does him a great disservice.

I think he is far better than every manager in Scotland, not just McCoist, and I really don't it's just because all managers (and coaches and sports scientist) in Scotland are crap at fitness training.

You may think my head is in the sand, but I think you have to ask yourself, are you, yourself are seeing the bigger picture? I think it's time to drop the petty Ally bashing stuff and give MW some proper respect for what he's achieving.