Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

We aren't trying to find the odd gem we are trying to build a full squad out of these players by the looks of it.

Do you think the management team are progressing?,in such a short space of time!,I do.

Edited by ian1964

how many of these diamonds have been found? Vardy cost £1m and was player of the year not an unwanted squad player. If we bring in ten of these players who are strugling to hold down first team places in league one/championship how many are you expecting to be better than the likes of the naismiths/lafferty of old? What kind of standard do you think we can expect from this recruitment policy on an average basis?

If we were spending £400k-£500k on a single player from different leagues around europe I would be happier as it opens up another layer of players available enlarging the pool and heightening the chances of finding gems but thats not what we have done so far.

You are only quoting from Vardy's transfer to Leicester when he was 25 yrs old. How about the teams he had previously been with and left. Why did he leave if he was merely going to other non-league teams ? He had spent his early twenties bouncing around the non-leagues. Was there a player in there ? Of course there was. Does that suggest that you can find diamonds anywhere ? I think so. Lafferty of old ? I wouldn't want Lafferty at the Club. As for Naismith of old, we need a serious reality check on where we are - players of Naismith's quality are unlikely to be coming to Ibrox anytime soon, though again you hope we can unearth one on the finances we have.

Spending 400-500k on a player from different leagues in Europe guarantee absolutely nothing. There is just as much chance they will be a bust as a freebie will be. Torres to Chelsea being a good example, or Falcao to anyone :D And I don't understand the premise that this would open up another layer of players - how does it do this ? Just because you sign someone it opens up player pool on players from that same league ? At 500k it seems an expensive gamble - why not just employ scouts on a fraction of the cost in that region of the world - you may get better players than your 500k player for free.....

Regardless, just because we are scouring the English market and being linked with players from there - to be fair very few of the ones we HAVE signed have been unsuccessful so far for us - doesn't mean we aren't looking elsewhere - look at some of the trialists we have had lately - they have hardly all been from England - we signed the young Dutch lad and we had the lad from Skonto Riga on trial too. So it isn't as if the ONLY scouting we are doing is in England.

The price of a player does not guarantee success but it does increase the chances massively and gives on average, under normal circumstances, a gauge of ability.

The price of a player absolutely doesn't guarantee success, as you rightly say. I don't think it increases the chances massively, particularly at the financial levels we will currently be operating at. We aren't in the market for 25 million pound players - we are in the <1 million market and that market is pretty much a hit and miss. We have had some absolute busts of signings for multiple millions of pounds whilst at the same time we have had some outstanding freebies and/or Bosmans (obviously vice versa applies here). How Besides, how much you pay doesn't necessarily tell you the quality you are getting, but more whether there is competition for players signatures.

So far we have spent £200k max on a player and used freebies. Sorry but i fail to see how success can be anything but a massive gamble with that philosophy. As we are seeing so far in the championship they have not been good enough to guarantee instant promotion. I would imagine we are cutting it closer than King and co would want.

Success is a massive gamble regardless of philosophy. In fact, it could be argued that success with a spending policy is even more of a gamble.... our woes of the last 3 years should be testament to that..... Of course we are cutting it closer than ANY of us want, but that doesn't mean they aren't good enough for promotion and I'm more than confident we will get the automatic promotion slot.

Guess it comes down to whether you think a team of unwanted low cost english league one players can make the basis for a team capable of winning the premiership and getting through euro qualifiers in the next 2-3 seasons. So far the signings are holding their own in the championship but are not creating a good enough nucleus to win the premier in my opinion. Personally don't think the best team in league one could win the Scottish premier never mind a squad of players deemed not good enough by their present managers

"Not a good enough nucleus to win the premier" - I would agree with that. However, what must be recognized is that we are in the 2nd tier in the backwater known as Scotland. Who, of high enough quality, would want to come to us right now, in January ? To be playing for 6 months in the 2nd tier ? I would like to think that Warburton will be purchasing players in January that offer the quality needed, but we also need to be mindful of our current position - we aren't even in the top flight in a country that people think is a joke footballing nation. I suspect that our signings to push for the league title in 2016/17 are more likely to be summer signings - once we are in the top flight it will be easier to attract players to come to us, especially as they will see the "fairytale" in being part of "Mission Complete".

