Rangers close in on the capture of veteran midfielder John Eustace

I cannot see any value in such a signing there is no obvious short or long term benefit.

Who would he replace, Holt would appear to be the only candidate although it would more obvioulsy be Halliday's position?

We are playing fast attractive football, why sign a player who isn’t too quick even if that comment was meant more in a fitness sense.

We had older and probably equally "fast" players in a more "important" role playing for us in title-winning teams, as well as in Europe. The prime example that springs to mind is our assistant manager. Eustace would sure bring more stability to our defense and defensive midfield in times of need. He does not need to be "that quick", if he gets into the right areas and positions.

We had older and probably equally "fast" players in a more "important" role playing for us in title-winning teams, as well as in Europe. The prime example that springs to mind is our assistant manager. Eustace would sure bring more stability to our defense and defensive midfield in times of need. He does not need to be "that quick", if he gets into the right areas and positions.

He isn't a defender though

He isn't a defender though

He is a defensive, central midfielder. His job is to break up play and give the two CHs some additional cover. Not least when our fullbacks are essentially wingbacks-come-wingers, which requires that the CHs at this moment and time are drawn to the sidelines to cover that area on occasion. Both are young and quick enough, so a CM who is not that quick can cover any open areas in the middle. In theory.

I think he'd be an excellent signing. Yes, he may not play every week but he'll provide cover for the deeper role and his experience could prove invaluable if (or when) the younger lads (not to mention the more mentally fragile older ones) lose form.

For the folk saying "we don't need him" etc let me ask you this ...... If Halliday took a bad injury today who would play in that role?

** awaits the shoe horning replies.

Ball is known to have played in that role and Shiels has also played the deeper role before but as you say it is shoe horning and not their natural position. Although it is not Hallidays natural position either.

For the folk saying "we don't need him" etc let me ask you this ...... If Halliday took a bad injury today who would play in that role?

** awaits the shoe horning replies.

Murdoch, plenty of first team experience last season, probably more games than Halliday; assuming his loan could be cancelled, which I am not sure about.

Murdoch, plenty of first team experience last season, probably more games than Halliday; assuming his loan could be cancelled, which I am not sure about.

I'm not a fan of Murdoch, just an ok player but for me doesn't influence a game enough.