Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

disagree a players value in general does not guarantee ability. £2m players are going to be better than freebies who cannot hold down positions at their team. A good player who would normally be £2m can of course be had for free if his contract runs out but that is not what we are doing or the way we are shopping.

We are not snapping up players who have an aura of success around them or a value that is estimated above their current standing. We are taking players who's performances have set their value as low not circumstance with the belief we can improve them. A different thing than snapping up a player who was wrongly valued due to contract status or a falling out with manager etc

as for how does it create new layers of players- if you take the market we are shopping right now ( england, lower leagues, free - <200k) that is a set number of players at any given time. You take those same parameters but extend them to include the rest of europe you create a bigger pool of players and with it increase the percentage of hidden gems per diddy per position. Instead of having 3 available left mids rated as 6 out of 10 you have 10 available laft mids rated at 6 out of 10. That way you don't get the first second or third choice you don't need to drop down to a slightly lower rated player (obviously working in averages cant account for the one off once in a lifetime scenarios)

trublu, we aren't in the 2 million pound price range though. We aren't even close to that price range. So, is the quality of a 500k player all that much higher than a freebie ? You also make it sound like it is all about the price, which we know not to be the case. We have seen players, using Torres as an example, that have set the heather alight in one team only to go onto another team and look like a pub player. Or even Jackson Martinez who has flopped since a high value transfer to Atletico. Sometimes it is the formation, tactics, personnel or even club atmosphere which determines how good a player can be, not how much they cost. There are multiple examples of players who have transfer fees who have flopped, whilst other players in the SAME team have been freebies and excelled.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph I think that players such as Waghorn, Halliday, Holt and Foderingham are proving your statement to be too simplistic in nature. These players weren't getting games, were let go for a pittance, and yet have, mostly, been excellent for us. Tavernier, even, whilst losing a bit of form lately was being lauded as the "Blue Cafu" given his early season performances - another player who would fit your "players who's performances have set their value low". Are they good enough to win the SPFL ? Perhaps not, but they are all young and have a lot of development in them. Gone are the days we spend 5 million on a player and don't expect to see a penny of it back..... Warburton is all about value, and I see no reason to take issue with that. We are a selling team, as are all teams in Scotland. Look at some of Celtic's best signings of recent years - they have been players they have picked up on the cheap and sold high - whilst they have had some high priced signings who have flopped.

Price absolutely does not guarantee you success. It also doesn't guarantee that the player, regardless of ability, will fit into the club, personnel, training methods, formation, tactics, or even the surrounding environment (West of Scotland).

Your final paragraph - we signed the young Dutch lad, we have had the Skonto Riga player on trial and unless mistaken we have also had others on trial (I know we had a Scandinavian lad on trial a couple of months ago too) so it isn't as if we have pigeon-holed ourselves at looking at only the English lower leagues - it is simply that this is the market Warburton knows best. He is still looking at other leaques as can be seen by the players that have been here on trial. You don't need to sign players from certain leagues to increase layers of players. You should, however, have scouts that cover the majority of Europe.

Probably why he only gave him 6 months! :smokin::P

Quite possibly. And that's fine too because it is a "no harm, no foul" situation. Low wages, adds a body to the thin playing personnel numbers and he has worked with him before.

Partly why I don't see it being an issue in taking a punt on the lad. Low wages, no fee, short-term. No biggie if it doesn't work out :thup:

Why would the days of signing £2m players be over? Celtic manage it. Once back in europe our aim must be to return our income streams back to historic numbers. When that is achieved there should be no reason why we cant buy at that price and still see a return on the purchase and it also fit in with our budgets

Selling players on for a profit is to do with how their ability can be shown on a stage that is recognised, mainly europe/old firm games for us, placing them in a window that opens up new markets. Buying players for a pittance doesn't mean you will make returns if they fail to perform on the bigger stage. Personally dont think these players will be good enough to achieve european football, personally I want to see a couple of signings january just to ensure we can win the championship with a bit of ease

As said time and again its not just about price. We are not just buying cheap. We are buying players who are cheap and also not performing for their respective teams in low level leagues.

It looks to me like Warburton thinks league one/championship players who play for average teams down there and cant hold down a position are of the level suitable for us. I think he is wrong, if that is indead his thinking

disagree the signings have been excellent. The performances have been poor longer than they have been excellent. We started strong for 2 months then have struggled against poor sides the last three months. Fitness has helped us in a lot of games. Nobody is shining in a very poor league. They should be head and shoulders above the likes of morton and dumbarton even hibs players

Why would the days of signing £2m players be over? Celtic manage it. Once back in europe our aim must be to return our income streams back to historic numbers. When that is achieved there should be no reason why we cant buy at that price and still see a return on the purchase and it also fit in with our budgets

Who said they were over ? Nobody said they were over. I said we aren't even close to signing people in that price range, and we aren't. Our revenues are drastically lower than they were 3 years ago and we have also lost valuable income streams in the merchandising contracts with SD. The rest of this paragraph is irrelevant as you are talking about the "days of signing 2 million pound players are over" when that isn't something I said. I thought we were discussing the here and now, the present time - especially as your original comments were about signing lower league English players. In 2 or 3 years time ALL of us would hope we are signing 2 or 3 million pound players (IF they are within the budget and we are still operating within our means). But 2 years from now is somewhat irrelevant to the current situation.

