Ally McCoist - Club Statement

there's no argument that he was out of his depth as a manager.

However he will have seen money poring out of the club and going who knows where.

He decided fans should get a whack of this and employed the best players (he thought) who would come, at exorbitant rates to give the fans a slice of the pie.

In the same vane I could see him thinking any money he didn't take as a wage would go to the fuckers who were draining us dry

just my opinion

there's no argument that he was out of his depth as a manager.

However he will have seen money poring out of the club and going who knows where.

He decided fans should get a whack of this and employed the best players (he thought) who would come, at exorbitant rates to give the fans a slice of the pie.

In the same vane I could see him thinking any money he didn't take as a wage would go to the fuckers who were draining us dry

just my opinion

You couldn't possibly be more off the mark here, in my opinion.

FS, I'm not sure how that is relevant to the original contract he was offered - my point was that the exorbitant salary that he was originally on was the doing of his superiors, not the man himself. So the original level of his salary wasn't his fault - indeed, even with the "window dressing" of the reduction for the IPO and immediate reinstatement - that would have needed a complicit Board to approve that..... we know how complicit the previous Board were - but, from what I can see, the thing that can be leveled at McCoist is deceit, but not the setting of one's own salary level.

What am I missing ?

Demanding his salary be reinstated to the higher original amount is him effectively setting his own salary is it not?

FS, I'm not sure how that is relevant to the original contract he was offered - my point was that the exorbitant salary that he was originally on was the doing of his superiors, not the man himself. So the original level of his salary wasn't his fault - indeed, even with the "window dressing" of the reduction for the IPO and immediate reinstatement - that would have needed a complicit Board to approve that..... we know how complicit the previous Board were - but, from what I can see, the thing that can be leveled at McCoist is deceit, but not the setting of one's own salary level.

What am I missing ?

If we look at these stories published at the times they happened, we see that McCoist did not demand a huge salary but rather his salary was in fact TUPE'd over after liquidation ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2443297/Rangers-boss-Ally-McCoist-set-agree-400-000-wage-cut.html'>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2443297/Rangers-boss-Ally-McCoist-set-agree-400-000-wage-cut.html

However, McCoist’s salary was predetermined when the old company was liquidated last year by virtue of Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations (TUPE).

This means that he automatically reverted to the sum he earned in his first season in management when Rangers were an SPL club.

He voluntarily agreed a wage cut with Mather, even although his original rolling contract was still in effect. ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2443297/Rangers-boss-Ally-McCoist-set-agree-400-000-wage-cut.html

Published: 23:25 GMT, 3 October 2013

Sportsmail understands McCoist will see his pay drop to just over £400,000 once talks with Mather are concluded, with the wage bill of the management team falling from £1.2m to around £700,000.

Just before McCoist resigns, these were the directors ...

The three Rangers International Football Club directors - Somers, Derek Llambias and James Easdale - and Sandy Easdale, the chairman of The Rangers Football Club board.

After he resigns, this is the boards statement to the Stock Exchange. We can see that on resignation his original contract triggers a clause requiring his original salary to be paid while he works his notice. ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/11293747/Ally-McCoist-resigns-as-Rangers-manager-but-salary-goes-up-to-750000-a-year.html

By Telegraph Sport

7:26AM GMT 15 Dec 2014

Ally McCoist's time as Rangers manager appears to be up after the club told the Stock Exchange he had resigned.

Three days after reports first surfaced that McCoist had offered his resignation, a statement on Monday morning confirmed he had tendered it.

A 12-month notice period has now been triggered, with the club saying they will now hold talks with their record scorer.

In the meantime, the 52-year-old's wage, according to the statement, is increased to £750,000 per year.

The statement read: "The company announces that Alastair McCoist, manager of the first team squad, has resigned. His service contract dated December 28, 2010, which was subsequently amended, has a 12-month notice period ("Notice Period").

"The directors will hold discussions with Mr McCoist to seek an amicable solution in the best interests of the company, and expect to be in a position to make a further announcement before the end of the week. During the notice period, Mr McCoist's salary will increase significantly to GBP750,000 per annum."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ally-mccoist-reasons-behind-rangers-4842819

Q: Your salary reverts back to £750,00. What do you think about it being made public?

A: I worked for nothing for months. I decided to take a 45 per cent cut, I then took a 40 per cent cut. I’m not saying: “Give Ally a big pat on the back” but there’s a wee bit more to it than meets the eye. Other factors should be taken into account as well.

Q: The board say they’re working towards an “amicable solution” with you. What does that mean?

A: The amicable agreement is that I’m going to work my 12 months. I understand people thinking standards might drop among players when they know a manager is leaving but I can assure the supporters we won’t allow that to happen. We need to reassure people that standards at our club will be as high as possible.

I guess, when the directors probably could not get McCoist to drop back to his reduced salary they dumped him and installed McDowall. Don't forget that there was a lot of acrimony flying around at this time. Also, T3Bs had offered a package of £6.5M and been turned down. LLambias had instigated layoffs to staff that McCoist had accepted a reduced salary to help keep them in jobs.

Maybe McCoist had just had enough of these guys and decided that he was going to get his share before there was none left.

King bought his shares at the turn of the year and the EGM was in March. Why he did not agree a settlement with King before now, I have no idea.

Edited by barca72

McCoist undoubtedly deserves criticism for his signings, tactics, seeming inability to motivate his team and for focusing on a meaningless unbeaten run in league 2, when he should have been blooding youngsters for the final 8 games. I'm also disappointed that it took so long for him to reach a settlement with the current Board.

I'm reluctant to go much further than that, unless someone can shed more light on the murky world of power struggles, black-ops style PR, illegality and greed that was Ibrox in recent years.

I don't know how long he worked for nothing during the admin period (he has said in the past that it was "months") and I don't know how much of that loss and subsequent pay reductions, he eventually recovered.

However, if it was indeed Ally who forced Green to stand up to those who wanted to strip us of titles, then for that alone he would deserve our enduring gratitude.

I suspect that history might judge him a little less harshly than most Bears do at the moment.