Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

I really don't get all the fuss about not getting Diagouraga. We already have a player who can play his position(Dominic Ball) & have signed another on a pre-contract(Crooks)

My main concern is up front. We need to add a proven striker, even if it's on loan til the end of the season.

They are saying that Diagouraga is a viera type player Dominic ball is nowhere near a viera type player...

Edited by Bruno55

we know that nobody for these two positions that MW has obviously decided needs filling has came in in the time frame the manager wanted. We know that even though he stated two players would be in shortly nothing materialised. Personally I think MW is a shrewd guy and there is no chance he is daft enough to encourage the level of bids we have made with any real expectation they would be successful. He will cover for the board but i would put money on the fact he has made his feelings clear behind closed doors.

Pretty much every excuse under the sun has been brought out now to explain away what's happened, personally i don't get the fear of looking at ourselves and the way we operate. The needing to negotiate then go to the board for money which all takes time is a far more likely reason for us missing out on targets than 90% of the excuses being mentioned.

You see, turned on its head, one could claim that this is one of the first times an excuse has been found to have a go at Warburton, the club, King and the lack of money that might be apparent or the like. If the world was black & white. But it isn't and people should be old enough to refrain from such rather basic modes of debate.

I for one am very careful with the word "excuse", not least in surroundings where half a dozen variables are at work before a transfer does materialize. And after years in the ranks of football fans, you would hope that people know that. And while I am at it, has Warburton at any given time said that he has preferred areas of strengthening?

The protracted stuff regarding Eustace might be used as a pointer regarding a defensive midfielder early on, but right now we have at least three players who can play there - and one does so admirably. A second pointer might be our pursuit of Diagouraga. That we did not went over the top for him suggests that a) we don't want to spend over the odds, or b) that we didn't have the cash, or c) he is not as required as assumed. To name but a few points. Have we heard any whisper whatsoever with regard to Warburton chasing a striker? Bar some paper conjecture?

Regarding O'Halloran, Wright said post-match ...

Tommy Wright asserted that Michael O'Halloran will still be a St Johnstone player "in the morning", with Rangers "seriously interested".

No agreement has been reached and, as things stand, Wright is planning to play O'Halloran in next weekend's League Cup semi-final with Hibernian.

O'Halloran set up a goal as Saints lost 3-1 to Premiership leaders Celtic, who went six points clear at the top.

"The latest is that there has been no change," said Wright.

O'Halloran started on the right flank before moving up front in the second half. He did not play last week, after news of Rangers' interest broke, because Wright felt he was not in the right frame of mind.

There was enough about his game to create an equaliser at Celtic Park, though, for Steven MacLean.

"Michael's our player and we can't stop clubs asking a question about him," Wright told BBC Scotland. "He played because all week he's been excellent in training.

"When it emerged and really hit the press last week, it did have an effect on him. But he's in a good frame of mind.

"The chairman came down on the bus today and unless something's happened, Michael's still our player, so that's the only update I can give.

"I'm confident that he'll be our player in the morning. He's contracted to us for another 18 months.

"We do know that Rangers are seriously interested. There's a valuation and if that's met then he'll no longer be our player. I'll be preparing, come Monday, for him to be in the team for next week."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35393501?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If people care to read on, they will note that Tommy bemoans inaction by the referee for the Yahoos' 3rd goal, which should not have come to pass due to foul play.

Of course it has to match the other teams value! if it doesn't we will never reach agreement or secure our targets.

Why would anybody in their right mind only go after targets that are 2 to 3 times out with their price range! I honestly cant believe you think that is our transfer policy! Would love to hear that meeting where MW explains to the board he would like us to go after 2 players but only offer a third of their parent clubs value!

So you believe MW said to the board get me Diagouraga for £200k! Explain these valuations and how they could possibly belong in reality? There is no chance the reason we lost out on diagouraga is because MW thought he was only worth £200k and Ohalleron could be got for £150-£200k

What am I missing here ? Was it not widely suggested we offered 500k for Diagouraga.

I love your defiance in your position, doesn't mean it is accurate but there you go. Doesn't make it inaccurate either but the manner you present it as being factual is a bit OTT.

You continue to be disappointed at us not getting players in and I will continue to not be bothered at losing out on players such as Diagouraga.

The summer window will be far more important in my opinion. At Whig time we should be in the top flight again and should find it far easier to attract a better standard of player.

What am I missing here ? Was it not widely suggested we offered 500k for Diagouraga.

I love your defiance in your position, doesn't mean it is accurate but there you go. Doesn't make it inaccurate either but the manner you present it as being factual is a bit OTT.

You continue to be disappointed at us not getting players in and I will continue to not be bothered at losing out on players such as Diagouraga.

The summer window will be far more important in my opinion. At Whig time we should be in the top flight again and should find it far easier to attract a better standard of player.

I agree diagouraga is not of the standard i would hope for. My upset comes from the way we are missing players our manager wants and every deal we do seems to include delays and stupid low ball bids that in no way help our position. They do nothing but piss off the team we are buying from and giving an opening to any other interested party to nip in and steal the player.

For me this window is every bit as important as the next one. We need at least 8 players between the two windows. I don't think there is a hope in hell of us doing that kind of business next summer.Missing out on this window with have a knock on effect. That's also not to mention the fact this league is far from done yet. Without a couple of bodies in we are very short in my opinion and are going to need some luck with injuries to see us through. In my opinion if our current strategy of negotiating a price then raising the money continues we will see our targets go to other teams more often than not.

As for defiance I have seen nothing or heard no excuse that merits any level of defiance. None of the excuses have held any water when held up to the light. I certainly dont believe for a second MW expects to get Ohalleron or diagouraga for £200k a piece.