Selling players on for a profit is to do with how their ability can be shown on a stage that is recognised, mainly europe/old firm games for us, placing them in a window that opens up new markets. Buying players for a pittance doesn't mean you will make returns if they fail to perform on the bigger stage. Personally dont think these players will be good enough to achieve european football, personally I want to see a couple of signings january just to ensure we can win the championship with a bit of ease

Nobody said anything against this either. But the alternate can also be said. Tore Andre Flo was signed for 14 million quid having played in the EPL and then played in Europe for us, we took a bath when selling him on. They are in the window but they don't always work out. Likewise until such time as our players have had even the opportunity to perform at a higher level (SPFL) then we should reserve judgement. Will any of them be good enough ? We simply don't know at this point. I think we all would like to see signings in January that improve the quality - but again I refer you to my earlier post about WHY this may be difficult to do given we are in the 2nd tier in a footballing backwater.

As said time and again its not just about price. We are not just buying cheap. We are buying players who are cheap and also not performing for their respective teams in low level leagues.

And as said time and again just because they are not performing for their respective teams in low level leagues doesn't mean that they cant perform for Rangers in Scotland's 2nd, or indeed top, tier. Again I refer you to where I mention formations, tactics, coaching, environment etc/

It looks to me like Warburton thinks league one/championship players who play for average teams down there and cant hold down a position are of the level suitable for us. I think he is wrong, if that is indead his thinking

I don't believe that is his thinking, but neither of us know for sure. But, just for the sake of it, tell me a couple of players that you think he should be going for - and how much they would cost ? We MUST operate within our means.

disagree the signings have been excellent. The performances have been poor longer than they have been excellent. We started strong for 2 months then have struggled against poor sides the last three months. Fitness has helped us in a lot of games. Nobody is shining in a very poor league. They should be head and shoulders above the likes of morton and dumbarton even hibs players

Yet they are still top of the league having made their nearest challengers look poor on the weekend. Our average age is something like 22 so inconsistency is bound to happen. They also have only been together for 5 months so there is most certainly room for improvement with the current crop of players, and hopefully with a couple of additions.

In all honesty it really does look like we are going round in circles now and your above post just seems, to me at least, to be regurgitating what you have previously said. So probably best that we agree to disagree :thup:

We are probably taking the thread off topic as well, to an extent

The win against Hibs restores my faith that Rangers can win the Championship with the present squad of players. As others have said we need to strengthen in the summer if we want to challenge in the top league.

I don't believe Kiernen is anywhere near being a premiership player. The strikers there will rip him apart. Look at all our goals against this season and I think Kiernan will have a hand in many of them.

A bit of gossip ...

Harry Forrester

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet but he's in Glasgow tonight to sign.

This info is from a mate of his.

In Glasgow today for talks with the club.

He has undergone a medical according to reports.

Exclusive: Rangers boss Mark Warburton set to sign Doncaster man Harry Forrester on a short-term deal

06:00, 30 Dec 2015

By Keith Jackson

RECORD SPORT understands the 24-year-old Forrester has travelled to Scotland to agree a deal with the manager who he worked under at Brentford.

MARK WARBURTON will make Doncaster man Harry Forrester his first signing of the January sales.

Record Sport understands the 24-year-old travelled to Glasgow last night to under go a medical and is expected to report to the club’s Murray Park training complex to put pen to paper on a short term deal.

The free agent has negotiated his own release from Doncaster in order to team up for a third time with former mentor Warburton.

The pair previously worked together at youth level with Watford before Forrester earned what seemed at the time to be a dream move to Aston Villa in 2010.

But the player failed to make the breakthrough in the Midlands before teaming up with Warburton again, this time at Brentford.

A source close to the deal confirmed: “Harry is a very talented lad who has lost his way a bit. It was a case of too much too young at Aston Villa.

“But Mark Warburton always expected very big things for him and clearly wants to give Harry another chance to prove himself in Glasgow. If he can get the best out of Harry then Rangers will have won a watch.”

It’s expected Forrester’s capture will be officially confirmed when the transfer window opens at the end of this week.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-rangers-boss-mark-warburton-7089396?

I agree the level he's playing at is underwhelming, but we shouldn't dismiss him at that. Warbs has done good business thus far. Forrester seems to be the type of player that will suit our game, and get the fans excited. I read on Wikipedia (Yes, I know...!) that he had a trial with Ajax a couple of years ago, scoring a hat-trick. Frank De Boer was impressed, but Forrester decided to go to Doncaster. Whether that's true or not that he 'turned down Ajax', it would seem he is an talented player. A 6-month contract to display what he can do is a shrewd move. If it doesn't work out, then nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Let's get real about this. If you had the choice Ajax or Doncaster Rovers, who would you sign for?

Let's get real about this. If you had the choice Ajax or Doncaster Rovers, who would you sign for?

So we are to dismiss his choice because it is something we ourselves wouldnt do, having known none of the facts as to why he chose not to move abroad?

Seems completely sensible after all no footballer has ever turned down a move to a large club abroad to stay with smaller teams in their home country, to be with family and friends.