Court of Session rules in favour of HMRC + Rangers Issue Statement

Personally I hope this isn't appealed and that's it now over. There is no 'winning' on this, even if the case had gone against HMRC again we still lost. Our playing squad was shredded, our reputation trashed globally and our club destroyed. We suffered Craig Whyte, Charles Green and Mike Ashley, he's still not gone away and the other two are still capable of inflicting damage on us. We published figures today showing we lost over £7 million last year, we lost even more the year before that. We lost guys, whatever those judges said this morning we bloody lost.

Aside from the sheer bloody hurt those EBTs have been responsible for they are an immoral affront to decency, legal or otherwise. Why shouldn't millionaire footballers pay more income tax? Why aren't we cursing the greed culture that clearly permeated at our club at the time and ultimately brought it down and why aren't we doing everything we can to make sure it never infects our club again? Whether they were technically legal or specifically used in accordance with proper guidelines it doesn't matter now, the damage is done and can't be reversed.

We can expend a lot of energy discussing this or we can accept that there's nothing we can do about it anyway. Does it give some people an opportunity to go looking for a pound of flesh and others the chance to pontificate about financial doping and so on, hell yeah. So what? It's done and can't be undone.

It's time to look forward again, not back. We survived after all, they threw everything they could find at us and we survived. We fought with each other and we survived. We were raped and pillaged from within, often with the tacit and unquestioning support of a lot of the fanbase, but we survived.

We've a team again who are at last worthy of our jersey, we've a manager who inspires us and excites us, all of our energies should be going into building a future, a future a rich shareholder would like to further disrupt. We've other more important battles to fight now, this one has past and we lost it, big time. Accept that, learn from it and move forward again. Let them come for our trophies, let them call us cheats, it'll pass and I'm not persuaded their's an appetite for it at any level above internet moron or failing columnist.

Let's not lose site of what is actually important today.

It's an exciting time to be a bear again, let's focus on that.

John,

If you think others will allow us to look or move forward, then with all due respect you are extremely naive.

John' date='

If you think others will allow us to look or move forward, then with all due respect you are extremely naive.[/quote']

We spend far too much time worrying what others think.

When I was involved in Amateur football I used to try to school the guys in the philosophy that what really matters is that we put the ball in the back of their net more often than they put it in ours. What happens in between really doesn't matter all that match, it's the results that are recorded in the history books.

The history books will continue to show the trophies we won fair and square on the football pitch, credit Jackie McNamara for a footballer's view of that. The Nimmo verdict was that we did not gain an unfair sporting advantage and that will stand as well.

We all know we took advantage of an apparent loophole in the law that many others (including Celtic on a much more limited scale) used at the time and we all know the ultimate cost to our Club.

I could be wrong but I very much doubt if there will be an appetite in the SFA/SPL to go over old ground again.

I agree with JohnMc's well argued post; it's time to move on.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

When I was involved in Amateur football I used to try to school the guys in the philosophy that what really matters is that we put the ball in the back of their net more often than they put it in ours. What happens in between really doesn't matter all that match, it's the results that are recorded in the history books.

The history books will continue to show the trophies we won fair and square on the football pitch, credit Jackie McNamara for a footballer's view of that. The Nimmo verdict was that we did not gain an unfair sporting advantage and that will stand as well.

We all know we took advantage of an apparent loophole in the law that many others (including Celtic on a much more limited scale) used at the time and we all know the ultimate cost to our Club.

I could be wrong but I very much doubt if there will be an appetite in the SFA/SPL to go over old ground again.

We will not be allowed to move on. Our enemies will see to that.

That is why today's bizarre judgement must be appealed at the Supreme Court.

FWIW I was watching television earlier & a tax lawyer said this was the only EBT case HMRC had won. Interesting.

Personally I hope this isn't appealed and that's it now over. There is no 'winning' on this, even if the case had gone against HMRC again we still lost. Our playing squad was shredded, our reputation trashed globally and our club destroyed. We suffered Craig Whyte, Charles Green and Mike Ashley, he's still not gone away and the other two are still capable of inflicting damage on us. We published figures today showing we lost over £7 million last year, we lost even more the year before that. We lost guys, whatever those judges said this morning we bloody lost.

Aside from the sheer bloody hurt those EBTs have been responsible for they are an immoral affront to decency, legal or otherwise. Why shouldn't millionaire footballers pay more income tax? Why aren't we cursing the greed culture that clearly permeated at our club at the time and ultimately brought it down and why aren't we doing everything we can to make sure it never infects our club again? Whether they were technically legal or specifically used in accordance with proper guidelines it doesn't matter now, the damage is done and can't be reversed.

We can expend a lot of energy discussing this or we can accept that there's nothing we can do about it anyway. Does it give some people an opportunity to go looking for a pound of flesh and others the chance to pontificate about financial doping and so on, hell yeah. So what? It's done and can't be undone.

It's time to look forward again, not back. We survived after all, they threw everything they could find at us and we survived. We fought with each other and we survived. We were raped and pillaged from within, often with the tacit and unquestioning support of a lot of the fanbase, but we survived.

We've a team again who are at last worthy of our jersey, we've a manager who inspires us and excites us, all of our energies should be going into building a future, a future a rich shareholder would like to further disrupt. We've other more important battles to fight now, this one has past and we lost it, big time. Accept that, learn from it and move forward again. Let them come for our trophies, let them call us cheats, it'll pass and I'm not persuaded their's an appetite for it at any level above internet moron or failing columnist.

Understand and for the most part agree with what you've expressed with the exception that I think this case as went so far down the road that we may as well stay on till we arrive at the terminus.

No one likes us we don't care?

There is an online war going on, which imo we are losing, so I do care what others think.

I have to say I totally disagree with what you posted there BH. Whether some good fairy continues to fund the fight against the proceedings remains to be seen but " it's time to move on " is just not going to happen. Not if you have followed general media and online coverage and comment since the announcement was made earlier today, it won't. The more militant obsessed bloggers have been pushing for the SPL and SFA hierarchy to be removed due to their granting us a licence since day one. Their behaviour today shows that moving on will be a one way thing for your good self and nobody else.

Just to clear this up, and given previous info about those actually being at court, ...

But today's ruling does not mean the so-called big tax case is over as Murray International Holdings could well choose to take a final appeal to the UK Supreme Court.

... is not exactly true, as it would first and foremost BDO taking this on on behalf of OldCo (, supported by a third party backer)?

If true, you would hope that there will be enough support from the Bears - whomever this third party may be - to fund this and let BDO know (soonish) that we are willing to go that way.

Yeah, we know that a 'dignified silence' works, eh?