Baxter and McMillan didn't get kicked much.

Two reasons. One, they were helluva hard to get at. Two, Harry Davis was riding shotgun.

I admire Warburton's philsophy. I have no qualifications to argue with his team selections but it is useful to have a tough guy around. A proper tough guy. Not a headcase.

Baxter got his leg broken against Vienna Rapid I think. Baxter was in great form and taking the piss a bit when one of the Rapid players lost the plot, jumped in and broke Baxter's leg. After Pele got carried off at the 1966 World Cup Fifa decided that players like him did need protection and instructed referees to punish players who set out to maim opposition threats.

The SFA needs to make sure that it's officials protects footballers from the hammerthrowers and thereby encourages managers to use/develop footballers and not hammerthrowers.

It will partly address a longterm and much debated problem (groundhog/annual discussion on what can we do with Scottish fitbaw) and it won't cost anything other than using the usual channels of communication and it entails nothing other than fully implementing the rules of the game within the full 90 minutes (first whistle until last).

ps. and it needs the Compliance Officer to act on all issues that arise rather than pick and choose what he fancies, eg. Hugo Faria (Baldy of Livingston) should be offered a 6 match suspension for an offence that if caught doing on the street, he'd be up on a criminal charge.

Edited by buster.

It does seem that we need to drop this "manly game" attitude if we're ever going to progress in football. Ironically we (Queens Park) invented the passing game and the heading game and were at the forefront of football innovation for decades. Through the decades, we lauded the great dribblers and skilful players, many of whom were diminutive and not fitting into the modern "big hard man" type of player we seem to prefer now.

The nearest we have now is our English loanee.

We've had a dearth of exciting players in the decades where we have not qualified for any finals, and perhaps the most enduring memory which gives rise to that is of the horror tackle on Ian Durrant.

Seems to me that to improve our game we need to get soft by coming down hard on the hammer throwers in the game. We should be more strict than anywhere on dangerous tackles and outright assault. We need to show, in they drunk driving or casual racism is now, that it's just not acceptable and serial offenders driven out of the game.

If that makes us soft in Europe and Internationally, what would the difference be in our results? These days, I'd rather see a very skilful team lose by being kicked off the park and lose, than have a bunch of hard men who are completely played off the park by far more skilful, but lowly football nations, never mind the big teams.

I once watched an Okocha training video, and what the kids were demonstrating at the school he was showing, was amazing - and reminds me of Oduwa. It makes me think, why don't we see our kids doing that? That's what we should be teaching - as well as how to defend and tackle well, without threaten to end someone's career.

It does seem that we need to drop this "manly game" attitude if we're ever going to progress in football.

Scottish football........................ the Land that Time Forgot

- Come to mention it the World Cup and the European Championships have forgotten aswell.

- Couldn't get into the top 28 of Europe (24+4 losing play off teams) and with little young talent to speak of

- Currently 25th in the co-efficient club table and steadily sinking

But get feckin intaethem and ask the ref to go easy, it's the way to go...................:ost:

Pointless comparisons with the 60's and 70's. It's a different game now.

I think our game against Livi sums up exactly what's wrong with our game and why we can't compete on a European or World stage

Completely correct Colin. I watched and played in the 60's. The game has been totally transformed since those days - imo for the worse. I see players now who on a regular basis should be carrying Equity cards. So many rules have been introduced banning physical contact that it has become so easy for cheats to gain advantages. I am not proposing going back to the "mans game" we used to have, I'm saying that if the authorities want to ruin a physical sport by bringing in rules against foul play they should robustly enforce those laws and also retrospectively punish those who cheat by diving. Players who raise their arms to claim corners or throw-ins when a blind man could see they are attempting to gain an advantage by cheating should also be punished. It's nothing more than sleekit behaviour and I can't stand that.

Always remember the old story from the 60s when Tommy gemmell was kicking lumps out wee Willie when gemmell bent over to Willie lying on the gound pointing his finger at him and the crowd were baying for gemmells blood what he was really saying was ' are you coming for a pint tonight lol the old firm players then drank together...

Pointless comparisons with the 60's and 70's. It's a different game now.

I think our game against Livi sums up exactly what's wrong with our game and why we can't compete on a European or World stage

Finance has a lot to do with it but it doesn't answer why eg. Sweden, Norway and Denmark are all in the Euro play-offs or why those three countries are all above Scotland in the co-efficient table when back in the 60's & 70's Scottish teams would routinely go and beat their club sides.

From 2000 during which Scotland haven't been to a major final:-

- Sweden have reached 6

population: 9.5M

WC best: Runners-up (x1) and 3rd place (x2)

Euros best: Semi-final

- Denmark 5

population: 5.6M

WC best: Quarter-Finals

Euros best: Winners

- Norway 1

population: 5.1M

WC best: Round of 16........ (guess who finished below them in group with 1 point)

Euros best: Group Stage

-Scotland 0

population: 5.3M

WC best: Group Stage

Euros best: Group Stage

Now the those Scandinavian Leagues haven't got stacks of cash, nor are their winters kinder.

Note that 'WC/Euros best' reflects the full history of the competitions.

------------------------------------------------------------------

edit.

Found a much more comprehensive document regards comparisons which is on the STV website.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/1331176-the-real-state-of-the-scottish-game-how-our-top-flight-compares-to-europe/

Edited by buster.

This is true. The ref bottled it! the game is seconds old and he's probably thought "its too early to book someone"!

I think you are correct and I tried to answer this from the perspective of a former referee (me) at#120 in the match thread

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?73535-Petrofac-Cup-1-4-Final-Rangers-1-0-Livingston-%28Clark-75%29&p=591767#post591767

I have had a reply from the SFA and will post on the match thread as soon as I get through here.

Edited by BrahimHemdani