In the world of Scottish football a celebration of Back to the Future Day was more akin to a re-visit of a fairly dark and dismal past. Without doubt much of the focus today will centre round the comments of Mark Burchill on Radio Clyde last night, which were rightly condemned by the Rangers Supporters Trust. To base a “plea of mitigation” around the respective nationalities of both offender and victim was never, ever, going to end well.

But Burchill’s inappropriate comments must not be allowed to dominate or overshadow this debate. The real issue at hand is the brutal treatment being dished out on a regular basis to Nathan Oduwa, which as we have all witnessed this season, was not confined to Tuesday night’s game. In this respect the comments of Berwick Rangers player Andy Russell provide a more valuable insight into the mind set at work.

CR0TMHkUcAAXoRF.jpg

One is left to ponder what is “fair” about the sort of tackle which has the potential to end a playing career. Furthermore, is the expression of flair on the pitch the equivalent of “acting the big man and playing the clown” ? Should we expect any player performing a nutmeg, exciting or entertaining the crowd during the course of 90 minutes to receive the kind of “summary justice” Russell alludes to in that tweet ? Heaven help us.

For a country which once cherished the tanner ba player it is perhaps indicative of the state of our national game that there has been so much fuss about a player arriving on the scene who has the “audacity” to serve up some flair and skill during his 90 minute outing. BBC Scotland even managed to break its self-imposed sabbatical on reporting all things Rangers with an online article as to whether the rainbow flick displayed by Oduwa against Alloa was a “Flick too far”. And not an Operation Market Garden in sight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/33958315

This is the same Scotland which revelled, and still revels to this day at Baxter’s game of keepie-uppie at Wembley in 1967. Perhaps it’s the shade of blue on the shirt which determines whether the expression of outrageous skill is appropriate. And perhaps it’s the shade of blue on the shirt and erroneous allegations of favourable refereeing decisions which prompted Andrew Dallas to keep his cards in his pocket on Tuesday night.

One thing which is certain however that is the brutal treatment being dished out to Nathan Oduwa can no longer be allowed to go unpunished and it’s up to Scotland referees to do their duty without fear or favour.

Scotland’s reaction to the flair of Nathan Oduwa is worthy of a bookmark. One we can visit when we are doing nothing else during the Euros.

Edited by D'Artagnan

It really disappoints me when people defend tackles like the other night.

It was dreadful and should have been a red card - malicious intent or not. Add in the rest of his team's behaviour then Burchill just showed how 'clumsy' he also is by appearing on national radio the next day to defend it.

Is Burchill a racist? Nah, he's just stupid. But that just makes us ask why he's suitable as a manager.

His comments would suggest that he is a racist, if he considers people's nationalities relevant.

You may be right but as much as I may not be afforded the same opinion by Scottish law, I prefer to give folk the benefit of the doubt.

Listening to him now and again, he just seems to struggle to be coherent so I tend to pity him than anything else. Imagine having him as a manager? :D

It really disappoints me when people defend tackles like the other night.

It was dreadful and should have been a red card - malicious intent or not. Add in the rest of his team's behaviour then Burchill just showed how 'clumsy' he also is by appearing on national radio the next day to defend it.

Is Burchill a racist? Nah, he's just stupid. But that just makes us ask why he's suitable as a manager.

I included this reaction from BBC Radio Scotland on the original thread. I put on my radio at half time to get the Falkirk/Hibs score and heard Kenny McIntyre reading e-mails/tweets from Rangers supporters watching the game live on BBC Alba. They were using the word, "cowards" to describe the complete lack of reaction from both Chick Young and Derek Ferguson covering the game. Needless to say, Ferguson explained that the tackle occurred early in the game, it was on the far side, and looked innocuous. Chico was strident, "Spurs have sent him up here to toughen up and at half time, he's been found wanting".

Both TV evidence and of their own eyes are NOT the required narrative at BBC Scotland.

I think Frankie's right, we've got to remember he's a footballer, he's not a cultured fella and he's not the th brain of Britain. I tend to think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. he's probably told his players to be rough and disrupt our flow of play. I don't think he would say to his players "!try and break his ankle that way you'll get sent off and there one threat will be eliminated" he was probably quite shocked himself but he's then put in that position where he must defend his player because that's what managers do, they try and protect their team. ferguson does it wenger "I didn't see the challenge" does it" its just one of those things.

Also we've had a fair few of our players in the past who have put the boot in. Hurlock on fulton, Cleland on Del Piero (off the top of my head). I cant remember being wild condemnation from our supporters to drive them out of the club.

I think Frankie's right, we've got to remember he's a footballer, he's not a cultured fella and he's not the th brain of Britain. I tend to think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. he's probably told his players to be rough and disrupt our flow of play. I don't think he would say to his players "!try and break his ankle that way you'll get sent off and there one threat will be eliminated" he was probably quite shocked himself but he's then put in that position where he must defend his player because that's what managers do, they try and protect their team. ferguson does it wenger "I didn't see the challenge" does it" its just one of those things.

Also we've had a fair few of our players in the past who have put the boot in. Hurlock on fulton, Cleland on Del Piero (off the top of my head). I cant remember being wild condemnation from our supporters to drive them out of the club.

Perhaps indicative Dragosani that you had to go back almost quarter of a century to cite a few of our players who were less than angels. You could add Souness to that list with the caveat that he received a red in his first game against Hibs. Id be surprised if anyone would suggest what was acceptable 25 years ago or so would be tolerated today.

As I said in the OP the focus should not be on Burchill & his comments but on the regular brutal tackles Oduwa is forced to endure - with the perception amongst even some fellow pros that such treatment is entirely justified because he has the temerity to display flair on the park.

My issue is not with the idiot of a Livi manager but that Dallas was only 10 feet away in perfect view and should have taken disciplinary action and when booking the player for a second offence he would have got his just desserts.

Am pee-d off at standard of refs in Scotland.

Not sure if I agree with that as sometimes our players are reasonably innocent and own our fans still get stuck into them - Novo's "stamping" incident, that looked like it was totally unintentional, Mohsni and his pretty normal reaction to being physically assaulted after the game - he was ostracised by the club and his contract not renewed. Plenty have been slated who have deserved it, and Black was never popular.

I also don't think you'd see Warburton defending that kind of tackle - he would probably be talking about having words with the player. Same goes for Smith and McCoist.

Hurlock was under Souness who was very guilty of this kind of stuff, I agree. And I don't remember us getting upset at Del Piero's drag back; it was highly applauded, even though it embarrassed Clelland.