The napper...

Good point.

It's amazing we've not had one yet but I guess that's testament to the way we're playing the game. Even when we have free kicks and corners, we tend to take them short and avoid aimless balls into the box.

Got to imagine Waghorn or Miller will head one in soon though.

Should we be bragging that we haven't scored a header yet? I don't see what the achievement is. A headed goal from a corner is just as good and important as a 30 pass team goal.

I'd prefer if we worked on our corners into the box rather than the short ones we seem to persist with right now.

Should we be bragging that we haven't scored a header yet? I don't see what the achievement is. A headed goal from a corner is just as good and important as a 30 pass team goal.

I'd prefer if we worked on our corners into the box rather than the short ones we seem to persist with right now.

I've a book in the house written by a couple of professional American sport statisticians who analysed professional football. I found it fairly hard going to be honest but one of their insights was how ineffective corners are. They analysed literally thousands of them and their discovery was that you're far more likely to score from open play than from a corner set piece and that all corners should be taken short and used as a way to start a possession based move and not lobbed into the box looking for a header.

It's all part of that 'moneyball' philosophy that's currently in vogue.

I think our first one will come from Wilson. He has had a couple of half decent chances and just hasn't put one away yet.

Do we have much of an aerial threat ? Only Kiernan, Wilson & Oduwa look fairly tall to me, could be wrong. Oduwa doesnt look like he is physical enough to want to challenge for a header. Waghorn doesn't look like the header type and doesn't look that big, whilst McKay isn't likely to win a header in the box either.

I don't mind us not throwing the ball into the box. Throwing the ball into the box, to me, often looks like a team without creative ideas. I prefer we work it in - putting the ball in the box if a hit and miss, whereas short corners start to pull opponents away from a crowded, congested box. I prefer it our current way of working it in.

Wallace's goal last weekend was testament to that, was it not ? A free kick just outside the box, everyone expected a shot on goal and the ball was played to the edge of the box, dropped back to Wallace who then bulleted one in. Or was I dreaming that was how it happened ?