Rangers close in on the capture of veteran midfielder John Eustace

Rangers close in on the capture of veteran midfielder John Eustace as he nears recovery from knee injury

09:43, 12 September 2015

By Keith Jackson

THE 35-year-old midfield general has been training at Ibrox and looks set to join on a free transfer.

Craig Williamson/SNS Group

John Eustace is still likely to sign

MARK WARBURTON expects to finally complete the signing of veteran John Eustace in the next fortnight.

Record Sport first revealed back in June that Warburton had identified the former Derby midfielder as his key summer signing.

And the 35-year-old has spent the last month at Murray Park as he attempts to recover from the knee injury that has kept him sidelined since the turn of the year.

But now Eustace is on the verge of putting pen to paper on a Rangers contract.

Warburton said: “John wants to be a fit player who can impact for Rangers.

“I know the role he can have and right now he is contributing magnificently.

“If you ask Andy Halliday or Jason Holt or Tom Walsh or Barrie McKay, he is talking to them every day and imparting his experience. He wants to get himself fit.

“I can’t speak highly enough of John as a character. He is a top pro, a top character off the pitch and wants to do the right thing and show the club what he can do. He is desperate to get himself fit and I hope very much we can see a fit John Eustace.

“We worked him hard and he had a small reaction so we need to make sure the pace isn’t too quick but at the same time set a realistic target for him.

“He’s had other offers and choices to go elsewhere. But, like all the players, he came here and saw the stadium and Murray Park.

“In my mind it is a Champions League training ground. John knows that.

“He was blown away the first time he saw it. He has played for big clubs – Stoke City, Watford, Derby County – so he is used to big clubs.

“He wants to have a role here. He enjoys it, he gets on well with the group and they respect him. He wants to make sure he can contribute.

“Hopefully it will be done in the next two weeks.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-close-capture-veteran-midfielder-6428789

Will he won't he? Answers on a postcard to......

As I've said before, I don't see the point in this, particularly given the flying start we have made to the season. We will run away with the league and most likely make a serious challenge for the cups. I would only be signing players in their mid 30's if they're of a certain pedigree, like Caniggia, and still have a lot of value to bring to the team. That said, I completely trust the manager's judgement, and will bring a wealth of experience to a young team.

I cannot see any value in such a signing there is no obvious short or long term benefit.

Who would he replace, Holt would appear to be the only candidate although it would more obvioulsy be Halliday's position?

We are playing fast attractive football, why sign a player who isn’t too quick even if that comment was meant more in a fitness sense.

We should sign him because of several factors , the managers want him for what he can bring and for all we know has brought off the pitch to the younger players , the manager believes he can do a job on the pitch , and in Warburton I trust , end off for me

Warburton obviously likes him as this is a long standing transfer. If he can come in and bring experience to the young crop that is there then its a good move. There is going to be a lot of games over the winter where he would probably be an asset for.