Eustace Close To Becoming A Player

MW has done so much, so well but this Eustace business is becoming somewhat embarrassing.

Dont see why , no one is losing anything and Euastace certainly isnt cheating us out of anything , whats the problem

MW has done so much, so well but this Eustace business is becoming somewhat embarrassing.

I would say the opposite. Embarrassing is when we sign an injured player who subsequently never plays, or we pass on one and he plays fantastically for someone else. Seems we want him, but only if he's fit. I would guess we might be currently paying him a nominal wage on a casual basis while he gets himself fit and/or shakes off an injury, with his duties being to help with coaching and mentoring.

Seems to me that we're doing the right thing for a change. The guy wants to sign, we want him, and as he's out of contract, there's no hurry.

As for his level of speed, is this observed or presumed? Linford Christie won his 100m gold medal at age 36. More recently Chris Hoy won a gold medal at 36 also. They may be exceptions but they show what is possible, and we're not exactly looking for Eustice to be the fastest in the world.

However, I think there is an underestimation of the value of experience - especially that of an older player who demonstrates he's above average for football intelligence.

I would say the opposite. Embarrassing is when we sign an injured player who subsequently never plays, or we pass on one and he plays fantastically for someone else. Seems we want him, but only if he's fit. I would guess we might be currently paying him a nominal wage on a casual basis while he gets himself fit and/or shakes off an injury, with his duties being to help with coaching and mentoring.

Seems to me that we're doing the right thing for a change. The guy wants to sign, we want him, and as he's out of contract, there's no hurry.

As for his level of speed, is this observed or presumed? Linford Christie won his 100m gold medal at age 36. More recently Chris Hoy won a gold medal at 36 also. They may be exceptions but they show what is possible, and we're not exactly looking for Eustice to be the fastest in the world.

However, I think there is an underestimation of the value of experience - especially that of an older player who demonstrates he's above average for football intelligence.

Just feel that we are taking too long to assess his fitness. If we don't know if the guy is fit enough by this time, it seems surprising. MW said a couple of weeks back, a decision would be made soon. If people see it differently, fine, but I guess the strength of this type of forum, is the representation of different views.

Just feel that we are taking too long to assess his fitness. If we don't know if the guy is fit enough by this time, it seems surprising. MW said a couple of weeks back, a decision would be made soon. If people see it differently, fine, but I guess the strength of this type of forum, is the representation of different views.

Yep, possibly exemplified by finding myself both agreeing with you and those who argued with your observation. Despite agreeing with many of their points I do feel it has become a bit embarrassingly stretched out with the same answer trotted out to the interview questions. But that's part of the point, if it weren't for the weekly question and answer and this was all just going in unmentioned, it'd not seem embarrassing.

The way I see it is that MW sees him as a player worth waiting for, given that its a very long season and we are only a quarter of the way through, without even counting on the Scottish Cup. Why risk him at the moment when we are running away with the league? Injuries and the winter months will take their toll and come the turn of the year he will be like a new signing coming in to steady the ship and steer it home. I'm really looking forward to seeing him once he gets going, albeit it may only be for a season and a half.