Armed Forces Day At Ibrox this weekend (vs Livingston)

They could, and I believe it is being toned down, but what's the problem with it? A vast majority of the crowd seem to enjoy it as to the participants.

USA have these kind of things all the time and nobody bats an eyelid. It seems to be only in the UK (or is it just Scotland?) that people seem to have a problem with this kind of thing.

I'm uncomfortable with the celebratory aspect of it, it's a personal thing and I'm not sure it's connected to my nationality. My father and my uncle were both in the Royal Marines, both my grandfathers were soldiers and I've a great uncle buried in a field in Belgium somewhere. For me it's not about being anti-army or anything like that, quite the opposite. I support the club honouring the armed forces, a minutes silence at the match nearest armistice day, a collection for Erskine and donating tickets to soldiers etc I can fully back. However it's the 'party' atmosphere I'm uncomfortable with, it's all got a bit of the 'Oh What A Lovely War' about it for me. I think it takes away from the reality of war and the eases the path with which politicians can send young men to their deaths and tabloids can whip up demands that we do so.

I don't think it's just a Scottish thing either, many European countries are uncomfortable with this type of military celebration.

I'm uncomfortable with the celebratory aspect of it, However it's the 'party' atmosphere I'm uncomfortable with, it's all got a bit of the 'Oh What A Lovely War' about it for me.

I think it takes away from the reality of war and the eases the path with which politicians can send young men to their deaths and tabloids can whip up demands that we do so.

I think that you're over-exaggerating the impact of it. I hardly think that tomorrow will have any influence over whether the armed services get sent to fight against Isis.

As for taking away from the reality of war, damn right. Do you think those who are putting their lives on the line want to be reminded about that tomorrow? Why not recognise them and their bravery and give them a good reception? Far better that than standing in silence.

It's never struck me as being anti-anyone and therefore I just can't see any connection between it and celebrating war or victories over anyone else. It's just about acknowledging people who are willing to put their lives on the line for this country, while I know that I'll return to my 9-5 desk a few days later.

I think that you're over-exaggerating the impact of it. I hardly think that tomorrow will have any influence over whether the armed services get sent to fight against Isis.

As for taking away from the reality of war, damn right. Do you think those who are putting their lives on the line want to be reminded about that tomorrow? Why not recognise them and their bravery and give them a good reception? Far better that than standing in silence.

It's never struck me as being anti-anyone and therefore I just can't see any connection between it and celebrating war or victories over anyone else. It's just about acknowledging people who are willing to put their lives on the line for this country, while I know that I'll return to my 9-5 desk a few days later.

Not favouring flag waving and abseiling doesn't mean I don't recognise their bravery Bluedell, it's not an either/or scenario.

It's not about reminding the soldiers about the reality of war, I'm pretty sure they've got a fairly good handle on that already, it's about reminding the politicians and members of the public who are completely detached from it. Too often in the past this country has sent young men off to die for no good reason other than it was politically expedient. I'm against anything that makes that easier.

The armed forces have already been sent to fight ISIS even though parliament voted against military intervention. I'm not sure if tomorrow's activities will embolden those politicians or not but I'd rather not take the chance.

For me personally, I have no problem with the armed forces day that the club does but always felt that it sometimes got OTT at half time. Obviously that's changed now and feel like there is a mutual respect between the crowd and those on the pitch.

My friend is going to be on the pitch at half time and as a life long Rangers fan, he's absolutely thrilled at the opportunity. It's hard to criticise when the support appear to back the idea and the military personnel appreciate it too.

That's pish IMO.

Also although I accept the intent by the club and most fans is honourable there are some who try to turn it into a jingoistic pantomime, mostly the young team who have never been involved in a war.

I'm nearly sixty and i haven't been involved in a war. Thanks to to our armed forces past and present, me and the young team can sit in safety and comfort, whilst they put their lives on the line, so we all can have the freedom to do that. It's not jingoistic and certainly no pantomime, celebrating their sacrifice and bravery. If you feel so strongly about it, stay away tomorrow, same goes for Johnmc.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

Not favouring flag waving and abseiling doesn't mean I don't recognise their bravery Bluedell, it's not an either/or scenario.

Of course not, but it is giving people the opportunity to express their gratitude and appreciation, when they might not otherwise have one. Doing something anonymously isn't the same as standing up and applauding them.

it's about reminding the politicians and members of the public who are completely detached from it. Too often in the past this country has sent young men off to die for no good reason other than it was politically expedient. I'm against anything that makes that easier.

The armed forces have already been sent to fight ISIS even though parliament voted against military intervention. I'm not sure if tomorrow's activities will embolden those politicians or not but I'd rather not take the chance.

That's a very obscure argument. Where do you stop with it? Does buying a poppy do the same? Should we ban all war games for the PS and Xbox? It's like saying let's ban all cars to eliminate road accidents.

I just don't see that tomorrow will have any impact on such things and there will be minimal coverage in the press for it and no politicians, and since when did any politician do anything that was in line with the Rangers support? They tend to do the opposite, which would in itself be an obscure argument for making more of tomorrow!

I'm uncomfortable with the celebratory aspect of it, it's a personal thing and I'm not sure it's connected to my nationality. My father and my uncle were both in the Royal Marines, both my grandfathers were soldiers and I've a great uncle buried in a field in Belgium somewhere. For me it's not about being anti-army or anything like that, quite the opposite. I support the club honouring the armed forces, a minutes silence at the match nearest armistice day, a collection for Erskine and donating tickets to soldiers etc I can fully back. However it's the 'party' atmosphere I'm uncomfortable with, it's all got a bit of the 'Oh What A Lovely War' about it for me. I think it takes away from the reality of war and the eases the path with which politicians can send young men to their deaths and tabloids can whip up demands that we do so.

I don't think it's just a Scottish thing either, many European countries are uncomfortable with this type of military celebration.

the day is about the soldiers not the war. They deserve all the joy they can muster. Next you will want families to not have welcome home parties As bunting is unbecoming.

Those serviceman I have spoke to who have taken part have all expressed the joy and thanks they felt. For once they felt loved and respected. The psychological benefit to each serviceman and women should be put first before the feelings of the precious few who think respect begins in sorrow

Let our soldiers enjoy themselves they have already spent enough time in misery on your behalf.

It's not about reminding the soldiers about the reality of war, I'm pretty sure they've got a fairly good handle on that already, it's about reminding the politicians and members of the public who are completely detached from it. Too often in the past this country has sent young men off to die for no good reason other than it was politically expedient. I'm against anything that makes that easier.

I'm sorry, JohnMc, but that just doesn't compute. If you think that a crowd of people who are gathered together to watch a game of football, and who vocally show their support for their armed forces in a relaxed manner, will have any impact on a politician contemplating sending these same armed forces personnel off to war then I would say you have my permission to organize an unarmed politican day at Ibrox and you can inform us of how many armed forces personnel who refuse to comply with any decision that said politicians make about sending these armed forces personnel off to war.

I'm sure the football crowd would show their support for your political sensitivity in an appropriate manner.

While you're at it you could differentiate between which group is a blight on the national psyche and which group is a comfort to the national psyche.

I've seen you make a lot of good, well-reasoned arguments over the years - this has to be your weakest.