No they shouldn't be romping it they should be challenging the other teams who have spent along with them. In your analogy leicester shouldn't have been fighting relegation last season and should be able to recreate their success year on year. They wont, the cream will rise to the top, one year of success does not make a map that should be followed.

Man u are 9 points off top of the table at the mid way point in one of the best leagues in the world. Doubt very much they will go with the philosophy of hunting for cheap gems this January to cut the gap. No they will spend and spend big no doubt which will bring them a higher chance of success.

Nobody wants the club to spend out with its ability.Would be happy if these players cost the same but had shown their worth by standing out in league one. Would be happy if these freebies were even from a bigger pool as already said. Shopping in such a small pool of players at low to nothing prices That have not previously showered themselves in glory is limiting the chance of finding gems not increasing our chances. We are not just picking up cheap players we are picking up cheap players that have failed so far then trying to polish them into diamonds. That's a completely different strategy than looking for cheap buys who have shown their abilities by standing out in their present leagues.

Trust has nothing to do with it, the players are here and can be judged against our knowledge of the teams we will face on the way up. In my opinion so far they are not of a high enough calibre to bring the kind of results that will be expected. Do you think the signings so far can build the foundations of a team capable of challenging next season based on your years of watching?

How do you get "cheap buys that have stood out in their league" ? By definition if they have stood out in their league then their value raises. Unless of course you are talking of scouring the non-leagues or lower leagues... but, again, these are the leagues you don't wish us to be sourcing signings from.

We aren't trying to find the odd gem we are trying to build a full squad out of these players by the looks of it.

Again.... we are a victim of our circumstance at this point. Making high quality signings at the present time is difficult given the league we are in. Judge the signing policy once we are back in the top flight and the finances allow a little more flexibility to pay higher transfer fees.

It is nothing short of remarkable what Warburton has done on a shoestring transfer budget. Yes, we can pay higher wages than anyone else in Scotland bar Celtic - but we haven't had a large transfer budget in which to entice better quality players

disagree a players value in general does not guarantee ability. £2m players are going to be better than freebies who cannot hold down positions at their team. A good player who would normally be £2m can of course be had for free if his contract runs out but that is not what we are doing or the way we are shopping.

We are not snapping up players who have an aura of success around them or a value that is estimated above their current standing. We are taking players who's performances have set their value as low not circumstance with the belief we can improve them. A different thing than snapping up a player who was wrongly valued due to contract status or a falling out with manager etc

as for how does it create new layers of players- if you take the market we are shopping right now ( england, lower leagues, free - <200k) that is a set number of players at any given time. You take those same parameters but extend them to include the rest of europe you create a bigger pool of players and with it increase the percentage of hidden gems per diddy per position. Instead of having 3 available left mids rated as 6 out of 10 you have 10 available laft mids rated at 6 out of 10. That way you don't get the first second or third choice you don't need to drop down to a slightly lower rated player (obviously working in averages cant account for the one off once in a lifetime scenarios)

How do you get "cheap buys that have stood out in their league" ? By definition if they have stood out in their league then their value raises. Unless of course you are talking of scouring the non-leagues or lower leagues... but, again, these are the leagues you don't wish us to be sourcing signings from.

Contract status being the main reason, league, countries footballing standard all play a part. A great player in england can be no better than a great player in france but their league would determine the price of the player not just ability.

Right now I do not exactly care, where a linked player comes from. I have never heard of Tavernier and Waghorn, only a vague idea about Halliday and Holt. Who am I to question W&W's investgative powers and football player knowledge? One can sure ask questions, but I for one find it difficult not to agree that W&W know what they are doing and for what outcome.