Ally McCoist - Club Statement

is that not a good thing?

could he not have waited and got the job later?

do you think its the only offer he has had or will get?

should he not get a job? What would you have him do?

It suggests that he only gave up the cash at Rangers to get cash elsewhere, and there was nothing magnanimous about his actions.

As for getting the job later, these sorts of things tend to get offered once.

that's because it is complete and utter nonsense. He never backed green to get shares.

So why did he back Green? Do you not think he should be criticised for doing so and strengthening Green's position?

gardening leave is severance in my mind, but your right he may have given up more than a 1/4 going with DK's comments.

So you've got no idea how much Ally gave up and were just plucking figures out the air.

For all we know it could be back dated and the settlement agreed could include 6 months money or a years or a weeks since DK said talks were held up by him as he had more important issues to deal with.

:D

There's nothing wrong with still loving Ally, but it's wrong to say that he's only guilty of bad management. There are other things that he has done wrong....and a lot that he's done right. There's no reason not to acknowledge that (and the fact that he's always been extremely money orientated) and still regard him as a hero. I'm on the fence at the moment and do hope that time cures it.

It doesn't make up for the unethical queasiness of the last year, but we do forget that he was on nothing for a while and then took a 50% cut. It's not as bad as it looked, at least for me; but I'm not sure if I'm seeing what I want to see?

As for his dalliance with Green, surely most of us -- I realise not all -- thought he was the 'saviour' at that time. Why wouldn't McCoist get sucked into that? He probably doesn't have a scooby about the business implications. And buying shares, which most of us did, was a good move at the time, putting money into the club. The profit he made from the shares, like everyone else who bought shares, is irrelevant IMO.

Again, I'm not sure if I'm seeing what I want to see?

Edited by Rousseau

So why did he back Green? Do you not think he should be criticised for doing so and strengthening Green's position?

While people may come out and declare that he was looking after his own and a nice contract, I would suggest that McCoist was "supportive of Green" not for the sake of GreenCo, but the club as such. We were in dire straits and needed financial backing from the fans. That the finances where siphoned away from the club was ot exactly Ally's fault, nor - I would suggest - anything he anticipated.

worked for free

took 50% pay cut

gave up 1/4 of his severance

kept rangers alive

defended our titles

All he is guilty of is being a poor manager( doubt that was on purpose although going by some you would think he did it on purpose).

As a support we cant half be a bunch of lousy bastards at times.

Let's maintain some semblance of reality here. The fortune he spent and constant failures he endured may have been down to his complete lack of any ability as a manager, but it was his lack of integrity that that saw him outstay his welcome for years, on an absolutely obscene salary. Not only that, when he finally did leave, he proceeded to remain for almost 1 year doing nothing whatsoever, with his wage going back to his high English Premiership level figure. Such was his ineptitude though, it was far better having him sitting at home, as at least he could not cause us any more damage. You can't really make it up - he is thoroughly unscrupulous. He is never, ever welcome back at Ibrox, as far as I'm concerned.

Not wanting to add fuel to the fire of the rights\wrongs of all this one, I think one of the saddest things to come out of all the problems of the last decade is that a figure such as Ally, who was revered above almost all others before the difficulties started, is now considered as person-non-grata by large elements of the support.

I'm not talking about the rights and wrongs of the situation, many have very strong views that are unlikely to ever be swayed. For some, Ally could turn around tomorrow and buy the Easdale shares, buy out the Mike Ashley contracts and return them to the club, pass his shares to Rangers first and repay every penny he ever earned and still be demonised. Likewise there are others for whom he could walk into Ibrox tomorrow, take the keys, lock the door and hand the whole thing over to Mike Ashley, Craig White or Charles Green and they'd be sure he "had his reasons and did it for the good of the club". Those views will likely never change for many. It's just a sad state of affairs when someone of such a legendary status manages to fall so far and for me, this is the saddest thing about everything thats happened. All the other problems can be rectified with time and it becomes nothing more than a short blip in our great history. Ally's reputation (for many) can never be repaired. After all the great memories he's given us, I find that difficult to fully accept.

Not wanting to add fuel to the fire of the rights\wrongs of all this one, I think one of the saddest things to come out of all the problems of the last decade is that a figure such as Ally, who was revered above almost all others before the difficulties started, is now considered as person-non-grata by large elements of the support.

I'm not talking about the rights and wrongs of the situation, many have very strong views that are unlikely to ever be swayed. For some, Ally could turn around tomorrow and buy the Easdale shares, buy out the Mike Ashley contracts and return them to the club, pass his shares to Rangers first and repay every penny he ever earned and still be demonised. Likewise there are others for whom he could walk into Ibrox tomorrow, take the keys, lock the door and hand the whole thing over to Mike Ashley, Craig White or Charles Green and they'd be sure he "had his reasons and did it for the good of the club". Those views will likely never change for many. It's just a sad state of affairs when someone of such a legendary status manages to fall so far and for me, this is the saddest thing about everything thats happened. All the other problems can be rectified with time and it becomes nothing more than a short blip in our great history. Ally's reputation (for many) can never be repaired. After all the great memories he's given us, I find that difficult to fully accept.

I can remember in the not too distant past Sandy Jardine being lambasted on supporter message-boards. Some of the stuff written about him was incredibly harsh and some spoke about him in a way you wouldn't expect them to speak about a Celtic legend far less one our own.

Needless to say you don't read that kind of comment about Jardine now.

I think something similar will happen with McCoist, at some point in the future people will start to look at his entire career rather than just the last 12 months and McCoist will once again be recognised as arguably the greatest living Ranger. Thankfully it seems the people running our club have a more balanced view of McCoist than some of the posters on here and elsewhere.

Not strictly true as the Charlotte Fakes leaks demonstrate, he agreed to a salary reduction pre - IPO but wanted it reinstated and the shortfall made up as soon as the IPO was past, a blatant attempt to hoodwink the fans in regards to his real salary.

FS, I'm not sure how that is relevant to the original contract he was offered - my point was that the exorbitant salary that he was originally on was the doing of his superiors, not the man himself. So the original level of his salary wasn't his fault - indeed, even with the "window dressing" of the reduction for the IPO and immediate reinstatement - that would have needed a complicit Board to approve that..... we know how complicit the previous Board were - but, from what I can see, the thing that can be leveled at McCoist is deceit, but not the setting of one's own salary level.

What am I missing ?

So you've got no idea how much Ally gave up and were just plucking figures out the air.

:D

There's nothing wrong with still loving Ally, but it's wrong to say that he's only guilty of bad management. There are other things that he has done wrong....and a lot that he's done right. There's no reason not to acknowledge that (and the fact that he's always been extremely money orientated) and still regard him as a hero. I'm on the fence at the moment and do hope that time cures it.

He didnt back green. He made an assessment at the time of what was the best course of action for the future of the club. Telling fans to buy st was the correct call.

Yes I plucked figure out the sky same as you are plucking reasons and actions out the sky. Your putting 2 and 2 together and getting 20.