Support your local team: Rangers v Livington preview

“Support your local team.” A phrase regularly hurled with gleeful ire by fans of smaller, provincial clubs at those of bigger, more successful clubs.

Growing up a Rangers fan in Livingston, it’s certainly a phrase I’ve heard more than once. But should mere geography actually hold the most sway when it comes to the football team you support?

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/match-analysis/435-support-your-local-team-rangers-v-livingston

An excellent preview from Russell Tierney this week. Due to the fact it contains an interesting interview with a Livi fan and, thus is formatting accordingly, I'll ask folk to view it on the main site please.

Bring on the Lions!

I really enjoyed that piece, thanks to the author. It wouldn't be out of place on a Livvy (I will call them what I like!) forum as well as a Rangers one, and it was certainly an worthwhile read and a good format.

It is quite like the couple of pages in the matchday programme this season (a great read now) where we interview a local journalist from our opponents area about how they are doing, who to look out for etc and is a good insight into our opponents when really I dont have a clue about them and havent heard of any of their players.

No poetry, no physcobabble, no trying to cleverly relate a game to nothing whatsoever to do with it, just a good old-fashioned football preview piece. More of this please!!

I lived on the Black Isle when I was younger - grew up there. Once Ross County were established my dad & I went to see them play every week. I think it cost like £2 for me :D It's good to go to football matches, but nothing beats my first game at Ibrox. I've some great memories of days/nights there with my dad. He's getting a bit too frail for traipsing to matches with us now. Doesn't stop him jumping to his feet calling the ref a bastard at home mind :D

My dad's a toffee at heart. He grew up in Liverpool (he's Welsh by birth). He's loads of old programmes from games. His brother is a 'pud' so they used to have some rare arguments haha. Anyway, point being, I think you can go along and support a local team, especially if you can't get to the team you love.

The support your local team mantra is most associated with Cosgrove, years of spouting such pysh on BBC Radio Scotland. The continuous drone of lament about the number of Rangers Supporters buses leaving Perth every week, harmonises with the gleeful reporting of only 11 Bears trapping for the Perth True Blues AGM. Fair enough, if you believe Big Stu' to be a man of principle?

Last year, his beloved St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup, he is pictured cavorting around with his then 3 year old son. Lovely, his son is fully decked in Saints favours; however Big Stu lives in the East End of Glasgow, has done for two decades. His son should support his local team, ra Sellik!

The support your local team mantra is most associated with Cosgrove, years of spouting such pysh on BBC Radio Scotland. The continuous drone of lament about the number of Rangers Supporters buses leaving Perth every week, harmonises with the gleeful reporting of only 11 Bears trapping for the Perth True Blues AGM. Fair enough, if you believe Big Stu' to be a man of principle?

Last year, his beloved St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup, he is pictured cavorting around with his then 3 year old son. Lovely, his son is fully decked in Saints favours; however Big Stu lives in the East End of Glasgow, has done for two decades. His son should support his local team, ra Sellik!

To be fair they're probably his second team.

Nice preview and an enjoyable angle to take. I've always felt Livingston were a plastic side, stolen from Meadowbank Thistle and artificially created in West Lothian. It's interesting to read of second generation of their support now, for whom they're as legitimate a side as any other.